Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Correct audio settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I´m running KODI on a Nvidia Shield. Recently I changed my audio setup, by purchasing a Monitor Audio ASB-2 soundbar.

The Monitor Audio soundbar only has HDMI 1.4a so I´m running optical:

Nvidia Shield -> HDMI -> Panasonic CX725 -> Optical -> Monitor Audio ASB-2

Audio generally confuses me and I have no idea how the audio signal behaves/changes through my system. So I´m completely lost as to the correct settings.

If anyone could guide me through the most important settings I would greatly appreciate it.
Your Shield / Kodi audio output will not have changed, the only changes you have made come where the audio goes AFTER it gets to the TV. Therefore this is not a Kodi support issue.

I will move this to the hardware section, somebody may have an idea there but you may have better luck at a dedicated TV / Home Theatre forum.
If your TV has an HDMI ARC port, I would plug your Shield (and other devices) into the Soundbar and then have one HDMI from the soundbar to the TV.
(2016-12-05, 16:28)Daemaz Wrote: [ -> ]If your TV has an HDMI ARC port, I would plug your Shield (and other devices) into the Soundbar and then have one HDMI from the soundbar to the TV.

this will work with the shield but not the way i think OP wants, if you plug the shield into the soundbar then you will loose content protected UHD services from the shield as you arent HDCP 2.2 compatible through the soundbar iirc.

use ARC for audio rather than optical still but plug your devices into the TV directly and use HDMI out on the soundbar to the ARC HDMI port on the TV.

both your soundbar and TV will have settings to enable ARC in the audio sections of the setups.
(2016-12-05, 18:07)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-12-05, 16:28)Daemaz Wrote: [ -> ]If your TV has an HDMI ARC port, I would plug your Shield (and other devices) into the Soundbar and then have one HDMI from the soundbar to the TV.

this will work with the shield but not the way i think OP wants, if you plug the shield into the soundbar then you will loose content protected UHD services from the shield as you arent HDCP 2.2 compatible through the soundbar iirc.

use ARC for audio rather than optical still but plug your devices into the TV directly and use HDMI out on the soundbar to the ARC HDMI port on the TV.

both your soundbar and TV will have settings to enable ARC in the audio sections of the setups.

True, I will loose content protected UHD services if I go through the soundbar with HDMI. So that is not an option.

As far as I understand it, ARC is a bit of hit and miss with this particular soundbar and I´m out of HDMI ports on my TV (PC, Shield, PS 4, Apple TV 4 and only 3 ports). I´m thinking about a HDMI switch, but for now I use optical.

It is not all sound settings that confuses me. Actually it is only 3 that really boggles me:

- Audio output device: Android, PCM/Android, Raw Passthrough/ Android IEC?

- Number of channels?

- If passthrough is enable: Enable Passthrough: Dolby Digital (AC3)/Dolby Digital Plus ( E_AC3)/DTS?

Edit: Sorry about the misplacement of my post and thank you so far for the response.