Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Movies & TV Shows in the same playlist
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is this possible?
I have my home menu set up with the usual Movies and TV Shows, but these are not the defaults, they're actually custom home menu items that point to smart playlists, which are basically just the folders where I have regular Movies and TV Shows located. I do this so I can separate kids movies from non-kids movies, and anime from regular TV shows.

So I have a smart playlist for Anime. But I have to specify whether the playlist contains movies, tv shows, etc so it knows where to scrape from.
I currently have it designated as TV shows, just because that's what the majority of them are, but my anime movies don't show up.

Assuming I don't care about scraping (I'll do this myself using EMM), is there a way I can have Anime TV shows and Anime movies both show up in my "Anime" smart playlist?

Any insight into this would be much appreciated.
You might try nested playlists. Make a playlist for your movies and one for your tv shows and combine them in one list. Not sure if it would work or not, but you can try.

Mark
Thanks for the reply

I've never heard of nested playlists. Is there a good guide or video you'd suggest for more info on that?
Can a nested playlist be based on a folder location, so that every time I add something new to the Anime folder, it automatically shows up, or would I have to manually add new movies / tv shows to the playlist after moving them into the Anime folder?
Quote:add something new to the Anime folder, it automatically shows up,
That's what smart playlists are all about. With 'Tags' each item needs to be manually added, but "smart playlisits" auto populate. No you can't mix & match TV with Movies even with nested playlists, it's the way Kodi looks up media in the library and how the scrapers work.

I have heard it might be possible with 'Nodes' but I can't confirm that, but I do have TV Anime and Anime Movies under one "Node" as two branches. You might want to investigate 'profiles' and 'nodes' utilized in-conjunction with each other.
Yeah, I think I could do Anime movies and Anime TV shows as separate home menu items off separate smart playlists, but I think I'm maxed out on custom home menu items.
In order to split regular movies and kids movies, and regular TV shows and Anime TV shows, that's 4 right there, and then I have Concerts and Skate Videos, so I think I'm using all 6
Sad

Thanks for taking the time to answer this for me.
For some reason Add-on:Video Node Editor (wiki) is marked as broken in the wiki, but works fine for me, it's pretty fast and easy to make Nodes with it.
You could try nfo files...

Seeing as you have more in TV Shows than Movies, you could create a TV Show called "Anime Movies" and all your anime movies could be episodes of that show. You could then just copy and paste the metadata from the scraped movie into the episode nfo or xml.
Well after reading this, I might as well give up on Kodi altogether.
It's just not made for my needs, nor does it allow me to easily customize it to achieve this goal.

It seems the logics of it all is aimed for new age content & users, which I'm obviously not.

I well understand that you can't mix content in a single smart playlist, but to have two smart playlists, with fully defined content and rules and then not be able to have them together in a parent "dumb" playlist is really beyond me.

I've spent literary countless hours trying to figure out how to set it up the way I want, and it been nothing but one step forward, two steps back.

Combining Nodes and Playlists gets me close to what I need, but to have, in my case, Cartoon feature movies and Cartoon TV shows as two branches is not the really slickest solution.
I don't want to have to explain to my 5yr old, who can't read, that he has to click first branch if he wants "long" cartoons and the other one for "short" cartoons.
He just wants to watch "Cartoons" by visually selecting the thing he likes at the moment, from pictures displayed - he doesn't care and really shouldn't need to care which is which. To him they are all just "Cartoons" - which is what (in my opinion) playlist should be about - throwing stuff together to watch.
Hello VoodooFX,

I am sorry you feel that way, but I understand you can be overwhelmed with the amount of information you have to sift through to find an answer to a simple question.

Quote:Cartoon feature movies and Cartoon TV shows as two branches is not the really slickest solution.
There is a way around this, and @blossom24 above touched on the workaround.

In your case, you will have "The Road Runner" as a cartoon TV Series.
You might also have "The Road Runner Meets Bugs Bunny", "The Road Runner meets Batman" etc as Movies.

I would leave the TV Show as is. I would then move the two cartoon Movies into the TV Show directory and name them "The Road Runner S00E01" etc. Then create nfo files to reflect information that it is now a TV Show. Sounds like a lot of work, but actually quite simple to do once you become familiar with the program.

I use Tiny Media Manager (TMM) which is located here... http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=142723

Let us know if that helps.
Looking back at this conversation, and the subsequent posts I might have been better off mentioning LazyTV which does allow TV shows and Movies to mix and might be more suitable for your family.
Thank you PatK and Karellen for your suggestions.

@PatK: I've seen LazyTV being mentioned in a similar thread but skimming through its portfolio it didn't sound like an add-on that would help me.
I promise I will check it out today when I get home from work.

Honestly, I'm surprised this feature is not requested more often.

@Karellen: no need to be sorry. As with any project like this, it is impossible to please every user and his every wish.
It's just that from day one I've been hitting nothing but hurdles, one after another, and what started out as a project and a fun challenge, turned into hours and hours of browsing through forums, toying with settings, skins, playlists, etc
Only to have nothing or very little to show in the end.

But enough whining, back to the problem at hand. If I read your post correctly, I would have to rename each movie's name (65 of them) to a dummy episode name? For example Ice.Age.DivX,avi would be renamed to Ice.Age.S00E01.DivX.avi. If yes, then it's something I'm not willing to do, not because it's time consuming (god knows I've spent way more time trying to figure this thing out), but because it goes against my organizing system.
Besides, many of the files are locked for ... ahem... other uses, making the renaming all that more difficult.
To take Karellen's example...

Start kodi
Go into your Movie library
Navigate to 'The Road Runner Meets Bugs Bunny'
Open the context menu and choose 'Manage' > 'Link to TV Show'
Select 'The Road Runner'
Now go to TV Shows (or smart playlist) > The Road Runner and you'll see the film in the seasons list.
Repeat 64 times for other films.
Thanks trogggy, will try this as soon I come home.
Hi guys, just a quick followup.

LazyTV - couldn't find the option to have both movies and TV shows in a same playlist. While it does create its own playlist entry when installed, the logic appears to be the same as with smart lists (content must be defined and cannot be a mix of one and the other). But it does offer some other interesting features I may end up using, so I'll leave it be.

I will probably end up using trogggy's method as it does work quite nicely or go the route of nodes as I've originally experimented with.

Maybe in some distant future we'll get a playlist collector or something along these lines either as part of main code or an add-on. For now, this will have to do.

Thank you all for your help.
So is there a way to do this yet....
Pages: 1 2