Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled PPA builds for Ubuntu)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Zemy Wrote:Sorry for disturbing again...
Update did well as seen above..but now it boots to
login screen and not to xbmc directly. I am sure that the problem
has been solved here in forum didn't find the right one to help me.
Can someone assist?

Br, Zemy

Should package xinit be a dependency of xbmc-live to autostart xbmc on boot?

My current test machine - Asrock 330 with lucid x86_64 - doesn't automatically install xinit when using xbmc from team-xbmc-svn ppa...

It just presents the same behaviour that Zemy describes.

hudo
hudo Wrote:Should package xinit be a dependency of xbmc-live to autostart xbmc on boot?

no because xinit is part of the xorg server

this is why the XBMCbuntu guide explicitly says to install the following:

sudo apt-get install xbmc xinit x11-xserver-utils
My point exactly... if xbmc-live scripts don't work without xinit and x11-xserver-utils, why aren't they a xbmc-live dependency?

Any good reason?

hudo
ask the developers

my personal understanding: sometimes too much dependencies can screw up your whole distribution system, that's why you intend to use less dependencies rather than too much
Yes, I can understand that. Less "capable" users might screw things up quite easily regarding dependencies... On second thought, that's precisely why dependencies should be managed automatically whenever possible.

Having said that, without xbmc-live explicitly requesting the presence of xinit and x11-xserver-utils on the system you end up with a *non working* installation... And what's the point of that?

To my understanding, the whole point packages can work with dependencies is to facilitate the installation process.

Imagine what would happen if you issued a 'sudo apt-get install xbmc' and dependencies wouldn't install auto-magically... is not much fun to install 400MB+ of dependencies by hand.

So my question remains... why, oh why aren't xinit and x11-xserver-utils explicit dependencies of xbmc-live?

Makes no sense, unless I'm missing something...

Anyways, trac ticket created with request: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/9993

hudo
Hannes The Hun Wrote:if you install either one of them, the other one will be installed as well (remember, dependencies Wink )

In fact it didn't install the other one. First I installed xbmc-standalone and the behaviour continued...booting to login.
After that I installed the xbmc-live, then system rocked up directly.
So there must be some mess with the depencies.

Br, Zemy
X11-server-utils is not available as a package to install without selection of "basic ubuntu server" on installation.
Something is wrong...

I always start installation of my machines with ubuntu minimal iso. I never choose "basic ubuntu server" on install. Apart from OpenSSH server, everything I choose is vanilla install from minimal iso... and x11-xserver-utils *is* available on 32 and 64bits.

Either way, the dependencies - apparently - should be corrected.

***EDIT***
I'm currently running xbmc on a M3N78-EM, BE-2350 CPU, 2GB RAM, 2x1TB HDD, 2xHVR-4000 DVB-S2, etc, running on top of Lucid 32bits and an Asrock 330 running Lucid 64bits...
I dont install basic ubuntu server simply cause its not a option if you choose expert cli install (see signature)

I can install any deps simply because the sources are set.

Its almost idiot proof.
X3lectric Wrote:I dont install basic ubuntu server simply cause its not a option if you choose expert cli install (see signature)

I can install any deps simply because the sources are set.

Its almost idiot proof.

That would be my guess, too! Big Grin

Sources available = installation possible
X3lectric Wrote:er its on my signature team iquik ppas and open them and check.

for stable check xbmc-stable for svn check xbmc-svn, it doest require me posting anything else.

My reply was to the OP, and it was simply a reference to the fact that you/he/whomever makes a verbal (written) announcement each time you/he/whomever 'burns' a new iso image. That announcement could mention the aforementioned number. Heck, the original post could carry a link or image where all you need do is update the image archive and the sticky post auto-magically auto-updates. Like a little web visit ticker thingy or such.
Waiting for your sig to carry it, and then hunting/digging that/you up is a little counterproductive with all these computers lying around.

Of course we ALL no how to derive and acquire the stable and svn builds and releases.

I was simply mentioning that some of the sticky posts here could easily carry dynamic info, links to FAQs, and all other manner of 'upgradedness'. It's like a programmer that goes around behind his code and cleans or 'spruces' it up.

I guess hi res smiley engines are more important. Shocked

ASCII ya laterz...
yay!

version numbers sorted out for latest svn dharma beta 1 version

apt-get update -> dist-upgrade works perfectly!
Hi,

I got a probleme upgrading the xbmc-live package.

http://pastebin.com/f7yZhDrJ

xbmc-live
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
ln: creating symbolic link `/etc/init.d/xbmc-live': File exists

I resolved my problem with:
sudo rm -f /etc/init.d/xbmc-live ; sudo apt-get install -f

I'm using Karmic:
typhoe@hornet:~$ uname -a
Linux hornet 2.6.31-22-generic #63-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 18 22:54:26 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
typhoe@hornet:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=9.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=karmic
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 9.10"

Can I provide anymore information?

regards,
Typhoe
Ppa is working for me. Just updated last night.
Anyone knows if SVN PPA will get Ubuntu Maverick (10.10) binaries before the official Maverick release?