Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Auto Update Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How come there is no option, at least that I've found to UPDATE Kodi from WITHIN the app itself to a new version OR Rollback to an older version?

I think it would have been an awesome feature to have within Kodi Directly.

Anyone have any ideas on this?
there is, at least on platforms that have some kind of package managment. linux, android and even windows(if installed via store) have it.
(2017-03-16, 20:30)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]there is, at least on platforms that have some kind of package managment. linux, android and even windows(if installed via store) have it.

wsnipex- I know you can get updates through places like the Google Playstore when and if they come out, BUT not with the frequency of "builds and betas"

So on Windows it's easy to install a new build. Real Easy. On Android not so much unless your device is rooted, or the update is available through the Playstore.

I am curious why directly IN Kodi they never developed the upgrade options. Much like a Windows App that can be updated from the app itself, why not give Kodi that feature, with a rollback feature in case something S@$ts the bed.
A feature like that isn't a priority. Part of the reason could be that having the latest Kodi is not really necessary, and sometimes, not recommended.

I use 15.2 now, used 12.3 before that, and 11.0 before that. Sometimes stuff gets broken in an update, so I don't update often.
(2017-03-16, 21:28)Gorbulan Wrote: [ -> ]A feature like that isn't a priority. Part of the reason could be that having the latest Kodi is not really necessary, and sometimes, not recommended.

I use 15.2 now, used 12.3 before that, and 11.0 before that. Sometimes stuff gets broken in an update, so I don't update often.
Yeah, I know what you mean there. I personally agree for a stable build and run it until it is just outperformed by a newer build.

On a PC it's not such a pain to install new versions and roll back if need be BUT on devices like Android where its a royal pain in the ass I'd have liked to have the functionality.

A great example of where I agree with you is Krypton. IDK about anyone else but I prefer Jarvis or lower to it actually. But when I goofed and moved to Krypton because I was forced to through the Google Playstore after getting a new Nvidia Shield TV that is where the functionality I feel would have paid off.

I got Jarvis back on my Shield TV but it wasn't easy and you need to Root it. Rooting allowed me to make a full backup of kodi with Titanium Backup which you just have to do if you toy with new builds. It's the only way to save you if there's a big issue.
Libreelec can do this.
(2017-03-16, 21:34)jpdraven Wrote: [ -> ]I got Jarvis back on my Shield TV but it wasn't easy and you need to Root it. Rooting allowed me to make a full backup of kodi with Titanium Backup which you just have to do if you toy with new builds. It's the only way to save you if there's a big issue.

No you don't need root. Install 16.1 and disable automatic updates in the Play Store.

You can also backup everything with the backup (wiki) add-on or even manually.
(2017-03-16, 21:39)Dangelus Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-16, 21:34)jpdraven Wrote: [ -> ]I got Jarvis back on my Shield TV but it wasn't easy and you need to Root it. Rooting allowed me to make a full backup of kodi with Titanium Backup which you just have to do if you toy with new builds. It's the only way to save you if there's a big issue.

No you don't need root. Install 16.1 and disable automatic updates in the Play Store.

I've tried backup. It was ok but there's better apps out there that I found were more complete. I have a few options for backup. The Playstore issue is..... once Google Playstore UPDATES the app version on their side for download, that's it unless you can install APK's manually. That's the part that sucked.
auto updating from within an application is plain stupid and only became somewhat "popular" because of the inherent shortcomings of Windows(no package management)
We provide nightly kodi builds that can be installed just like another other software package on ubuntu.
(2017-03-16, 22:40)jpdraven Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-16, 21:39)Dangelus Wrote: [ -> ]

I've tried backup. It was ok but there's better apps out there that I found were more complete. I have a few options for backup. The Playstore issue is..... once Google Playstore UPDATES the app version on their side for download, that's it unless you can install APK's manually. That's the part that sucked.

And pretty much every android system will allow you to install APKs manually. Root is not required, just wanted to make that clear for others.
I should have been more specific about root. Rooting enables you to use more powerful backup software packages. That's why I needed to root. No you don't need Root in order to install APK's you just have to be sure to allow unknown sources to install and at times turn app verification off. WHOOPS sorry bout that
i would like to run a windows task on windows boot do update kodi nightlies with CMD:

first i have to download the setup.exe manual. (KodiSetup-20180414-3b3e411d-master-x64.exe)
thene i rename *.* in this folder to kodi_setup.exe
i can install kodi silent without interaction with the parameter /S: "C:\temp\kodi_setup.exe /S"

Problem:
how is it possible to download the newest nighlies within CMD? (filename changes everyday)
there is wget for windows to download files within cmd.
only problem is the download link for the newes nightly exe. is there no option like:
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/windows...NEWEST.exe

please help
There are now addons for two platforms. Also, LibreELEC auto updates.

https://kodi.tv/addon/scripts/kodi-android-installer

https://kodi.tv/addon/scripts/kodi-windows-installer
Pages: 1 2