Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
motd2k Wrote:VDPAU is at linuxport 18629 - if it was commited to linuxport after that it's not in this branch.

I am a bit confused here. This is the latest merge from today as per the timeline. So it seemd a huge revert towards linuxport.

01:42 Changeset [18675] by motd2k
Merged with linuxport 18443

But you are mentioning 18629 now as currently valid linuxport merge... Huh
I merged xbmc-smoothvideo as a favor to bobo1on1, that wasn't xbmc-vdpau
motd2k Wrote:I merged xbmc-smoothvideo as a favor to bobo1on1, that wasn't xbmc-vdpau

Could be great to merge the two together. This could help a lot with stuttering problems.

I think at the end the perfect setup will be vdpau with audio synced to video with Bobo1on1's code.
motd2k Wrote:I merged xbmc-smoothvideo as a favor to bobo1on1, that wasn't xbmc-vdpau

wooopppssss.... BlushBlushBlush
Sorry!
alanwww1 Wrote:I think at the end the perfect setup will be vdpau with audio synced to video with Bobo1on1's code.
Don't we have enough issues yet? Laugh
For me both branches are runnig pretty well. It is just an idea for the future.
With revision 18682 it seems like VDPAU is not working, altough
(VDPAU) Error: An invalid handle value was provided.(3) at DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp:928
Tried to track it down without much success.. doesn't seem logical, but I am too tired and not a c++ developer at all... and I can't reproduce it Sad but still I can't acceleration

Ups.. you just updated your code.. will give it a try
Still waiting for avenard to push out nvidia 185.13 driver. I will try the latest one when the new driver is out.

From my experience Revision 18436 is the most stable before r18605. I made a binary package based on that revision for those who are interested.

Link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5WOFMSK6

It runs perfectly on my system at least for those format supported by vdpau. 1080p plays fine as long as I adjust the CPU to 1.8G HZ.

Also be aware that with that build you will not have (build-in) subtitles for DVD and DVB.

My setup:
Geforce 8100 with 512MB shared memory
AMD 64x2 5000+ @ 1.8G
2x2G dual channel Memory
Ubuntu 8.10 I386
Still nothing - seems like it doesn't do vdpau Sad, but now the error pops every time
http://pastebin.ca/1365662
rev 18685
ubuntu 8.10, 2.6.27-11-generic
Nvidia drivers 180.35 - geforce 9500GS - dual core 2.5 Ghz T9300 - acer laptop (6920), 4GB RAM..
previous release I tried two weeks ago was OK..
Can I help with extra stuff to shoot this probem?
Don't you NEED the Nvidia BETA drivers 185.xx with last SVN of xbmc-vdpau?
I believe so

nikiiv Wrote:Still nothing - seems like it doesn't do vdpau Sad, but now the error pops every time
http://pastebin.ca/1365662
rev 18685
ubuntu 8.10, 2.6.27-11-generic
Nvidia drivers 180.35 - geforce 9500GS - dual core 2.5 Ghz T9300 - acer laptop (6920), 4GB RAM..
previous release I tried two weeks ago was OK..
Can I help with extra stuff to shoot this probem?
Yep you need the beta. I had problems till i upgraded to the nvidia 185.13 driver.

cheers.
So I am running VDPAU on a 8600GT card with only 256MB Memory. I can play basically everything, even the bird scene from Planet Earth without any dropped frames.
Am I just lucky or what's the deal with all the "you must have 512Mb memory"? :p
The 512MB memory deal is mainly for IGP and for temporal spatial deinterlacing. There are dozens of users reporting great success with pci/e cards and only 256MB memory.
Alrighty-o
To quote an oft-overused term...

Your mileage may vary!!!

It depends on alot of factors including, for example, what skin you're running, the size of textures it uses, what desktop manager you're using, whether you have compiz (puke) enabled...

Most people will agree, 512MB is 'safe' - and so if you have the option, spend the extra $5 Tongue