Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Remote for Android
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@freezy: http://code.google.com/p/android-xbmcrem...l?id=32#c8

ReadTimeout always gets set to 10000ms (settings fail).
Patch attached to issue #32

:O) Mikkle
Ibsta Wrote:Hey guys

Again, great work on the app. looks like it is comming along fast.

I have a few feature suggestions:

1) A soft volume button on the now playing screen
What's wrong with the hardware buttons?

Ibsta Wrote:2) Stop the beeping when using the hard volume buttons, if possible.
Open a ticket please.

Ibsta Wrote:3) Fast forward and fast rewind functionality from the now playing screen
Won't happen, you have the remote control for that. There is some more direct access via the menus planned, though.

Ibsta Wrote:4) A configuration option to keep the app in portrait view
Good suggestion, open a ticket please.

Ibsta Wrote:5) configuration option to stop the phone from sleeping and locking up. can be a little anoying having to unlock the phone everytime i go for the remote.
Not sure if that's possible. Ticket.

krl69 Wrote:6) Go automatically to "now playing screen" when queuing or doing a "play album" or song.
I don't think anyone wants to go to the "Now playing" screen after queuing something. I normally want to queue something else and not have to go back each time. Granted, after "Play" it would make more sense. And I think you know the answer... Ticket please. Wink

krl69 Wrote:7) Show fan and album pictures. Mine doesn’t anyway...
Yep, not yet implemented. I think there's already a ticket for that though.

krl69 Wrote:8) Volume bar in "now playing screen"
Something coming up while changing volume that indicates visually the volume is planned. Not sure about the details though. Creating a ticket would help. Wink

krl69 Wrote:9) Keep up the good work!
Thanks, will try Smile
seaweeduk Wrote:Hi guys, same problems under 0.5.6 just posting an update in case any of this helps solve things. I'm not sure the socket timeout value in the configuration settings is actually doing anything, regardless of value I still receive a timeout after 10 seconds.

Here's an updated log from the xbox with debugging enabled of what happens when I try and view albums

http://pastebin.com/d354c7554

and another remote log is here this time with timeout set to 60000 instead of 0

http://pastebin.com/d2d8fb18f

I'm sorry I screwed up the settings config. The socket timeout is ignored for reasons pointed out by mikkle below. You'll need to retest when there's a new release.
Halibutt Wrote:Oh my god, this looks so perfect. Any chance for anyone to recompile it for Windows smartphones like Omnia? It seems there are lots of great remotes for iPhone, for Android, and none for WM...
Cheers

Yeah, as topfs2 pointed out, porting applications to another platforms and other hardware is not just a matter of "recompiling the app".
@all: As mentioned in the issue tracker comments: Do we need landscape mode at all? Anything at all in favor of it? I mean, the only time when I switch the phone to landscape mode is when I'm typing text or reading articles. For a remote control it's not convenient at all IMHO. So I'd just drop the landscape views and the app always stays in portrait mode. Opinions?
freezy Wrote:@all: As mentioned in the issue tracker comments: Do we need landscape mode at all? Anything at all in favor of it? I mean, the only time when I switch the phone to landscape mode is when I'm typing text or reading articles. For a remote control it's not convenient at all IMHO. So I'd just drop the landscape views and the app always stays in portrait mode. Opinions?

I sometimes use landscape view because of the additional remote buttons (direct access to tv/music/images/video). If you could add these extra buttons to the portrait mode I don't see any need for a landscape view. It looks like there might be enough space in the top area of the portrait remote.
freezy Wrote:
Ibsta Wrote:5) configuration option to stop the phone from sleeping and locking up. can be a little anoying having to unlock the phone everytime i go for the remote.
Not sure if that's possible. Ticket.
What I want to see is that the screen shuts down, or at least blend down, to save battery, but not locking up.
The phone has an option "Stay awake - Screen will never sleep while charging". Maybe that could be a help to look at that code?

Another thing I thinked about would be an icon that appeard at the right lower corner as soon as there is something that plying. In that way you can queu/play songs and have a simple way to the Now playing screen. Or a lite bar at the bottom that shows "Now playing: music name". And when click on it it scrolls up the Now Playing from the bottom of the screen.

Cheers
freezy Wrote:I'm sorry I screwed up the settings config. The socket timeout is ignored for reasons pointed out by mikkle below. You'll need to retest when there's a new release.

Not a problem at all I'll post an update once the new version is ready fingers crossed eveverything might work with a higher timeout, the xbmc log seems to indicate it will anyway.

Got a couple of feature requests and bugs but I'll post them to the issue tracker though. Keep up the great works devs I can't stress enough how awesome this app already is.
There is a way to completely disable the stand by, not sure about the fading out thing.
You can go to the "Now Playing" screen by choosing it from the menu... but a pull up bar (like the pull down taskbar of android itself) would be a pretty kewl thing... if it is possible.
freezy Wrote:I'm sorry I screwed up the settings config. The socket timeout is ignored for reasons pointed out by mikkle below. You'll need to retest when there's a new release.

Not a problem at all I'll post an update once the new version is ready fingers crossed eveverything might work with a higher timeout, the xbmc log seems to indicate it will anyway.

Got a couple of feature requests and bugs but I'll post them to the issue tracker once I'm home. Keep up the great works devs I can't stress enough how awesome this app already is.
I'm pretty sure its possible to prevent the phone going into sleep/locking the screen by the way I've definitely seen it on the permissions for apps from the market before
the_alien Wrote:There is a way to completely disable the stand by, not sure about the fading out thing.
When using that option I was talking about, it fade the display but don't turn it of.
Yeah, but it is a system option, not sure if it is possible to use it in apps. Will have a look at it and include the prevent standby option when i get home (which will be in a week Wink)
hey freezy

What's wrong with the hardware buttons?

well nothing. software buttons would just be a little more convenient plus there's the beeping. but its not a huge issue.

Do we need landscape mode at all?

presonally i dont think so. but if others use it a config option to turn this capability on or off could suit everyone. Probably obvious ...

Or a lite bar at the bottom that shows "Now playing: music name". And when click on it it scrolls up the Now Playing from the bottom of the screen.

awesome idea who ever mentioned it

thanks all. and yes sorry for not putting these things in your issue register. will do so when i get the chance

cheers
the_alien Wrote:Yeah, but it is a system option, not sure if it is possible to use it in apps. Will have a look at it and include the prevent standby option when i get home (which will be in a week Wink)

http://developer.android.com/reference/a...nager.html
and
http://developer.android.com/reference/a...eLock.html

:O) Mikkle