Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: stream to 2 different clients from the same source
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys! Not sure if something already exists that will do what I"m looking for. If so, please just point me in the right direction and I'll go there...

Here is what I'm trying to do.

--install 2 tablets (amazon fire or ipad, etc.) running Kodi in my car that are mounted to the headrests
--install kodi on a raspbery pi 3 that has an external hard drive to store movies and shows
--travel wifi router to create a local wifi network in the car

I would want to use one of the many Kodi iOS remote apps to control Kodi on the Pi and have it display which movie / show gets pushed out to which ever screen I choose, or have it go to both while at the same time keeping the audio in sync with the video.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I've accomplished what you want, but I did it differently. For the server, I used an Intel NUC running mythbuntu Linux. I used the built in wifi configured to be an access point. The clients were various Android devices running Kodi. It worked well on long trips.

Sent from my Moto G (4)
(2017-04-26, 15:47)afremont Wrote: [ -> ]I've accomplished what you want, but I did it differently. For the server, I used an Intel NUC running mythbuntu Linux. I used the built in wifi configured to be an access point. The clients were various Android devices running Kodi. It worked well on long trips.

Sent from my Moto G (4) (typie typie)

How were you able to play a video on different clients at the same time in sync?
I didn't need to do that, and I have no idea how you'll be able to do that.

Sent from my Moto G (4)
If your using this to as a setup in your car could you just get 2 headrest monitors and connect both to rpi or maybe look at the kangaroo windows PC... And connect the audio to the cars speakers​.... Syncing over WiFi the same video to 2 separate tablets to me seems extremely difficult... Only other way would be run it on the PC and remote into from the tablet
This sounds like multi-room video, even if it's two screens in the same vehicle, it's still the same functional concept. It's not something Kodi really supports ATM. (I'd love it if it did though)
Give the kids headphones and let them watch different things, or even the same thing slightly out of sync.
Ps you don't need kodi on the rpi in your suggested setup.
Or an HDMI splitter?