Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Install skin from python addon?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to install a skin from an addon, the skin is available from a repository and can be installed manually.

I have tried adding the skin to the addon.xml as follows:

Code:
<requires>
  <import addon="skin.mimic" version="5.0.2" />
</requires>

And I have also tried installing it in the addon body as follows:

Code:
xbmc.executebuiltin('InstallAddon(skin.mimic)')

Yet neither way seem to actually install the skin. Any tips ?
Why do you want to do that?
(2017-01-17, 22:01)tvking1905 Wrote: [ -> ]I am trying to install a skin from an addon, the skin is available from a repository and can be installed manually.

Code:
<requires>
</requires>

Code:

Not I see the version number in the Kodi repo is only 3.4.2. I would test with this and see if it is still an issue.
Also make sure you are installing from a zip and not updating the addon directly as it only appears to install extras when installed.
I'm automating the configuration of my Kodi installs because I am currently testing out skins and plugins on lots of different platforms.

The current way people seem to do it is manually copyting the skin files into the kodi home dir, which seems a bit hacky to me!

And because I can, really Smile
(2017-01-17, 23:13)Protocol-X Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-17, 22:01)tvking1905 Wrote: [ -> ]I am trying to install a skin from an addon, the skin is available from a repository and can be installed manually.

Code:
<requires>
</requires>

Code:

Not I see the version number in the Kodi repo is only 3.4.2. I would test with this and see if it is still an issue.
Also make sure you are installing from a zip and not updating the addon directly as it only appears to install extras when installed.

The version in the Krypton repo is 5.0.2.

Hmmm... I am hoping to install the skin directly from an HTTP repo if possible.
Why are wanting to do this? Provide some "build"?
Nope... Buggy builds have their place... In the recycle bin Smile

I'm currently learning more and toying about with the internals of kodi after being a regular user for a good four plus years..

PS fantastic work. I have Emby and Kodi running on three TVs in my house, all works seamlessly!
So it turns out the depends for an addon are installed when the addon is installed from the repo.

As I was just editing the addon directly in my home folder, it never noticed I added the skin as an import! Doh!

Problem solved!
(2017-01-19, 00:07)tvking1905 Wrote: [ -> ]So it turns out the depends for an addon are installed when the addon is installed from the repo.

As I was just editing the addon directly in my home folder, it never noticed I added the skin as an import! Doh!

Problem solved!

I mentioned this in my original response that dependencies do not install if you are just editing the source. You must install via a zip or in your example a repo. If you bypass the installer only your addon installs. Wink