Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: user data folder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The manual shows the below for the user data folder

Where is user specific data stored?

All user-specific data is stored in in the XBMC home directory which, for a standard installation, is found in your windows users' application data directory, which is C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\XBMC on Windows XP

XBMC will not alter this directory on an upgrade, so your data will remain safe between upgrades of XBMC.

I have checked in this path C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\XBMC and I do not show anything.

I have the path for user data here C:\Program Files\XBMC\user data

I believe I am running the -p version as the xbmc short cut shows in the path the -p fs. I updated my build yesterday to build 20478

here is my log from xbmc autoupdater to show build.

http://pastebin.com/m2d26eb1a

What did I do wrong and will this affect anything? I made an advancesettings.xml and put it in the path C:\Program Files\XBMC\user data

Just wanted to make sure as I am modifying the skin like I want it and dont want to lose it after I do all the work etc..

Thanks
Remove -p as that's for Portable Mode.
Would putting the advancesettings.xml in that path C:\Program Files\XBMC\user data be ok? Would this affect anything?
xbmc.exe -p -> all data is written and used from C:\Program Files\XBMC\

xbmc.exe -> user defined data go to C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\XBMC
There's nothing necessarily wrong with using portable mode. The trick is you might lose some things if you do an uninstall that you wouldn't lose in default mode. It's a personal choice thing, more than anything else.
And you need to be an admin user otherwise XP/Vista don't let you write to the XBMC installation directory (portable mode).