Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled PPA builds for Ubuntu)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
wattazoum Wrote:If you are interested in stable XBMC releases (releases that we certify as usable and/or testable), please use the stable PPAs. Once added in your repository list, you will be notified for any update we make. You will have the latest stable version this way.

I have added both the team-xbmc as well as the team-xbmc-svn package. Couple of questions:

1) Any issues of having both packages set up? Will the SVN not always "beat" the stable release and make the stable PPA obsolete?

2) Will it automatically update even if I never launch Gnome (i.e., my system is set up to directly launch into XBMC

3) If I once go to the SVN built, can I later actually delete the PPA link and the SVN version will then get updated to the stable one?

4) Is the SVN PPA still pre-merge or a truly nightly built even these days? What about the "stable PPA", is it only stabel releases (twice a year)?

Thanks for your help!!!
Hi im trying to build XBMC from src for the first time on a Lucid Distro.

I have setup the PPA for both default and SVN but when i try to get the build-deps it complains 'Unable to find a source package for xbmc'.

FYI I can get the binaries ok, so keys are setup.

Cheers for any help

Neil
Neiljay Wrote:Hi im trying to build XBMC from src for the first time on a Lucid Distro.

I have setup the PPA for both default and SVN but when i try to get the build-deps it complains 'Unable to find a source package for xbmc'.

FYI I can get the binaries ok, so keys are setup.

Cheers for any help

Neil

that's never worked right for me, even on karmic.

from README.ubuntu:
Code:
sudo aptitude install subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm automake cmake gperf unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo2-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl3 libcurl4-openssl-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbisenc2 libsmbclient-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxtst-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev libsamplerate-dev libmms-dev libmpeg3-dev libfaad-dev libflac-dev libiso9660-dev libass-dev libssl-dev fp-compiler gdc libwavpack-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libmodplug-dev libssh-2-dev gettext cvs zip
furii Wrote:that's never worked right for me, even on karmic.

from README.ubuntu:
Code:
sudo aptitude install subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm automake cmake gperf unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo2-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl3 libcurl4-openssl-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbisenc2 libsmbclient-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxtst-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev libsamplerate-dev libmms-dev libmpeg3-dev libfaad-dev libflac-dev libiso9660-dev libass-dev libssl-dev fp-compiler gdc libwavpack-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libmodplug-dev libssh-2-dev gettext cvs zip

Me neither, the full command above does the trick though.
Hi - I'm trying to update XBMC Live to bleeding edge. I understand nightly builds have stopped while the next version is being prepared.

However I found this site:
http://sshcs.com/xbmc/

Which seems to have the latest builds (29941) at time of posting.

However I think these are 'XBMC' rather than 'XBMC-Live'? I'm a Linux newbie so not sure. Downloaded them and they are .deb files compressed as .rar (which I can uncompress and potentially install) - but not sure it's the right thing.

I've been trying to follow the guides for installing 'bleeding edge' versions but they seem to be a little out of date.

I want to try the latest bleeding edge version as someone suggested on another post that it solved their juddering issues.

If anyone has sucessfully upgraded XBMC-Live to the latest bleeding edge version I'd be interested in any tips on the process you used - thanks.
Quote:However I found this site:
http://sshcs.com/xbmc/
I am gussing you have to ask the people at that site?

Quote:I've been trying to follow the guides for installing 'bleeding edge' versions but they seem to be a little out of date.
If you are not happy with the latest svn you should compile from source. Guide in wiki.

Quote:I want to try the latest bleeding edge version as someone suggested on another post that it solved their juddering issues.
I dont think that is a good idea....You should be able fix it in stable.
Anyway...how do you know that the bleeding edge today will fix a problem described in a post refering to a completly different version of the software.

If you need specific build that is different but if you have a modern motherboard etc you are probably better of sticking to stable.
Caster Wrote:Hello,
I'm using Debian, so not Ubuntu.. But I would like to build xbmc as well using the PPA.
Now, when I run ./bootstrap after having done a checkout on svn, I get this:
Code:
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.in: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force
autoreconf: configure.in: tracing
autoreconf: configure.in: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf --force
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoheader --force
autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy --force-missing
autoreconf: Leaving directory `.'
autoreconf: Entering directory `lib/cpluff'
autoreconf: running: autopoint --force
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force -I m4
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf --force
configure.ac:60: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN
      If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:61: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL
configure.ac:62: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
Is there some Debian-version of the PPA available somewhere, and where? Couldn't find one myself...
Or is there a simple method fixing ./bootstrap?
Thanks in advance!
Im trying to compile with last svn for debian (sidux) but I have the same error. Any solution?
Is there an ETA on the linux (ubuntu) PPA's? Windows and OSX are back up and running I see.
New SVN nightly x64 for Lucid but it seems to break dependencies for me - the xbmc-bin package is up to SVN 30938 but the skins and data are on an earlier SVN so it can't be installed using apt-get.

Anyone know of a work-around as now it is not possible to install nightly SVN only the stable Camelot release.

https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc-svn/+ar...lter=lucid
There are oviously some issues with the SVN PPA currently:

See here for further examples:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=75308
WTF!?

Can anyone explain to me what I might be doing wrong? I'm running Karmic and I've done all the obvious things like run apt-get update..

michal@htpc:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/team-xbmc-svn-ppa-karmic.list
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
michal@htpc:~$ apt-cache show xbmc |grep Ver
Version: 1:9.11+svn28256-karmic1

If I look at:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/p...6/Packages

It also seems to be missing the newer packages.. And indeed if I look in:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/p...in/x/xbmc/

The newer builds are missing.. Any ideas?

Regards,
Michal

P.S. I saw there were problems with the SVN PPA with builds failing but I did not see mention of the missing Karmic builds in that thread.

EDIT: Am I correct in understanding that there have been no new Karmic builds for well over 3 months?
michal Wrote:WTF!?
P.S. I saw there were problems with the SVN PPA with builds failing but I did not see mention of the missing Karmic builds in that thread.

apart from where my post said:
Quote:SVN PPA for Karmic amd64 brings down a new xbmc-bin package but generates dependancy errors against the other xbmc packages upon which it depends...
Big Grin

michal Wrote:EDIT: Am I correct in understanding that there have been no new Karmic builds for well over 3 months?

Yes no new working builds for a long time, due to the state of flux that the SVN is in (partially due to the merge of the addons branch). if you look at the timeline on the trac you'll notice development is currently very active.
Don't get annoyed, there are issues with the current builds, try to remember these people do everything they do for XBMC out of the goodness of their heart, You can't complain about the QOS when you dont pay anything for the service.Rolleyes Also try no swear, or even sudo swear (see first line of your post) it doesnt make people want to help you any more. Oo
lozbrown85 Wrote:apart from where my post said:
Big Grin

Don't get annoyed, there are issues with the current builds, try to remember these people do everything they do for XBMC out of the goodness of their heart, You can't complain about the QOS when you dont pay anything for the service.Rolleyes Also try no swear, or even sudo swear (see first line of your post) it doesnt make people want to help you any more. Oo

Thank you for responding to my query.

I thought you were specifically referring to amd64 builds, whereas I am on i386 x86.

The only reason I'm ever trying to update is that I've been having problems with some m4v files (Apple keynotes) where they don't play smoothly. I know they used to so there must have been an update to either XBMC or the Nvidia drivers (I use VDPAU) at some stage that broke it.

I'm not annoyed, just a bit confused with the state of the SVN PPA. I've been using XBMC for a long time and the Linux one since it was first compilable. I'm very grateful for the work that has been put in and I feel no sense of entitlement for any sort of support.

To me WTF is no more offensive than RTFM so I guess it never even occurred to me that it could possibly be offensive to anyone.

Thanks for clarifying the current state of the SVN PPA and the availability of newer XBMC builds for Karmic. I look forward to this being resolved and getting to try some of the new features being worked on.

Regards,
Michal
I am updating from the "repository ppa:team-xbmc" (on Ubuntu Lucid). However, I am still stuck with R26018. I thought that the nightlies are up and running again and should be somewhere in the 3xxxxx including addons. Any thoughts?
steve1977 Wrote:I am updating from the "repository ppa:team-xbmc" (on Ubuntu Lucid). However, I am still stuck with R26018. I thought that the nightlies are up and running again and should be somewhere in the 3xxxxx including addons. Any thoughts?

Read the second post above yours. Oo

PS: SVN builds are only availiable in the "ppa:team-xbmc-svn/ppa" repository.