Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: LibreElec and 4K HDR Videos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi to all, I have a PC with LibreELEC v8.0 + Intel KabyLake + nVidia GTX 1070 + Samsung KS8000 and when I try to play a video in HDR, the TV don't recognize it.
But LibreElec support HDR?

Thanks a lot
No it does not (and this was concerning your TV not "detecting" them).
OK, thanks...but what is the problem? The kernel of LibreElec or the nVidia card?
a) Decode -> b) Render -> c) Display

a) Nvidia has no hevc-10 bit decoding support on linux with vdpau. Therefore SW decoding is used (check)
b) Render only has 8 bit visual support non check
c) Display from the the display driver does whatever it wants, most likely RGB24 non check

A long way to go ...
Ok, thanks for your support....
Hi Fritsch, just having a read of this post and was wondering is there any update on getting hevc-10 bit support on Linux with vdpau?

Thanks for all the work and info you guys give on this forum
No - vdpau (the decoding standard) itself does not support it and also nvidia's driver does not implement. Absolutely zero we can do for VDPAU.
Fritsch, thank you for the reply, that kinda sucks doesn't it? My HTPC (Core i3 7100, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD & Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB) looks like it will be going back to Windows 10 from Libreelec in order to get proper 4K HDR movies to play. What really sucks is a Beelink GT1 Ultimate Amlogic S912 android box running the experimental LibreELEC 8.0 for S912 from kszaq seems to play everything I throw at it, 1080p, 4k & even 4K HDR. Hopefully Nvidia will get their act together and sort out proper drivers for Linux, in the meantime back to Windows 10 and I suppose trying to get 4K HDR on Windows is going to be a pain !!!!!!
Alternatively you can implement CUVID - yet another proprietary nvidia decoding mechanism ... that one exists in ffmpeg already.
cool, I'll certainly have a look into that, thank you again for the excellent info