Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] Launcher - application launcher plugin for Linux, Mac, Windows, and Xbox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dobyken Wrote:I've tried on two different installations of Mythbuntu 10.04 (lucid) with XBMC 9.11svn to get Launcher 1.04 working. As soon as I click on Launcher a screen pops up saying "Loading Directory" and that's as far as I get. I can do a couple of keystrokes then it locks up. Clicking cancel shows a button press but doesn't cancel and I have to kill XBMC. The only error I see in the log is that Launchers.xml doesn't exist but since I haven't created any yet I assume that's normal.

I ran into the same problem. Right click on launcher, and manually set the thumbs directory (xbmc/userdata/thumbs/programs... or something like that, you'll see it). Once set properly it works fine.
arkryal Wrote:I ran into the same problem. Right click on launcher, and manually set the thumbs directory (xbmc/userdata/thumbs/programs... or something like that, you'll see it). Once set properly it works fine.
I'm running into this same problem with r28256. Unfortunately I still get the 'Loading Directory' hang even after setting the thumbs directory to one that actually exists.
Using xbmc-launcher i found a loop through wine to launch wine and native linux games and apps.
It`s a schlep and takes time but works for me for now, have to change to windowed mode '/' Global_Keyboard
and back to fullscreen when done, and volume control is an issue.
Not sure which one it works through but i have wine&wine-doors&playonlinux installed...

-Add new launcher
-Standalone (normal PC executable)
-Home folder
-.wine
-dosdevices
-z:
-usr

Then add say
/usr/games/pingus
/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.5pre (have to un-tick 'work offline' every time)
etc.
I'm using xbmc-r28276 and the latest version of the launcher.
After the installation when I go to Programs->launcher for the first time it hangs on "loading directories", cancelling it makes it hang permanently.

Any ideas ?
Anyone know if this will work on a Linux AppleTV? I would love to get it working with Hulu
codeblue2k Wrote:Anyone know if this will work on a Linux AppleTV? I would love to get it working with Hulu

It should, as it has a case for OS X. Why not install it and find out, though?
Hi I have tried the Launcher and think it's a great idea but does anyone know a emulator that can be configured to work in Fullscreen mode on Screen 2?

I have set Screen1 as PC monitor and XBMC will autostart on Screen2 but every emulator I have tried will jump back to Screen1 when set in Fullscreen so the only way for me to get them to work is to clone my screens which is no good because of different resolutions.

Also would be nice to have a list of what emulators that is recommend with Launcher. I used to have games for all of these when I had my xbox: SNES, NES, N64, GBA, Sega Mega Drive, SMS, Arcade(Mame), C64, Atari, Amiga. But not so familiar with the PC versions.
I guess the only was you can use the launcher or any other plugin you need the last stable release of xbmc. I use a nightly build for dxva acceleration but doesnt seem to be able to do any plugins or such (
Has there been any progress made on the issue of XBMC not maximizing after the launched program is exited (windows).
Particularly for me when exiting zsnes; xbmc remains minimized and refuses to be maximized.
I wasn't happy with the default Yahoo search engine for getting box art for my video games, so I made two search engines that use GiantBomb's API.

GiantBomb_v1 is the first one I made. It gets the first images that are returned when you do a normal game search, but it's not always accurate for games that have many releases or sequels.

GiantBomb_v2 digs much deeper to get as much box art as it can, but is much slower because it crawls through more data.

For example, with v1, "Mortal Kombat" returns various Mortal Kombat images and screenshots, but not the SNES box art that I wanted.
On v2, "Mortal Kombat" returns every box art for almost every Mortal Kombat game, including the SNES box art. But because there's so many games, it takes longer to get the results.

So I included both versions in this zip file. I recommend using v1 most of the time, but switching to v2 when v1 fails.

Download: http://samutz.com/xbmc/launcher_giantbomb.zip
Both folders go in <launcher path>/resources/search_engines/

Tested on XBMC 9.11 using JustSomeUser's r1 patch, running on Windows 7 Home x64.

Also worth noting that when you use the "Get Thumb" feature, it includes the launcher name in the search query at first ("Mortal Kombat Super NES" for example), which won't always return results. When it asks you modify your query, just erase the laucher name and try again.

Or you can fix this yourself by editing <launcher path>/resources/lib/launcher_plugin.py and replacing this
Code:
search_string = "%s %s" % (romname, launcherName)
with this
Code:
search_string = "%s" % (romname)
(in the _search_thumb function)
Is the Launcher plugin compatible with the latest Windows DX SVN builds of XBMC? If not is there a way to get it to work?

I have been reluctant to try out the latest versions of XBMC since mysetup is dependant on Launcher being available.

Take Care
ijourneaux Wrote:Is the Launcher plugin compatible with the latest Windows DX SVN builds of XBMC? If not is there a way to get it to work?

Same question here. Anyone any thought? I am running XBMC on Ubuntu and would love to grab the latest nightly. Is there any "Migration plan" to deal with the add-on manager?
ijourneaux Wrote:Is the Launcher plugin compatible with the latest Windows DX SVN builds of XBMC? If not is there a way to get it to work?

I have been reluctant to try out the latest versions of XBMC since mysetup is dependant on Launcher being available.

I cant seem to get the plugin to work either under windows 7 x64 and xbmc DX pre-10.05 r31033. When i add the directory as a source under the programs menu I am unable to launch the plugin, only browse the directories, its like theyre empty.

I wonder if this has something to do with the new addons system, as it seems the directory structure in 'C:\Users\xbox\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\' has changed. Im not sure if the plugin is abeing installed correctly.

Anyone have any success with the launcher plugin and a svn version of xbmc for directx?
I started to do some thinkering on the Launcher today on SVN build 31095. Since this is the first time I have touched the code of a plugin om xbmc it's not much:

- To make Launcher show up in plugins:
  • Put Launcher (folder) in addons
  • Create an addon.xml for it (use Ted Talks plugin as an example - the <provides>-tag should contain executable

- There are two lines of code that make the Launcher die without any feedback. In launcher_plugin.py(772-773):

Code:
self.settings[ "thumbs_path" ] = xbmc.translatePath(xbmcplugin.getSetting( "thumbs_path" ))
self.settings[ "search_engine" ] = xbmcplugin.getSetting( "search_engine" )

I believe they should read:

Code:
    self.settings[ "thumbs_path" ]     =  xbmc.translatePath(xbmcplugin.getSetting(int(sys.argv[1]) ,"thumbs_path" ))
    self.settings[ "search_engine" ]   =  xbmcplugin.getSetting(int(sys.argv[1]), "search_engine" )

The result? The launcher loads, but every label is gone (I get all the windows, but it doesn't say "command line arguments" etc). It seems I can add one launcher correctly. But then I can't find a way to add another. Also I am not sure that the launcher will even work since I haven't had time testing it.

Hoping someone a bit more experienced can take a look =)
So I have made some progress, the text now shows up and I made a snes rom launch. Be free to take a look - not a patch but a complete addon. Extract to addons/ (you might have to do an update in the add-ons section before it will pop up)

http://home.nomansland.biz/~zerqent/xbmc-launcher/

*edit*
Seems it is working better than what I expected. Testing it now on windows, adding new launchers is ok, adding after the first one looks like its working, pictures shows up etc. =)