Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Dumb non-techie "can Kodi do this" question. (web sharing/streaming).
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(Couldn't figure our where to ask this, so please excuse me and move it if this is the wrong place)

I’ve used XBMC/Kodi for many years on my Mac Mini based home theater system and I’ve often wanted to share something from my system with a friend – as you might share a YouTube video – but I’ve never figured out how.

I recently decided to research if there’s an add-on, plug-in or other software that can do this ...and ended up totally overwhelmed by technology options that were so complicated that I couldn't tell whether their functionality included the one simple thing I was looking for.

All I want to do is to send an email that says “Hey Mom, watch this great video I was telling you about on my home server [URL].

Simple question: Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!
Thanks for the reply @tornicade but I've looked at this already and don't think it does what I want. This is why I researched add-ons and plug-ins ....

Sure, it's related, but all I can see is a web interface to Kodi - I don't what to give someone access to my whole Kodi system!

I simply want to allow someone to stream one file from my library. Can it do that? (If so it's unclear!)
you can try this.. you would either need Ubuntu or android. and you would need to create an SSH server

https://thepcspy.com/read/remote-streami...xbmc-kodi/

personally I am having issues with IPV6 addressing
Take a look at PlayOn.
The answer everyone is tap dancing around is that there isn't any way to do this right now. With that said, there's no reason it couldn't be done. You'd basically just need a modified version of the debug log uploader and maybe some way to connect to an smtp email server. Alternatively, I bet the trakt addon could probably be modified to accomplish something similar. But at present, I'm definitely not aware of anything.

edit: Nevermind, I am dumb. I was reading this as wanting to share your youtube link, not wanting to share a link from your home server. The first wouldn't be too tricky. The second would be incredibly difficult. Either way, there's definitely no way to do this now with Kodi. Honestly, it seems more like something one of the server platforms (plex or emby) would do.
If it is from you home you get a Linksys router that has a built-in FTP server... U plug the USB into the router the router is connected to the Internet you email whoever the link to the website of the FTP server and there you got... I have done this with small 1 to 2gb videos... Not sure what it would go with anything larger. And it doesn't have anything to do with Kodi unless you set up a drive to share and the add it a source to there Kodi....
Does this mom/friend live in a separate household? Do you own the copyright in this material?
I'd say investigate Plex
(2017-01-18, 09:58)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]it seems more like something one of the server platforms (plex or emby) would do.

Plex and Emby (as well as Serviio and Universal) are options I looked at. Both claim to work with Kodi. But even after ploughing through pages of technical guff, I couldn't figure out if this is possible. I think these are all focused on giving a full interface to the library over the web. Not what I want.

(Also, they look more like alternatives to Kodi than add-ons.)

I'm unclear about this too, but someone suggested Dropbox or Google Drive might be able stream individual files. However this means making a copy of the file outside my library ...a step I was hoping that Kodi (or plugin/3rd party app) would avoid.
Setup VPN between two places and get her a Chromecast.
(2017-01-18, 19:13)bry Wrote: [ -> ]Setup VPN between two places and get her a Chromecast.

So... that would be a firm "no" to my question then?
(2017-01-18, 19:18)malebron Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-18, 19:13)bry Wrote: [ -> ]Setup VPN between two places and get her a Chromecast.

So... that would be a firm "no" to my question then?
Not really.
Depending on how your files are stored, you can create an FTP/SMB/NFS server in your house, VPN between the 2 places, and modify the LogUploader as Nate suggested.
In my opinion, too much work for too little gain.
Also as like nickr highlighted, this can have some licensing and copyrights violations involved.

Edit: If you are asking if there exists an addon already that can do all that, then it is a firm no (as far as I know). But with the above tinkering you can get it to work.
For kodi itself there is no direct way of doing what you're asking. Mainly you'd be using other services that are included in the OS or even with the Kodi distribution.

However, if both parties are running kodi from a full fledged OS (Linux/Mac OSX/Windows) than maybe check out Resilio Sync. The software uses BitTorrent technology to share directories across networks with authorised users without the need for much technical knowhow. It makes the process as easy as sharing a Dropbox or Google drive folder. Obviously the computer sharing needs to be on all the time.

Disclaimer: I don't condone sharing copyrighted material this way and I will not be accountable in any way by the way you use this software.
(2017-01-18, 12:41)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Does this mom/friend live in a separate household? Do you own the copyright in this material?

ReallyHuh The hall monitor from grade schoolHuh If I own a DVD and I take it to a friends house, I can watch it SiHuhHuh If I have ripped the DVD, put it on my NAS, go to my friend's house, stream it to his TV....what is the differenceHuh None!! Not piracy as I see it.
Pages: 1 2