Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DTS-HD not working, getting DTS instead
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

Not sure if this is a problem with Kodi or just me not reading MediaInfo right, would appreciate someone's help please

Setup details:
Kodi - 17.0
PC - Lenovo T510 (nVidia NVS3100m)
OS - Windows 10 64-bit
AVR - Onkyo TX-NR717
Connectivity - Laptop (DisplayPort to HDMI converter) -> AVR -> TV

The NVS 3100m doesn't have hardware support for HD formats however it does support 8 channel output. Therefore I have set Kodi's audio settings to WASAPI and enabled passthrough only for the lossy audio formats (DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD disabled).

Problem:
I can get TrueHD audio decoded in Kodi and come to my AVR as LPCM (I can hear the beautiful quality immediately) but DTS-HD movies are not decoded and instead are bitstreamed as DTS (AVR says "DTS").

This is what MediaInfo is saying about one particular movie I have however I can't tell if it's HD or not as even MediaInfo seem unsure??

Code:
Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : DTS
Format/Info                              : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile                           : MA / Core
Mode                                     : 16
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : A_DTS
Duration                                 : 1 h 47 min
Bit rate mode                            : Variable / Constant
Bit rate                                 : Unknown / 1 509 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 8 channels / 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE / Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 93.750 FPS (512 spf)
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossless / Lossy
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
It is HD. Refer MA.
Thank you. In that case I wonder what am I doing wrong that I'm only getting the core stream?
Perhaps a debug log (wiki)
Why don't you disable passthrough in general? Makes to sense to passthorugh the lossy formats if your system can do 8 channel LPCM.
Please download the log from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o2luvzmx4k6llto/kodi.7z?dl=0

What I did was this:
1. Enabled logging and quit
2. Launch Kodi
3. Play movie "Moana" selecting DTS-HD track. result = DTS bitstream
4. Play movie "Blade Runner" selecting TrueHD track. result = decoded by Kodi
5. Play movie "The Jungle Book" selecting DTS-HD track. result = DTS bitsream

Interestingly when clicking "Information" while the DTS-HD movies are playing there is a DTS-MA badge for both
Works as designed. No logs required. If logs are required, using sites like pastebin increases the chance that people look into it.
Sorry not sure what you mean by "works as designed". I'm expecting a decoded DTS-HD stream and I'm getting bitstreamed DTS instead.

Re the logs, my file exceeded the allowed size in pastebin, hence the dropbox link

(2017-03-04, 10:05)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]Why don't you disable passthrough in general? Makes to sense to passthorugh the lossy formats if your system can do 8 channel LPCM.
I want to know first that Kodi is decoding DTS-HD
Hi guys just wondering if any has had a chance to look at the log? Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help, thanks in advance
I don't have a DB account so can't see your log but fwiw I had a similar issue and found audio settings need to be waspi and not direct.
I know you are in Windows, but in here it says:
Quote:Where a video has TrueHD 7.1 audio, this can be decoded by Kodi to PCM 7.1, however DTS-HD 7.1 audio can't be decoded by Kodi, only the embedded DTS Core 5.1 can be decoded to PCM 5.1 audio

In any case, I have tried myself, and even from Linux I get a DTS-HD bitstream or a 7.1 channels output LPCM when selecting passing-thru or not, so I guess it might be an old thing?
(2017-03-08, 15:25)larsete Wrote: [ -> ]I know you are in Windows, but in here it says:
Quote:Where a video has TrueHD 7.1 audio, this can be decoded by Kodi to PCM 7.1, however DTS-HD 7.1 audio can't be decoded by Kodi, only the embedded DTS Core 5.1 can be decoded to PCM 5.1 audio

That information is out of date, we can now fully decode DTS-HD 7.1 into LPCM 7.1.
(2017-03-04, 15:53)br0ken_bitz Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry not sure what you mean by "works as designed". I'm expecting a decoded DTS-HD stream and I'm getting bitstreamed DTS instead.

Re the logs, my file exceeded the allowed size in pastebin, hence the dropbox link

(2017-03-04, 10:05)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]Why don't you disable passthrough in general? Makes to sense to passthorugh the lossy formats if your system can do 8 channel LPCM.
I want to know first that Kodi is decoding DTS-HD

That's mostly likely because you've got DTS Capable Receiver enabled, so in that situation we take the DTS Core from the DTS-HD stream, if you want to fully decode DTS-HD 7.1 to LPCM 7.1 then you must ensure both DTS-HD Capable Receiver and DTS Capable Receiver are NOT enabled.
Yes that was it thank you!!
Hey everyone. After RIDICULOUS amount of research I have fixed the issue with Nvidia shield TV, Kodi 17.1 and DTS-MA.

My setup:

Nvidia Shield TV - HDMI - YAMAHA RXA2030 Receiver - HDMI - Samsung UN75HU8550 (Via SEK3500).

In the shield the following settings are:

Display and Sound:
Resolution: 4K 60Hz
Volume Control: Fixed Volume Selected
Advanced:
Fixed Volume ON (Pass audio control to external devices)
HDMI 5.1 Audio (OFF)

In KODI ensure the following settings are up:

SYSTEM SETTINGS: (EXPERT)

Display:
Delay after change of refresh rate (2.5 seconds). Helps the audio sync to the video refresh

Audio:
Number of channels 7.1
Output configuration: Best Match
Vol control 90
Maintain orig volume on downmix (ON)
Stereo upmix (OFF)
Resample (HIGH)
Allow Passthrough - YES (on)
Click ALL capable fields (including DTS HD)

Audio DSP OFF

PLAYER SETTINGS:
Videos (THIS IS WHAT DID IT FOR ME)***
Adjust display refresh rate (ALWAYS) For some reason DTS MA wont ping unless this was on

I suggest setting your Kodi to match and then systematically try turning OFF different options while testing a DTS-HD video.

This took me nearly 2 weeks to figure out! Hope this helps!