Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Context menu not displayed for some remote control keys
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have installed TV Headend and the frontend on Kodi (v17 RC3 via Libreelec on a RaspberryPi).
To control Kodi I am using the remote control that came with my TV (using CEC support from Kodi).

As I do not have a Menu/Options button that is unused by the main TV functions and could be used to open the context menu, I have used the keymap editor add on to assign one of the colored keys to open the context menu.

This is working for all parts of Kodi fine, but in the TV part I can only use it to open the context menu in the "Guide" section, but it does not work in the "Recordings" or the "Timer" section. This means I cannot delete a recorded tv program via the remote for example
I have already figured out that the context menu can be opened properly if I assign the rewind button (key code 226) to the context menu as a test, however this is not a permanent solution as this removes the original purpose of the rewind button in other parts of Kodi.
The color buttons are my only possibility to assign one of them to execute the context menu, but neither for the red button (key code 251) nor for the blue button (key code 254) the context menu is working in the two sections.

I believe this is a bug, is this then the right forum to post it?

Thanks for all the work on Kodi, this is a great piece of software
Some buttons are context sensitive and it may be that the red and blue are over ridden in the PVR context. Take a good look at the keymap.xml and remote.xml files on your system.
Thanks for the hint. You are right.

I had a look and once I switched on logging as per the Kodi Wiki I could see that the pressing the button was properly recorded but that the "red" key did not bring back the context menu.

Guide - red button configured

23:53:02.126 T:1961897984 DEBUG: OnKey: 251 (0xfb, obc4) pressed, action is contextmenu

Recordings - red button configured

23:53:48.073 T:1961897984 DEBUG: OnKey: 251 (0xfb, obc4) pressed, action is Red

Guide - rewind button configured

23:55:01.013 T:1961897984 DEBUG: OnKey: info (0xe2) pressed, action is contextmenu

Recordings - rewind button configured

23:56:11.250 T:1961897984 DEBUG: OnKey: info (0xe2) pressed, action is contextmenu

Took another round of thinking and research in the Kodi Wiki along with the log file to find out which section I need to adjust. Now I have "my" keymaps file.
Once put into the user specific folder (/storage/.kodi/userdata/keymaps) and restarting Kodi the red button works as I expected it.

For those interested:
Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <key id="251">ContextMenu</key>
    </keyboard>
  </global>      

<TVRecordings>
    <keyboard>
    </keyboard>
</TVRecordings>

<TVTimers>
    <keyboard>
    </keyboard>
</TVTimers>
</keymap>
Hi,

Thanks for the detailed posting. The solution fixed the same problem for me.