Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can't get xbox360 controller to work with Debian Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi - One of my first posts here so please be gentle. I saw some posts with ubuntu and mint having similar probs and I'm not seeing some config files they have (probably because they are using ubuntu-xboxdriv which I am not using ubuntu). I'm running debian jessie with a backported Kodi from SID (version 17). I'm trying connect my xbox360 wireless controller to control Kodi but am having no luck. I've disabled the xpad driver and am using xboxdriv. Using xboxdriv, I can use the controllers with retroarch. So I know at least the OS can see the joystick. However, nothing happens with kodi. I've tried the Kodi's settings/system/input to access the controller configuration (this is the window that looks like the xbox360 controller). I cannot set any buttons. I've tried some keymapping xml file without luck. Tried running Kodi as root and still no luck. This isn't a one computer specific prob. I can repeat the problem with just xorg, kodi and xboxdriv installed on a barebones netinstall debian on a totally different machine.
Can someone point me to ways to fix this problem?
In ubuntu you need to install kodi-peripheral-joystick to use the joystick on kodi 17. Without it it will not detect the controller.
Problem solved. Just wanted to make a note that installing kodi-peripheral-joystick lets the controller work fine. I worked with someone who wrote code for me to compile it to make a deb for debian.
Can u give any hint, how to build this in debian?
i fixed my problem by using kodi-peripheral-joystick package from deb-multimedia.org.

https://deb-multimedia.org/dists/unstabl...l-joystick

(ok, pl dont beat me Wink i know this repo can cripple package management)

only problem was dependency.

workaround - extract deb package, change dependency in control file and rebuild

dpkg-deb -R kodi-peripheral-joystick_1.2.1-dmo1_amd64.deb
change kodi-peripheral-joystick_1.2.1-dmo1_amd64/DEBIAN/control file
kodi (>= 5:17.0~) to kodi (>= 2:17.0~)
dpkg-deb -b kodi-peripheral-joystick_1.2.1-dmo1_amd64

dpkg -i kodi-peripheral-joystick_1.2.1-dmo1_amd64.deb