Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is this KODI Box useless?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Being of limited Scottish ancestry I purchased the cheapest Kodi box I could find: An MBOX.. with Android 6.0 .. Kodi 16.1 .. 8 gigs

Problem #1: I have tried every possible way to upgrade the box to Kodi 17 Krypton.. (hoping that would solve some issues) .. but this MBOX ..T95X - won't let Me install the new version. I have gone into settings and enabled "allow external .apk files) .. but it won't do squat. Trying to use the GoogleStore to download the Kodi Krypton package goes nowhere .. as the video screen will allow Me to enter My email name.. but No room for the password.. so I can't use the google play .. download package.

I also can't use the external package .. (an .apk - even with that option enabled).

So this box is a piece of Junk? It seems that way. Even playing back local content on a chip .. the box freezes and starts over.

Any help appreciated, but the major problem is that I am just too damn cheap?

Thanks
(2017-02-17, 19:57)dakotamoon Wrote: [ -> ]I have gone into settings and enabled "allow external .apk files) .. but it won't do squat.
Please be more precise. Do you get some error or...?

(2017-02-17, 19:57)dakotamoon Wrote: [ -> ]Trying to use the GoogleStore to download the Kodi Krypton package goes nowhere .. as the video screen will allow Me to enter My email name.. but No room for the password.. so I can't use the google play .. download package.
How do you mean there is no room for password? You don't have 2 text boxes (1 for the email, 1 for the password)? Or password text box can't accept all characters?

BTW... Mbox is not a "box". Mbox is just a launcher - one of many.

So, what tv box do you have we still don't know so we can't tell you is it a crap or not Wink
Thanks, Bob. The box I have won't let any external .apk files install - no error message it just sits there when I double click the .apk file.

On the Playstore App. I only have one box for an email, there is no box for a password.. so I can't use Playstore.

Sighh.
That Sunvell T95X / AMLogic S905 box you have there is perfectly capable of running LibreELEC Kodi.

I suggest running a dual boot setup with LibreELEC Kodi, like this thread demonstrates:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=307722
(2017-02-22, 16:54)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]That Sunvell T95X / AMLogic S905 box you have there is perfectly capable of running LibreELEC Kodi.

I suggest running a dual boot setup with LibreELEC Kodi, like this thread demonstrates:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=307722
How do you know it is Sunvell box?
Lot of manufacturers have T95X label on their boxes. Like MXQ for example. There are dozens of manufacturers of those boxes with different hardware in it.
Even Sunvell has 2 variants of T95X. S905 and S905X.
Whatever they want to label these clone boxes, it really does not matter - especially if using Ethernet only.
So long as it has a S905 or S905X in it you can still run LibreELEC Kodi on it.