Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: addon.xml proper use of <res/>
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looking through the wiki, I don't think I understand the best practice for defining skin resolutions. From looking at Estuary, I assume using resolution-unique named folders is deprecated, instead the <res/> tag should be used? Is there an advantage of using one method over the other? Is there a minimum number of <res/> options that should be provided? Does "width" and "height" take priority over "aspect", or are both even needed? Anything else that should be known about resolutions? I assume it is now standard that default layout should be 1080-based?

scott s.
1. kodi first checks if there's a <res /> tag in your addon.xml (this is the default way to define resolutions)
2. if it can't find one, it looks for the (now deprecated) defaultwideresolution / defaultresolution definitions in the addon.xml file
3. in case those are also absent, kodi will check if your skin has a '720p' or '1080i' folder

kodi now knows which resolutions your skin supports. the next step is to check the resolution of your monitor (or window, if you run kodi in windowed mode).
first kodi tries to match the aspect ratio of your monitor to the aspect ratio defined in the <res> tag.
if it can't find a match, it will try to match the width/height of the monitor to the width/height defined in the <res> tag.

so...
- using the <res> tag is the default way for resolution definitions
- both aspect as well as width/height need to be defined and aspect takes priority
- one <res> tag is all thats needed, but you can define multiple if you want
- there's no such thing as a default/standard layout, even though most skins are 1080 based these days