Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Web Interface Security
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'd like to use the web interface in conjunction with a dynamic dns but I'd like to understand if I'd be creating a security risk for my home network. Is there a way to do this securely? or is it pretty sketchy?
(2017-03-19, 00:38)eboldt Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I'd like to use the web interface in conjunction with a dynamic dns but I'd like to understand if I'd be creating a security risk for my home network. Is there a way to do this securely? or is it pretty sketchy?

The Kodi Web interface should not be used on the public internet unless you are taking the appropriate steps to secure it. The Kodi web interface is not encrypted in any way at all. If you forward the web interface port with your router you will be exposed to all sorts of security risks.

If you are going to go the Dynamic DNS option, set up a secure VPN tunnel (do not use PPTP as it is no longer secure) to your Kodi device and then access the web interface.

Another option is using SSH to relay the web interface port across an SSH tunnel. The setup is very involved however.

Some routers also have VPN servers built in for secure access to home networks.

Have a look on the web to see the different ways of doing it.