Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled PPA builds for Ubuntu)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I tried upgrading 9.04.1 to 9.11 via "sudo apt-get upgrade" but it says all the XBMC packages are held back. And when I use aptitude, it wants to upgrade the distro also which I'd rather not do. Is there a way to just upgrade XBMC? I'm running the stable 9.04.1 Live.
as mentioned a few pages back, sudo apt-get distr-upgrade will do the trick
AlphaDog Wrote:as mentioned a few pages back, sudo apt-get distr-upgrade will do the trick
Won't that upgrade distros from Jaunty to Karmic though?
Nope
AlphaDog Wrote:Nope
I'll give it a shot, thanks.
So the 9.11 releases will work fine on a Jaunty system? No need to upgrade to Karmic?
I use Intrepid... No need to upgrade to Karmic. Most Linux user prefer not upgrade distros or packages if all working fine. Smile
Hi Wattazoum,

Looks like this got buried, since this dependency is still listed in the beta. I'll PM you, too.

carlstreeter Wrote:@wattazoum:

It looks like the bug that required the dependency on libcurl4-openssl-dev has been resolved in the 9.11 alpha. You can safely remove this dependency. This should greatly help people trying to put together a minimal xbmc installation.

I've been running for a couple of days with the dependency forced, and the package removed, and there's no longer the crash at startup.

Thanks for all your work.

--Carl
updated to the latest beta-svn karmic version right now. can't start xbmc. Sad
http://pastebin.com/m27fddce1

It's also giving me this on another karmic install when trying to run from terminal:

sh: glxinfo: not found
can you install mesa-utils ? it will normally solve your problem.
Robgue Wrote:updated to the latest beta-svn karmic version right now. can't start xbmc. Sad
http://pastebin.com/m27fddce1

It's also giving me this on another karmic install when trying to run from terminal:

sh: glxinfo: not found

Laugh

and i cant shut it down. when i try to shut it down, it closed the xbmc and restart it immediatly

ps.: yeah my first post... greetings from vienna

edit@08:06:

everything is okay Smile after sudo apt-get update and upgrade, new stuffs were upgraded (x11-common xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-video-all). so everything is again fine
With today's update from beta1 to beta1+svn25154 (karmic) something broke on my installation. Tried to start XBMC and it showed a black screen and X's mousepointer. I killed the process and had a look into the logfile and it said that it couldn't find special://xbmc/media/icon.png.
As special://xbmc was mapped to /usr/lib/xbmc and no more to /usr/share/xbmc of course it can't find any graphics as they reside in /usr/share/xbmc/media.

So my question is: is XBMC svn25154 broken or is my system broken? In other words: should the media files now reside under /usr/lib/xbmc and the upgrade didn't complete or is this mapping somehow defective?

EDIT:
I had a look at the files invoked and the called binary is /usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin which itself is a symlink to /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin. Might it be that xbmc somehow resolves the absolute path to the real binary and takes it's path as the mapping for special://xbmc?
@BaerMan : I have opened the following ticket: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7953
can you comment on it ? I will also ask you questions there.
Allright, I put some info in the ticket and I hope it helps. If you need a logfile tell me. I could add one of every try Laugh

But now I'll try to revert to the previous version. This one is clearly incompatible with my system.
I'm getting the same thing at the minute, too. pastebin here.

Edit: Seems the latest build fixes this now!