Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi v16.1 Crashing on Startup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all

I am using Kodi v16.1 - Jarvis on Windows 10 and I can't get past the startup screen.

I get the message 'Kodi is not responding' and I believe this has something to do with Graphics drivers or Direct X?

My Nvidia Graphics drivers are up to date and so is my Direct X - not too technical beyond here so need some assistance on what else I can try.

Log: http://pastebin.com/8Gkg2vt9

Thank you
These stumble out of the gate issues are troublesome to check for the user. In essence you need to make a text file with an editor and call it advancedsettings.xml and then Kodi will boot with each operational step detailed in a log file. Log file/Advanced (wiki) in section 1.2 Turn on debugging using a file (advancedsettings.xml).
(2016-12-04, 00:34)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]These stumble out of the gate issues are troublesome to check for the user. In essence you need to make a text file with an editor and call it advancedsettings.xml and then Kodi will boot with each operational step detailed in a log file. Log file/Advanced (wiki) in section 1.2 Turn on debugging using a file (advancedsettings.xml).

Thank you - it all looked too confusing at first glance but you pointing me towards 1.2 was helpful.

Here is my log file - hopefully I've done this right!
http://pastebin.com/8Gkg2vt9

I noticed something going on with it picking up an external application as a joystick so I uninstalled that and re-ran but it didn't fix the issue, here is the next log file though:
http://pastebin.com/MKAQpttS
Wondering where you picked up Kodi? it's either corrupt or some sort of build. There's an attempt to open addons.xml.gz and pre-load some add-ons.

Suggestion: Do a clean start (see my sig) with the Kodi available from top left DOWNLOAD if you don't have a TV tuner don't load in PVR
I've done a few fresh starts and fresh reinstalls already - the build I downloaded is from here as well.

Not sure what PVR is but I don't think I'm attempting to load it in PVR, just simply double clicking Kodi on my desktop and also tried running as admin & different compatibility modes with no success.
(2016-12-04, 06:28)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]Wondering where you picked up Kodi? it's either corrupt or some sort of build. There's an attempt to open addons.xml.gz and pre-load some add-ons.

Suggestion: Do a clean start (see my sig) with the Kodi available from top left DOWNLOAD if you don't have a TV tuner don't load in PVR

Not sure which log you're referencing there @PatK, but there is nothing untoward in the OP's log. The attempt to open addons.xml.gz is expected behaviour as Kodi is checking for updated add-ons in the official Kodi repo.

Unfortunately, there isn't anything in that log that stands out as a reason for Kodi to crash. Sad
A bit curious of the contents of the file,I went to the effort of dragging addons.xml.gz down from http://mirrors.kodi.tv/addons/jarvis/addons.xml.gz the last line in the log, unarchived the file and looked at the contents with an editor and saw references to "a lot of add-ons", and some other things (Watch live sports and shows from FOX Sports) which are not reflected in the log. Regardless; it looks like this part of the log is the stumbling block, the log ends after this in the last line.

If Kodi doesn't come alive on a clean system, I'm looking for any anomalies and the log doesn't seem to show much.
@ Undercola:
Maybe a long shot, but try going into C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\addons and deleting (or just cut and paste it to somewhere else) the folder called 'service.xbmc.versioncheck'. Then try again.
(2016-12-04, 17:08)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]A bit curious of the contents of the file,I went to the effort of dragging addons.xml.gz down from http://mirrors.kodi.tv/addons/jarvis/addons.xml.gz the last line in the log, unarchived the file and looked at the contents with an editor and saw references to "a lot of add-ons", and some other things (Watch live sports and shows from FOX Sports) which are not reflected in the log. Regardless; it looks like this part of the log is the stumbling block, the log ends after this in the last line.

If Kodi doesn't come alive on a clean system, I'm looking for any anomalies and the log doesn't seem to show much.

this is the default file we use to get the addon repo list
(2016-12-04, 17:42)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]@ Undercola:
Maybe a long shot, but try going into C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\addons and deleting (or just cut and paste it to somewhere else) the folder called 'service.xbmc.versioncheck'. Then try again.

that way you will for sure not be able to start Kodi
(2016-12-04, 17:44)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]

I must have a different kodi to him then.
(2016-12-04, 17:48)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-12-04, 17:44)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]

I must have a different kodi to him then.

at least in v17 it will
Will what in v17? Not start? Because again that's not the case on my system.
He's running (trying to run) 16.1 btw.
(2016-12-04, 00:19)Undercola Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all

I am using Kodi v16.1 - Jarvis on Windows 10 and I can't get past the startup screen.

I get the message 'Kodi is not responding' and I believe this has something to do with Graphics drivers or Direct X?

My Nvidia Graphics drivers are up to date and so is my Direct X - not too technical beyond here so need some assistance on what else I can try.

Log: http://pastebin.com/8Gkg2vt9

Thank you

I'd say stop wasting time on v16 and try v17
Thanks for all your suggestions - nothing working.

I guess I'll try beta.
Pages: 1 2