Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MVC mkv not detected as such
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I have a 3D MVC mkv file however getting kodi to play it as such seems to be broken.

The stereo mode flag in the mkv container is set to 13 "both eyes laced in one Block (left eye is first)" which seems to be the correct value for such a video file.
This causes kodi to correctly recognize it as a 3D file, however since this format is unsupported on all platforms despite the raspberry pi it does not actually play back in 3D (it is just not possible to enable 3d during playback after selecting the 3d glasses icon)
(top bottom for example work just fine with the aforementioned flag set to 3)

Some research suggested to rename the file to .3D.MVC.mkv (and subsequently remove the stereo mode flag)
Now kodi just ignores that this is an 3D file, the icon never appears and it plays back in 2D.
Even if MVC is not recognized, shouldn't the 3D in the filename be enough for kodi to treat it as such?

After much frustration I thought screw this removed all file name additions and set it's stereo mode flag to 3 "top,bottom"
And Behold the file now correctly plays with MVC decoding.

This seems like one or two bugs:
1. why is .3D.MVC.mkv not recognized as a 3D file of at least some kind?
2. why is the correct flag 13 not supported but 3 which is definitely wrong works?
Mentioning the kodi version and distribution would be useful.

A debug log (wiki) even more so.
Kodi 17.1 on ArchLinux Arm on Raspberry Pi 3 but still armv7

Will follow up with a debug log once I have time to reproduce the issue. However I think a big part of the issue is that in https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...anager.cpp it is marked as unsupported: "{ "block_rl", RENDER_STEREO_MODE_OFF }, // unsupported"
Some of the MVC support is not yet upstream.

OSMC/LibreELEC/raspbian build from by krypton_rbp_backports which has better MVC support. e.g.
https://github.com/popcornmix/xbmc/blob/...er.cpp#L75
Ok, thank you.
I will try and get in touch with the arch arm team to see if some of these patches could be used (they already use some patches from popcornmix so there should be no philosophy issue)

Just for clarification commits in krypton_rbp_backports will eventually be merged into the master branch?

Edit:
There isn't jet a pull request that bundles those commits is there?