Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 'Invsible' PVR Rule Timer Types since Krypton - what do do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Krypton introduces the ability to change a PVR Rule's timer type via the Timer Settings dialog (not all backends implement this yet)

If you can't change the type (the timer is read-only, or an 'upcoming' child) then "Type" is greyed out.
At other times, the 'Type' field presents a list of valid timer types which you could change it to.

Unfortunately, if the current type isn't a valid one (e.g. the EPG entry for a 'series' timer item no longer exists, or this is an 'advanced' type your backend can create but Kodi can only tweak), the type's description no-longer appears in the settings dialog. Instead the first 'valid' type you could change it to appears.

The Problem
1) the Type displayed in the dialog box is incorrect
2) the editable fields below are those for the displayed type, not the current type.

Potential solutions
a) make 'Type' read-only for any type which isn't currently valid for creation (not just read-only or upcoming types)
b) add the 'invalid' type to the list of options you could change the rule's type to, and let the pvr client addon notice if it changes.

Both of these have disadvantages.

solution a) means you won't be able to change a rule type from one not fully supported by the kodi front end into one which is fully supported (e.g. converting a broken 'series' timer into an 'any time this title appears' or manual timer)

solution b) might imply more control over the backend than you've actually got (already an issue imo given that most pvr clients don't actually support changing a rule timer type - yet?).

I had a quick play with the code and both should be do-able (although I coudn't get b to work properly, but probably that's just my poor C++ coding skills!)

Is anybody else annoyed by this? If so what would you prefer to see as a solution?
No response, so I've gone with option b).
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/11753