Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sounds to me like you have renderer set on 'Auto' instead of 'VDPAU'
ERamseth Wrote:I am on the same motherboard. I got it for the 8300 which should be fully capable of 1080p over hdmi, even the killa sample.

Fortunately (and I really, really didn't realize it at the time...) I accidentally built my computer fast enough to decode 1080p in glsl/software... only drop about 70 frames on the killa sample... other 1080p sources work great.

Still, it kills the cpu and once I have other software running on this thing all the time (as I fully plan to do) there's definitely going to be an issue. CPU at 5%-25% while watching 1080p should be fully possible... It seems to be improving with each driver release but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part...

The slow UI issue is related to the 8x00 IGP series, nothing to do with VDPAU, so if you have this issue GLSL decoding will be choppy too.
motd2k Wrote:The slow UI issue is related to the 8x00 IGP series, nothing to do with VDPAU, so if you have this issue GLSL decoding will be choppy too.

Yeah I haven't really noticed the slow GUI issue.... all my references are based on the latest SVN for the most part. Maybe it was fixed somewhere? I havent dug through the code changes.

Also, I assume the slow GUI related issue would affect OpenGL audio vis, like Project M? Project M runs great on my end, so no issues there.

Really the only issue I have is VDPAU choppiness/jerkiness.
ERamseth Wrote:Yeah I haven't really noticed the slow GUI issue.... all my references are based on the latest SVN for the most part. Maybe it was fixed somewhere? I havent dug through the code changes.

Also, I assume the slow GUI related issue would affect OpenGL audio vis, like Project M? Project M runs great on my end, so no issues there.

Really the only issue I have is VDPAU choppiness/jerkiness.

I have the same Asus M3N78-EM with the 8300 and HDMI out that others in this topic have.

I too do not notice any performance problems with the GUI. It's very snappy. I'm using 9.04~beta1svn19716-jaunty1 with nvidia's 180.53 driver. I do have severe choppiness with VDPAU though.

Is NVidia aware of an issue with the 8000 series IGPs?
motd2k Wrote:Sounds to me like you have renderer set on 'Auto' instead of 'VDPAU'

You were right. I thought that Auto was smart enough to resort to VDPAU when applicable, I guess I was wrong.

Switching to VDPAU brought the CPU usage back to a few percents. My test video is still choppy, and another one is just crashing XBMC, but most of them just play nicely, so I reckon my problems are now due to bad encodings that VDPAU cannot swallow.

So, to sum it up, and because my modus operandi is slightly different from s7mx1 up here, here is my tweaks to get an OK XBMC experience with 8200 IGP and VDPAU over HDMI:

1/ I added 'echo 1800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq' in my /etc/rc.local

2/ I start XBMC with Auto resolution. At every startup, I go to Settings > Appearance, toggle the resolution from Auto to whatever and back to Auto. This enables the "Test" button right below that. I click on test and accept. If I do it this way, XBMC reports a 1080i resolution. Just hitting backslash gives me a 720p resolution. I have a full HD TV so a 720p output does not seem optimal in my case.

3/ I use this .asoundrc: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=273...stcount=12. Some SD video sounds were not playing otherwise, and MP3 were played at high pitch (too fast).

4/ Renderer is set to VDPAU

Hope that helps.
Sylvain
kxmas Wrote:Is NVidia aware of an issue with the 8000 series IGPs?

I have the same board and the same issues - snappy GUI but jerky VDPAU playback. However, i don't think it's an issue with the IGP itself as mplayer has no problems playing the files smoothely.

EDIT: What's really astonishing is, that i can play the infamous killa sample nearly perfect meanwhile, and even the artbeats sample runs great, but some BR dumps off hdd don't...
Brezhonneg Wrote:You were right. I thought that Auto was smart enough to resort to VDPAU when applicable, I guess I was wrong.

Sylvain

This behavior was on purpose at least for 9.04 beta1. To enable vdpau you have to explicit choose vdpau as the render method.

It seems to have vdpau playback you have to go through a lot tedious actions (which version of XBMC and nvidia driver you are using?). If you know python you can automate this whole procedure (have a look at httpapi and event client).
Tedius? All you have to do is change the renderer. Unless you have an 8200, but thats not really related to this thread.
How are the chances for 8200 going forward? Should I simply get a cheap PCI-E Nvidia card to get it running properly or is a fix possible and likely to be implemented?
Anyone else of you getting crashes with 1080p h264 material lately? I can't reproduce it, but I just tried 3 different 1080p movies with vdpau enabled, and upon starting to play XBMC immediately crashes to desktop. Played a bit around with vdpau on/off and then I could play them again .... I'll svn up tonight and install again and then post log etc. if the crashes still occure.

boba
nipnup Wrote:How are the chances for 8200 going forward? Should I simply get a cheap PCI-E Nvidia card to get it running properly or is a fix possible and likely to be implemented?

?? There is a patch and two work-arounds...

xnappo
nipnup Wrote:How are the chances for 8200 going forward? Should I simply get a cheap PCI-E Nvidia card to get it running properly or is a fix possible and likely to be implemented?
Even using the workarounds I found often some 1080p files wouldnt play quite right. I went and got a cheap 9400GT passive PCI-E card, and now its runs perfect with zero issues.

If you can get a good deal on one, id recommend just buying one (got mine for around $60cad). When the 8300 works better in xbmc then im sure you can find another use for a PCI-E card capable of 1080p playback.

I am looking forward to the 8300 working better with xbmc, as eventually im going to need my PCI-E slot for a RAID/SATA card.
boba23 Wrote:upon starting to play XBMC immediately crashes to desktop.

I am having the same issue but it's with any x264 video (maybe any vdpau video). If I started it, xbmc crashes.
However, I've noticed that if I start it in window mode (hit backslash), it plays, then I can switch to fullscreen once it starts and everything works fine.

I just finished doing this thinking a new build would fix it but it didn't:
svn up
make clean
./configure --disable-pulse --prefix=/usr
make
sudo make uninstall
sudo make install

The error message I get is:
XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
after 140 requests (138 known processed) with 2 events remaining.
Segmentation fault

So, maybe it's a Jaunty problem?
boba23 Wrote:Anyone else of you getting crashes with 1080p h264 material lately? I can't reproduce it, but I just tried 3 different 1080p movies with vdpau enabled, and upon starting to play XBMC immediately crashes to desktop. Played a bit around with vdpau on/off and then I could play them again .... I'll svn up tonight and install again and then post log etc. if the crashes still occure.

boba

I am experiencing this as well. I'll try and get more info.
AllanMar Wrote:Even using the workarounds I found often some 1080p files wouldnt play quite right. I went and got a cheap 9400GT passive PCI-E card, and now its runs perfect with zero issues.

Do you have a free example of such a file? I have not run across anything that won't play right.

xnappo