Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Add-ons reappearing after being removed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello There.

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

I have gone through my kodi and removed Add-ons that I don't use. I went through the settings, clicked on the add-on, disabled the add-one and then uninstalled it. Once completed it was nice to see Add-ons on the screen that I only really use. After a few days the add-ons that I have removed had all returned.

Is there something that I have missed to stop this from happening?

Many thanks in advance
Which add-ons are you referring to, and what add-ons do you have installed?

Can you gather a debug log (wiki), upload it to pastebin.com or similar site and supply their link here.

Normal add-ons certainly shouldn't do that, but it's not unknown for certain banned add-ons (wiki) to try this kind of trick.
Or some addons are installed because they are dependencies for other addons? I have seen this...
Hello there.

Thank you for your responses and so sorry that it has taken a while for me to reply.

I have the following add-ons which were pre-installed when the box was brought. I have tried several times to remove the add-ons and then after a few days they keep returning and not sure what else I could possible do to remove them completely.

The add-ons that I am trying to remove are:

1 Channel
Ares FootBall
Titan
Lihattv - TV streaming
Evolve
Halow Live TV
AdyranList
Apple iTunes Prodcast
BBTS
Bulldgo Streams
Cartoons8
Champions Sports
Decacdo Documentaries
Everyone's Liverpool
f4m Tester
FilmOn.TV
Football Today
Futbol
GUL LIVE TV
HD Box
Icefilms
Indigo
iStream
Kiddle Cartoons
M4U
MD.Watch series
Milkey's karaoke
Moneysports
Morepower
Motornutz
Movie Hut
Movie Mix
Movie Vault
Navi-x
New kids TV
NJM Soccer
Peral Jam Live
Perfect HD Movies
Popcornfilx
Pubfilm
Release HUB
Scene Peeper
Snagfilms
South Park
Specto - fork
Sports Mix
Sports Devil
TED talks
The Royal WE
Tinkle Pad
ToonMania
TV Box Direct Wizard
TV Mix
UK Turk Playlists
UKTV Again
UKTV Play
Veetle
Yifyrelease

As you can see from the list above I got a load of add-ons that are on the box and don't use and would like to remove them. To remove the add-ons I went into the settings, my add-ons and then my video add-ons. I clicked on the add-on and then un-ticked auto updated, disabled the add-one and then uninstalled it. I have done this with all the listed add-ons above, and after a few days they all returned again.

Does anyone else know any other way to do?

Thank you
Oh wow, that is a lot!!!

Ok, with so many add-ons and repositories installed, the only way to completely remove them is to do a complete uninstall of Kodi and then re-install. Trying to uninstall all of these one at a time will leave remnants behind.

You will need to tell us what your hardware is. Please be specific so we give the right instructions. If you can provide a website link to what you have, that will be good enough.
instead of a complete re-install of kodi, could I not just go in and uninstall the video add-ons as well as the repositories?

I read that "What most Kodi rookies don’t realize is that if you don’t like the addon and decide to delete it, the repository connection still remains. If you want to remove both an addon and its repository, you have to do so separately".

I had not been doing this just the video add-on.
You probably have a "build" or some other config wizard or such if addons keep returning after being uninstalled.
To start Kodi afresh - go into Android settings and....

Android settings > Apps > Kodi > Clear Data & Clear Cache

And if pesky Addons still reappear - go the Nuke it from Orbit option - you know just to be sure ;-)

Android settings > Apps > Kodi > Uninstall
I dont recommend anything other than completely reinstall Kodi. Its bogged.
Trying to clean up a dodgy box can be a headache. There really should be a KODI FAQ for this for those of you who want to come over the the Light Side Wink

Suggestions to try:

1\ When you delete addons, make sure you EXIT KODI itself before restarting the box. I remember one old box that would not save any KODI settings correctly unless you fully exited KODI itself.

2\ If the Android cache cleaning above doesn't work, you will have to go full nuclear on the install folders using a file manager (Total Commander is a good free one). Something in their custom scripts is resetting everything (or just plain ignoring your delete commands). So as well as using Android to uninstall the app, go find the data folder and delete it. Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/ or /SDCard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/

3\ Install a different KODI - example being SPMC ( http://spmc.semperpax.com/ ) After all of this attempt at cleaning up the cruddy addons, you'll probably find your box won't like KODI 17.1 anyway. When I have been handed cheapo nasty Android boxes full of crudware it is often simpler to just install a fresh copy along side the messed up one.
I am using Kodi for quite some time - I am using know 17.6
I have setup my Kodi very nicely and one thing I have noticed,  is that the number of bytes that Kodi is occupying, is getting bigger and bigger, despite the fact that I have uninstalled many add-ons. 
If I understand correctly,  when you DO uninstall an app from one's system, it automatically means all relative files from that person's system are removed as well.
It does not make sense for the files of this app to stay on board.

I have two add-ons in Kodi that act like this.

One was "autocompletion". which had a subdirectory "Google", and below this about 9000 files( all very small files)
...\kodi\userdata\addon_data\plugin.program.autocompletion\Google\...
The other one was "Openweathermaps".....
...\kodi\userdata\addon_data\script.openweathermap.maps\maps\windmap\..... 618 files.
I would like to do something and decrease my Kodi' s size.
Any suggestions ??
(2017-12-12, 17:10)george759 Wrote: [ -> ]I am using Kodi for quite some time - I am using know 17.6
I have setup my Kodi very nicely and one thing I have noticed,  is that the number of bytes that Kodi is occupying, is getting bigger and bigger, despite the fact that I have uninstalled many add-ons. 
If I understand correctly,  when you DO uninstall an app from one's system, it automatically means all relative files from that person's system are removed as well.
That is not an addon reappearing.  Addons, like all programs, will leave behind userdata.  That way if you need to reinstall all your settings will be there.

In KODI, if you don't use an addon and want to fully remove all of it, then uninstall it in KODI, close KODI.  And manually remove the left overs in the userdata folder.  Then restart KODI and all should be well.
(2017-12-12, 17:10)george759 Wrote: [ -> ]I have two add-ons in Kodi that act like this.

One was "autocompletion". which had a subdirectory "Google", and below this about 9000 files( all very small files)
...\kodi\userdata\addon_data\script.openweathermap.maps\maps\windmap\..... 618 files.
Any suggestions ??
 Logic says you can deal with the OpenWeathermap one very easy.  Go into KODI Addons and uninstall OpenWeathermap.  Close KODI and then just delete that ...\kodi\userdata\addon_data\script.openweathermap.maps\ folder.  Restart KODI.  If you want the OpenWeathermap services you'll then need to reinstall it - but don't be surprised if it comes back.

As to why there is anything Google based on your KODI I am not sure.  I don't have it on mine.  So this will be an addon dependency that one of your other addons are using.  There is an official way of checking what is using it - but I forget.  So go to Settings \ Addons \ My Installed Addons \ Program Addons  and look for something Google Autocomplete.  Try to uninstall it - and it if is still in use it will tell you which addon requires it.  You can then make decisions from there if you need that other addon.
(2017-12-12, 21:23)BatterPudding Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-12-12, 17:10)george759 Wrote: [ -> ]I am using Kodi for quite some time - I am using know 17.6
That is not an addon reappearing.  Addons, like all programs, will leave behind userdata.  That way if you need to reinstall all your settings will be there.

In KODI, if you don't use an addon and want to fully remove all of it, then uninstall it in KODI, close KODI.  And manually remove the left overs in the userdata folder.  Then restart KODI and all should be well.
(2017-12-12, 17:10)george759 Wrote: [ -> ]I have two add-ons in Kodi that act like this.

Any suggestions ??
 Logic says you can deal with the OpenWeathermap one very easy.  Go into KODI Addons and uninstall OpenWeathermap.  Close KODI and then just delete that ...\kodi\userdata\addon_data\script.openweathermap.maps\ folder.  Restart KODI.  If you want the OpenWeathermap services you'll then need to reinstall it - but don't be surprised if it comes back.

As to why there is anything Google based on your KODI I am not sure.  I don't have it on mine.  So this will be an addon dependency that one of your other addons are using.  There is an official way of checking what is using it - but I forget.  So go to Settings \ Addons \ My Installed Addons \ Program Addons  and look for something Google Autocomplete.  Try to uninstall it - and it if is still in use it will tell you which addon requires it.  You can then make decisions from there if you need that other addon.      
(2017-12-12, 17:10)george759 Wrote: [ -> ]If I understand correctly,  when you DO uninstall an app from one's system, it automatically means all relative files from that person's system are removed as well.
 The words "app", that I used are wrong. They should have been "add-on". Sorry.

You are absolutely correct.
Kindly elaborate on which files-directories, I  should erase in the directory  "....\userdata\addon_data\".
There are some of the type "...\userdata\addon_data\plugin.XXXX.YYYY" and some of the type "...\userdata\addon_data\script.YYYY" ( and/or any other), where "XXXX" can be "video" or "program" or "music", etc. and "YYYY" the name of the add-on.
Which one should I use?

It would have been very if Kodi should had used two different procedures for "uninstall" (i.e. the one is now using) and another one for "uninstall" + "completely removing" for guys that want full removal and without leaving any leftovers.

Very correct.
I do not know how Google got involved, but it was there together  with program  "autocompletion for virtual keyboard "