Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [DVBLogic] PVR/Live TV drops out after prolonged period of time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Using latest Libreelec Beta 7.95.2 with DVBLink.

After a prolonged period of time (~ 24 hrs of no use), Live TV doesn't appear to start when selecting a channel - screen dims and I get a blue "loading/buffering) circle.... I'm running Libreelec on 2 RPI2 one with Wi-Fi and the other cabled, the Wifi RPI is in a room and isn't frequently used, I originally thought it may be just my Wi-Fi dropping out, however, yesterday I witnessed the same issue on the "cabled" network RPI2 (the cabled RPI is used more frequently, so I guess that's the reason why I've never witnessed it)

I'm thinking of just adding a cron job to restart every night, but that's not really a long term solution and was wondering whether anyone else has the same issue?

Will get a log on here as soon as I can (hopefully tonight)...
Most likely an issue of DVBLink. The addon is responsible for handling connections to the backend. I had a brief look into the code of DVDlink and could not find anything that handles reconnecting.
Thanks FernetMenta for the pointer - it's always a problem for me to understand whether the problem is with Kodi, the addon or the backend software! I'll raise a support ticket with DVBLogic

Edit: support ticket raised... fingers crossed..
(2017-02-06, 18:19)AshG Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks FernetMenta for the pointer - it's always a problem for me to understand whether the problem is with Kodi, the addon or the backend software! I'll raise a support ticket with DVBLogic

Edit: support ticket raised... fingers crossed..

Yes, fingers crossed. This would not be the first finger pointing between the DVBlogic and Kodi teams.

Bart
Hmmmm response from DVBLogic

"it's hard to say, as we just provide source code to Kodi team and they build a PVR fro each platform"

So not exactly a clear response!

MODS - this is DVBLogic add-on specific - feel free to move to the correct subforum
(2017-02-07, 15:53)AshG Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmmm response from DVBLogic

"it's hard to say, as we just provide source code to Kodi team and they build a PVR fro each platform"

If this is their attitude, no further questions about the quality of their software and the support. Time to switch to another pvr backend, I'd say.
Their response is kind of funny. Actually kodi provides the infrastructure for addons to build. Addon authors are fully in charge of their addons. Kodi just builds them. As long as the build does not fail, team kodi won't investigate.

Personally I was never in favour of Kodi having control of the addon repositories. Meanwhile there are lots of addons that are maintained by their authors in their repos. As the maintainer of vnsi I have moved the repo from kodi-pvr org to my own org. The addon is still built by Kodi infrastructure, but responsibilities are much clearer now.
it's interesting... i'm not sure if its a lack of understanding or whether they just don't want to support the Kodi addon anymore, i hope its not the latter as i specifically paid for the license in the belief that a commercial business would give long term stability. I use a windows backend as i stream Netflix/Amazon via Playon to the kids RPI's upstairs....

I guess if all else fails i guess i could go back to a Linux based PVR and run Playon on a VM virtual-box or something....
i tried something different today, i thought i would try and play a "TV show" (a .avi) file stored on the file server on the same machine as my PVR backend, it took a good 5-10 minutes to start playback...

after 3 or 4 minutes i get this:

Code:
13:06:35.565 T:1519383456   DEBUG: CSMBFile::Open - opened smb://HTPC/G/iTunes/iTunes Media/TV Shows/Austin & Ally/Season 04/Austin.and.Ally.S04E18.SD.TV-w4f.mp4, fd=-1
13:06:35.566 T:1519383456    INFO: SMBFile->Open: Unable to open file : 'smb://USERNAME:PASSWORD@HTPC/G/iTunes/iTunes%20Media/TV%20Shows/Austin%20%26%20Ally/Season%2004/Austin.and.Ally.S04E18.SD.TV-w4f.mp4'
                                            unix_err:'6e' error : 'Connection timed out'

i was pretty confident that Live TV wasn't going to start, as recordings and recently viewed channels were not shown and instead just showed the swirling "loader". After the AVI file eventually played i stopped it and went back to the home screen and everything came to life and was able to play Live TV....

So i'm guessing something is going to sleep somewhereHuh? i'm pretty sure it's not my backend, as the RPI that is cabled accesses it pretty much straight away, the RPI that's having problems is USB WiFi - i'm wondering whether the USB device is going to sleep? when i navigate to Systems > Networks the MAC address says "busy"??

I'm guessing the PVR addon times out quicker than "kodi" itselfHuh? i'm going to hard wire this RPI (via LAN over Power) to test my theory, this i guess will at least prove whether this is a WiFI device issue - although for me the Addon should fail gracefully rather than kill everything...
A bit of an update for those using DVBLogic with this issue, after raising a support ticket with DVBlogic they have investigated and it appears they can not replicate the issue... although give them their due they are giving me regular updates.

I've had growing concerns in regards to the DVBLogic addon and the support that it is receiving from them, So in the meantime, I've gone full circle and am now testing out TVHeadend, a backend i used 2 or 3 years ago. it's vastly improved since i last used it and so far i'm very impressed timeshifting is dead smooth, channel changes are quick and everything seems pretty stable.
(2017-02-16, 23:51)AshG Wrote: [ -> ]A bit of an update for those using DVBLogic with this issue, after raising a support ticket with DVBlogic they have investigated and it appears they can not replicate the issue... although give them their due they are giving me regular updates.

I've had growing concerns in regards to the DVBLogic addon and the support that it is receiving from them, So in the meantime, I've gone full circle and am now testing out TVHeadend, a backend i used 2 or 3 years ago. it's vastly improved since i last used it and so far i'm very impressed timeshifting is dead smooth, channel changes are quick and everything seems pretty stable.

Unfortunately, TVheadend is not available for Windows, and I don't want an other OS.
I am currently using ArgusTV and while not perfect, it works better than DVBlink.

Bart
I am also finding DVBLogic's support pretty lacklustre recently. And I've also seen that "Kodi team compile the addons" line from them on their forum too which absolutely does not wash with me. I'm now desperately looking for a replacement that can handle the Sky UK (OpenEPG) guide data and series links.

Please help me here if you have any suggestions.