Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Playing videos without restarting Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First, I loved XBMC. Now I have upgraded to Kodi 17 for Windows 8 and love it even more than XBMC.

Second, I apologize if the following questions have been answered but I have searched everywhere and can't find the answers.

I am trying to do 2 things:

1. When I am watching a video and press Stop, how do I start it playing again? I don't mean Pause and Play but actually stopping it and restarting it from the beginning. I can't find any button or setting to let me do it. I always have to exit Kodi and relaunch the video.

2. As above, when I stop a video how do I play a new one without exiting Kodi and restarting? For example, in Windows Explorer I click on a video and Kodi plays it. But, if I stop that video and click another one in Windows Explorer it won't play. I have to exit Kodi and then click the video to play it.

Any help will be appreciated.
Interesting way of using Kodi, not too many people use it as a standalone media player, I'm not sure I have a direct solution when handled this way. Have a look here https://kodi.tv/about/ and here http://kodi.wiki/view/Quick_start_guide Sounds like the is the firs time you are working with Kodi and knowing what it's all about is important.

1) you could either use (some skin dependency here) the dragbar, fast rewind, or 00+retun key to start over (the down arrow key jumps back quite a distance too if the OSD is not up).

2 ) This question is a bit tougher and brings back my first observation, that you're using this in more or less an unconventional way, and the reason for the wiki links. You have explorer set so that 'Open With' defaults to Kodi and you can use it this way for sure. But only in the method you have described, with all it's limitations with each video. Launching Kodi as a standalone program, configure sources in videos and you will be on the way to new appreciation for the software in front of you.
Thanks for your help PatK. I haven't been able to get it to do things the way I want but I understand that Kodi is designed as a "system" and not just a media player.

I'll be reading through the information you provided and maybe rethink how I'm using Kodi.

One thing that annoys me, though (and I haven't found how to "fix" it yet) is having to reset Kodi when I use my TV. Let me explain.

I normally use Kodi to play videos on my computer and it uses the settings for my monitor and sound there without a problem. When I plug my TV into my HDMI on my computer, I can set Kodi to use those without any problems also.

However, Kodi won't change to my TV automatically like XBMC did. It continues to use my computer settings and I have to manually change the monitor and audio settings each time. I can't figure out how to make it go to the correct settings automatically when I plug in my TV. Like I said, XBMC adjusted automatically and it was great.
Just buy a raspberry pi or an odroid c2 for your tv and keep your regular computer for computing.
Ah, so you know Kodi from the XBMC days, so it's not like you're totally unfamiliar with the software. If you're lucky enough to have identical resolutions on both monitor and TV then things are a bit simpler, but not impossible. Most of this switching between computer and tv is part & parcel of the graphic engine and how well it handles these flips. Using the display switch (keyboard win+p) you can set-up your desktop on either system, launch Kodi in windows/or full windows mode and enjoy. There's a number of factors at play here, you need to turn on your TV prior to Kodi launch, so that handshaking will let the systems know what is possible for the resolutions (EDID http://www.extron.com/company/article.aspx?id=uedid) and then HDCP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandw...Protection) although the later wasn't in full force in the early days, how this is handled by your graphics card is the subject of many of the messages in the forum.

The work rounds if you have issues, are creating a GUIsettings.xml for each device, and use some sort of batch file to inject the xml according to device, use windowed mode and Krypton offers a boarder less window now. . or Alternatively as posted by nickra dedicated system for one side or the other.