Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
t0ffluss Wrote:Let me just throw this one in, maybe somebody is able to help me on my issue here.

I was hoping to get the files from my new Canon 5D MarkII playing smoothly on my HTPC, after giving up Windows I installed the VDPAU xbmc version in Ubuntu mini Intrepid 8.10.

Basicly the performance is way beyond anything Windows can deliver, 1080p mkv run at 2-3% CPU usage in XBMC! very nice!

But for some odd reason the raw files coming from the Canon camera (1080p @ approx 40Mbit/s) will not for the love of god play without skipping.
Seems like it struggles with keeping the framerate up.. (on my rig it plays at approx 20fps, though CPU usage equals next to nothing...)

If anyone can confirm if the same thing happens on their rig I would really appreciate it! Smile

download sample video:
http://www.fluxxx.net/files/MVI_0626.mov 15 sec clip (75MB)
http://www.fluxxx.net/files/MVI_0519.mov 16 sec clip (80MB)

let me know..

info on my setup:
Core2Duo 2.33Ghz, 2GB (Dual Channel), Nvidia 9400GT 512MB.
Gbit network.

I can't play them either without problems. But my desktop PC also struggles and that's with the quicktime movie player and a more powerfull CPU.
Honestly don't think any setup can play those files they're probably not encoded properly.
nul7 Wrote:First off, thanks for all the hard work you're putting into this. I'm a born-again noob when it comes to Linux (haven't worked with it in years), so I'm sure my problem is behind the keyboard. I installed Kubuntu and compiled the VDPAU branch yesterday, and I seem to be having the exact opposite problems as everyone else. HD files play perfectly. However, I get no video when playing SD files. The audio plays, but the screen stays on the XBMC GUI. If I pause the video, the OSD pops up and the screen goes black. If I unpause, the screen stays black and the OSD doesn't go away.

I have tried multiple resolutions, auto-refresh on/off, each rendering option, full screen/windowed.... everything I could think of. Same result in each test.

CPU: Phenom 9850 BE
RAM: 4 GB
VID: MSI 9500GT 512 MB
DRIVER: 185.13
SVN: VDPAU r18620

The log is 8.7 MB so pastebin would accept it. I zipped it up (can you tell I'm a Win guy? lol) and put it on MediaFire:

http://www.mediafire.com/?i2vgvwmtst9

Videos play fine in VLC. What am I doing wrong??

I have the same issue with SVN 18622 (blank screen on SD with audio, HD works fine) I have dropped back to SVN 18469 for the time being. Also using 185.13
tslayer Wrote:I have the same issue. You need to have 512mb Video Ram. Not shared.

Is the consequence from that, that an integrated chipset graphic card will not work?
shagworthy_uk Wrote:I have the same issue with SVN 18622 (blank screen on SD with audio, HD works fine) I have dropped back to SVN 18469 for the time being. Also using 185.13

I also have this issue. I am just reverting to 18469 to see if this fixes it.

motd2k are you aware of the issue or is it a general svn problem?
motd2k Wrote:Haggy, can you try changing your resolution in XBMC to 'Auto', and then closing and restarting XBMC. It should start windowed. Could you then please try playing the file once more and let me know the results. If it is playing okay, press \ to go to fullscreen, and again - let me know the results of this. I suspect its a similar problem to the issue i'm having with my 8200 in XBMC. It is being worked on.

OK, here's the result: Starting in windowed mode, playback was somewhat better. Audio Dropouts came only once at the end of the file, but video was bad again, though judder and stuttering came less frequently than playing it fullscreen. I have a full debug log of the test - can it be of any help for you? Let me know where to put it...
stuartmarsden Wrote:I also have this issue. I am just reverting to 18469 to see if this fixes it.

Same experience here with a recent 18621 (but i merged on my own from linuxport -r18615:HEAD as i needed a patch for #6090). Audio fine, but no video regardless of rendering method and SD/HD content. Debug log gets flooded with 'CLinuxRenderer::GetImage - image planes not allocated'. My previous -r18605 runs fine.

motd2k: Any use for the full debug log for this issue as well? Got tons of'em Smile
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one having the problem with SD files, I guess. Means I didn't totally screw it up. lol I see some of you reverting to older builds... is that something I can do from SVN? Some sort of commandline switch to specify which version or would I need to have backed up a previous build?
stuartmarsden Wrote:I also have this issue. I am just reverting to 18469 to see if this fixes it.

aware, fixed on SVN
t0ffluss Wrote:Let me just throw this one in, maybe somebody is able to help me on my issue here.

I was hoping to get the files from my new Canon 5D MarkII playing smoothly on my HTPC, after giving up Windows I installed the VDPAU xbmc version in Ubuntu mini Intrepid 8.10.

These files fail to playback on GLSL (and therefore i'd imagine on linuxport too). I'd suggest trying them in mplayer - if they're slow in there then theres nothing much we can do about it - it's either a problem with the ffmpeg decoder or (more likely) a bizarre encoding... perhaps firmware the camera?
marcusfischer Wrote:Is the consequence from that, that an integrated chipset graphic card will not work?

We're seeing pretty big issues with integrated (specifically 8xxx integrated) chipsets within XBMC. For the moment, steer clear - either get a 9400 integrated (intel only afaik) or a 9500+ addon card and you should be fairly safe VDPAU-wise.
@motd2k
with the 185.x driver and the code change taking advantage of the new API, do we need to add any of the new options in xorg.conf ?

Thanks
motd2k Wrote:We're seeing pretty big issues with integrated (specifically 8xxx integrated) chipsets within XBMC. For the moment, steer clear - either get a 9400 integrated (intel only afaik) or a 9500+ addon card and you should be fairly safe VDPAU-wise.

9400 OR 9300 you mean? I believe they're equivalent chipsets with only a shader and memory speed difference.

That kind of answered a question I had in the back of my mind, however - should I get an 8300 AMD board or a 9x00 Intel board...
KeithZG Wrote:Just for the record, I'd like to mention that I checked a version out of the SVN and compiled it yesterday on my ancient 600mHz PIII with an 8400GS 512 PCI card (passively cooled and manufactured by Sparkle) slapped into it and a stripped-down Ubuntu install started with Ubuntu server....
So far it's handled <b>every</b> video I've thrown at it, it shrugs off 720p x264/mkv files and runs the 1080i Aliens MPEG2/ts rip I have lying around...
Or in other words, VDPAU on an 8400GS has let me run a hi-def projector and content on a computer whose components are mostly from 1999! This is very awesome, countless thanks to the devs.

THIS is exactly why the VDPAU branch is so important.

All you need is a $50 video card, a PCI slot, and a 10-yr old computer and you can play HD content with XBMC.

Talk about bringing it to the masses...

Good find, Keith. I was wondering when someone would try that.

-Wes
Could always donate part of the money you saved with your 10-yr old computers to the devcon '09 beer fund!!!
I'm not sure if you're interested in "success stories", but to anyone interested/curious, I just upgraded my system and put the following "old" parts in a OrigenAE case with XBMC/MythTV using the XBMC from SVN (as of about a week ago) and the VDPAU stuff enabled:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+
2 GB RAM
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTX

All video content I have in my archives including 1080p rips play without any visible flaws whatsoever. A interesting note for all the Windows haters: The exact same hardware running Vista was NOT able to play 1080p content =)

Keep up the great work!