Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Videos wont play from SMB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am having an issue where when I add an SMB file share to my library, it scans and all the videos show up in my library but none of them will play. I am using server 2016 to host the SMB shares. I have triple checked permissions, read through as many forum posts I can find, nothing seems to help. I don't get any errors, and I can go back and navigate through the file tree in add network locations etc so it doesn't seem to be a permission issue. It just wont play the video.
Always provide the full log and not only post what you think is important.
Link deleted.
I should add that I can access the share from my windows 10 computer without issues.
Read the release notes for 17.1. 17.1 contains a fix for a SMB problem with android. Installing Kodi 17.1 might be your solution...
EDIT: Comment removed, OP posted new log file. Thanks
I'll post a new log.
Thanks Wimpie, I am running 17.1 already. I have tried on a couple different versions and even a couple different Android boxes. I suspect it is something to do with how Windows Server 2016 publishes SMB shares. However I can't seem to figure out what. I tried some of the registry fixes posted in the SMB help section. I disabled SMB3 just in case. Maybe its something to do with SMB signing or something but I cant verify.
It may or may not matter but make sure your server has a DHCP Reservation for it's IP Address and or a Static IP.

I've noticed that when the IP changes it can muck things up. Not always, but it does occur.
Okay, I have solved this. It is an unusual issue that should be documented. Android does not connect to file shares that are using Windows Server Deduplication function. After disabling Dedupe and rehydrating the volume everything started working. Thanks everyone for your help.