Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: UPnP sharing - Kodi not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I'm sharing my Kodi library from a Minix Neo U1 (called "Base") to 3 android tablets and one Amazon Fire stick - all running Kodi.

When this works I can see the video library perfectly remotely, with all artwork and descriptions etc.

Unfortunately this fails more often than it works. "Base" is intermittently available as a source for the remote Kodis. It'll work fine for a few hours/days, then disappear. Sme of the tablets work, others don't. Sometimes the tablets will see each other (under browse for new share - UpnP devices) but not "Base", as if it doesn't exist.

If I run BubbleUPnP on "Base" all the remote devices can see it and stream 100% of the time without fail but this just displays the files in list - none of the artwork or descriptions or funky interface I enjoy with a proper Kodi library share.

It's completely random and really frustrating. Is there any explanation as to why Kodi cannot locate versions of itself but can see BubbleUPnP?
Upnp sucks, more devices more problems. Setup smb share with fixed IP adress.
Is there a guide anywhere on how to do that? Would that share the library properly, or just the files like Bubble?
(2016-12-10, 01:59)kinggo Wrote: [ -> ]Upnp sucks, more devices more problems. Setup smb share with fixed IP adress.
That's exactly what I did... Another issue with UPnP I found recently is with addition of the joystick scan. It will try to sync to a controller connected on a different device. I thought at first it was something in the scanner, but a packet trace showed me the answer.

>"< Glass<^>Rain >"<
What does the library look like remotely using SMB? Is it just a file list?

Doesn't explain why Kodi can see Bubble but not other Kodis though.
Library is library, it doesn't matter where the files are. I have 2 drives plugged in my tv, the other two in my fritzbox. You just have to configure everything the right way.
I have the same problem...

This is my setup: Nvidia Shield TV 16gb directly connected to my router via ethernet cable, it has 2 4tb Verbatim Store 'n' Save usb 3.0 plugged, that have my Kodi library (movies and tv series), I share that library with UPnP mainly to other 2 android boxes (Acemax KII - S812 and Acemax KIII - S905) I have at home and are connected to my router by wifi, sometimes I also share the library to other android devices (tablets and smartphones) or laptops, but the main purpose is to correctly share the library with the other 2 android boxes.

My "Shield Library" won't always be visible on the other two boxes, unless I open and close Kodi, on the box that's receiving the library, a few times, "a few" can be 1 or 10 times, quite annoying...

That said, what is the best way to share the library I have on my Nvidia Shield with the other 2 android boxes?

Thanks in advance!
I have my PC set to a static address. Playon and my network share file works just fine. Id suggest setting as many of your network addresses to static ip's that you can especially if your accessing remotely
(2017-01-15, 01:45)tornicade Wrote: [ -> ]I have my PC set to a static address. Playon and my network share file works just fine. Id suggest setting as many of your network addresses to static ip's that you can especially if your accessing remotely

I have the wireless / wifi access to my router limited by mac address (of each device I have at home), this is probably a newbie question but, how can I set a static ip address to each one of my devices? I'm guessing that it's done under router configuration, but I can't see any option to set static ip's. Thanks!
(2017-01-15, 22:24)BrunoNRG Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-15, 01:45)tornicade Wrote: [ -> ]I have my PC set to a static address. Playon and my network share file works just fine. Id suggest setting as many of your network addresses to static ip's that you can especially if your accessing remotely

I have the wireless / wifi access to my router limited by mac address (of each device I have at home), this is probably a newbie question but, how can I set a static ip address to each one of my devices? I'm guessing that it's done under router configuration, but I can't see any option to set static ip's. Thanks!

You set the static ip at the device level. for windows it is in the adapter settings and properties for IP4, for android device its usually the advanced option in the connection setting.

You can always google each device to see how to set up the IP but youll find it in your connection manager

Once you have your network essentially static then You can troubleshoot more effectively if there is still issues from Remote access.
(2017-01-16, 03:16)tornicade Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-15, 22:24)BrunoNRG Wrote: [ -> ]

You set the static ip at the device level. for windows it is in the adapter settings and properties for IP4, for android device its usually the advanced option in the connection setting.

You can always google each device to see how to set up the IP but youll find it in your connection manager

Once you have your network essentially static then You can troubleshoot more effectively if there is still issues from Remote access.

I've just set static ip's for all android boxes (shield / kii / kiii), access to shield library seems to be more stable now, but kii and kiii still can't locate my shield library sometimes (now I only have to close / open kodi once or twice for the shield library to be detected), how can I troubleshoot / know what's causing this?