Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
philter: what, no GigE network? Smile

I updated my local source to the latest svn today.

Running Ubuntu 8.10 and NVIDIA 180.37
opts: --prefix=/usr --disable-debug --disable-pulse

i found that xbmc does not want to start Sad had to go back to my mar07 compile. sorry, i should be using svn numbers... i will next time Smile

also.. i will re-enable debug on next compile, so i can provide some real info.

i am wondering too if i should wipe my local svn copy and download fresh. not sure why that should matter since i do a 'make really clean' before configure
Check the command line you use to start xbmc if it has the -p option you have to remove it now. The -p now means "portable mode" whatever that means. It was bombing for me too after updating until I removed it.
Had to run "make install" for this one to work Wink

Otherwise:
Code:
user@office:~/src/xbmc-vdpau/XBMC$ ./xbmc.bin
sh: /usr/local/share/xbmc/xbmc-xrandr: not found
Fatal error encountered, aborting
Error log at /var/tmp/user-xbmc.log
Aborted (core dumped)
Yea, sorry about that - upstream changes mean you have to make install. I updated the instructions on pg1 to reflect this yesterday.

motd
Turns out it wasn't the disk usage from the streaming client...I still get about 17-20 FPS on my 1080p movies/clips with r18468. The Artbeats demo posted earlier and my problems with it remain the same.

I just added 1GB more RAM and it didn't help.

Here is the log of the Artbeats demo playing for a few seconds:

http://pastebin.com/m63ba19d3

..and of another 1080p movie

http://pastebin.com/d2a6cefbd
try to play the 1080p material from local HDD to eliminate potential network issues
I always play my content locally, everything I've tried to play tonight is on my 7200rpm WD 500GB SATA drive. The only reference I've made to streaming is that earlier a roommate was streaming an xvid video off my hard drive while I was attempting to watch a (local) 1080p video. I thought it may have been the problem but it wasn't, the behavior exists still after they are done watching.
Actually, it looks like I'm experiencing the exact problem discussed here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=46783

Same AMD/8x00 hardware configuration too (4850e/8200 - 3GB ram).
Checked now i have the same problem and in my htpc. Affect both 18470 vdpau and 18470 linuxport.
I don't think so - but nevertheless it is another issue. Yesterday i built xbmc-vdpau r18447 from svn, compile went fine and xbmc runs great. I downloaded the artbeat sample to test my vdpau setup which plays fine using mplayer from commandline. In xbmc though EVERY video i play (h264 @ 1080p or the simpsons 320x240) has a lot of judder. If i switch rendering to anything other than vdpau everything is fine again and i'm even able to play the artbeat sample smoothly solely on the cpu (AMD 4850e). Using VDPAU gives me the same audio issues as mentioned - audio is OK for about 10sec, then drops out and comes back... video is full of judder and way too slow, but cpu load is beneath 10% on both cores. i repeat: this happens on every video while using VDPAU.
shassino Wrote:Checked now i have the same problem and in my htpc. Affect both 18470 vdpau and 18470 linuxport.

This is weird as for my setup it ONLY happens on vdpau, not on advanced shaders for example (but even software rendering works)
adrian Wrote:Check the command line you use to start xbmc if it has the -p option you have to remove it now. The -p now means "portable mode" whatever that means. It was bombing for me too after updating until I removed it.

What does the -q stand for? It's in the XBMC Live start line...
@ haggy: I think your problem is another one, i was referring to this one:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=46783
the same problem of philter
Well - regarding the artbeat demo and audio issues it is the same for me too... you are right: i do have another issue with running xbmc @1080p and keeping up 50 or 60hz, but nevertheless, i can play fine the artbeat demo if NOT using vdpau, so this seems to be related to it?!
rodercot Wrote:mot2dk,

I upgraded to 18336 after removing the intrepid ppa on my main machine and just let the new install use my existing userdata. Could this be why I am now having issues where at the end of A regular movie only (not Tv or HD) it will not return to the library after the end of a movie. I have to hit stop on the remote to have it return to the library. I just tried to use pastebin and it says the file is too big.

log file (save target as)

http://www.scottcraftboats.com/downloads/031209xbmc.txt

Dave

Apparently I am having the same problem with HD Movies as well. TV shows do perform as normal, they stop and return to the library. Actually The hd movies that being 1080p, do not stop and this morning when I tried to stop it, xbmc crashed instead of returning to the library.

Any thoughts, I lost the log as I restarted xbmc and nothing in old log either.

should I revert to a another version or up to 18400 from 18336.

Dave