Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 1080 TV playback is choppy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I installed Kodi 17 back when it was Beta{3?) and uninstalled it due to choppy 1080 television playback. I thought I'd give RC3 a go and see if it is better. I still have the same issue. The 720 and SD channels are fine and so are 1080p MKV movies but the 1080 tv is very choppy. I did try setting the "automatically adjust frame rate."

It all works flawlessly on Kodi 16.

I am using TVHeadend 4.0.9 and a Hauppauge HD Quad tuner. The frontend is on a Nvidia Shield TV.
The server and the frontend are hardwired gigabit.
This is the stream profile I am using:

MPEG-TS Pass-through
Default Priority:Normal
Force Priority:0
Timeout (sec) (0=infinite):0
Restart On Error: not checked
Continue On Access Error: checked
Rewrite PMT: checked
Rewrite PAT: checked
Rewrite SDT: checked
Rewrite EIT: checked

Is this an issue or am I missing something in my setup?

Thanks!
I'm having the same issue here. TVHeadend 4.1 with front ends on pi3, np, and ftv stick 2. All of them back on Jarvis. Was about to write a post asking what changed in the rendering pipeline. Maybe someone in the know will respond and let us know.
Deinterlacing?
(2017-01-24, 08:27)rpcameron Wrote: [ -> ]Deinterlacing?

That can't be since 16.1 is also deinterlacing and we are using the same source with 16.1 and 17.
I meant have the deinterlacing settings been checked. I noticed when I migrated from Jarvis to Krypton that I had to change my deinterlacing settings as they were changed. With my Pi front ends I noticed this was causing the same symptoms/problems described by the OP, and it took me a while to check the interlacing settings because I (incorrectly) assumed they the same as I had under Jarvis ...
(2017-01-24, 23:14)rpcameron Wrote: [ -> ]I meant have the deinterlacing settings been checked. I noticed when I migrated from Jarvis to Krypton that I had to change my deinterlacing settings as they were changed. With my Pi front ends I noticed this was causing the same symptoms/problems described by the OP, and it took me a while to check the interlacing settings because I (incorrectly) assumed they the same as I had under Jarvis ...

Oh. I must admit that I did not check that. I'll have a look at that when I have a moment. Thanks
(2017-01-24, 23:14)rpcameron Wrote: [ -> ]I meant have the deinterlacing settings been checked. I noticed when I migrated from Jarvis to Krypton that I had to change my deinterlacing settings as they were changed. With my Pi front ends I noticed this was causing the same symptoms/problems described by the OP, and it took me a while to check the interlacing settings because I (incorrectly) assumed they the same as I had under Jarvis ...

Actually aren't the deinterlace settings in the video menu when you are watching a video? I haven't seen a setting that sets the default deinterlace setting? Can you explain what you changed and what you changed it to?
(2017-01-25, 00:55)rykr Wrote: [ -> ]

Actually aren't the deinterlace settings in the video menu when you are watching a video? I haven't seen a setting that sets the default deinterlace setting? Can you explain what you changed and what you changed it to?

Yes, that is how it is. But, there is also the option to make that channel's deinterlacing settings the default for all channels. So, find the deinterlacing/hwaccel option that works, then set it as the default for all videos for that device.

(I believe under Jarvis the deinterlacing settings could be set from the main settings, too ...)
I never thought about deinterlace settings either. On my firestick, that is still running 16, deinterlace is set to auto so I really don't know what it is doing. On the Nvidia shield it was set to on. So, I turned it off for that channel and playback smoothed out. Turned it on and it was choppy again. So I turned it off and saved as default for all channels. I checked a couple HD channels and they seem ok. I guess Kodi was sending interlaced video to my progressive scan TV?

I will mess with it more later but initially it looks good.

Thanks rpcameron!