Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Remote for Android
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
freezy Wrote:@TheSovereign: To answer your previous question about remote control only: Why not. You are aware that everyone connected to the internet could control your media center like that, right? Can you open a ticket for that request please?

@us1111: Well, listening doesn't mean it's not blocked by something else. Are you sure you enabled the "Allow programs on other systems to control XBMC" setting under Network -> Services? Also make sure other network stuff like browsing on your phone works, my Hero has network problems lately, I'm getting "No route to host" messages while WiFi is connected, need to reconnect in that case.

Hmm.. Tried Event Controller on a laptop with blackbolt virtual controller, that's working. Also http throught 8080 and 9090 (9090 was my http port, replaced it with the default 8080 to be sure).

So:

9777 UDP Event controller working with Virtual controller
8080 http working with web browser from phone

Only thing that's not working is android controller Sad I get the popup Socket Timeout "Make sure webserver is enabled...."). As stated, webserver is reachable.

By the way.. I am using XBMC alpha2 Karmic..
sweet freezy.
Okay, some time passed, but it wasn't stable enough yet.

Added: First version of movie library
Added: Batch-download for thumbs (album, movie and actor)
Added: Broadcast implementation (but not yet active - will force you to update to latest XBMC)
Fixed: Beep when changing volume with hardware volume buttons
Fixed: Bug in (Android-)broadcast receiver
Fixed: Some memory leaks, false allocations and some code cleanup

Download v0.6.1

Some words about the movie library:
  • Movie library supports (as the name suggests) movies only. You can browse by title, actors, genres and files. The latter allows you to browse your other videos.
  • Supported artwork includes movie poster and actor thumbs
  • If you don't want to download the artwork on the fly, you can batch download all of them via the home screen -> menu -> download covers. Also works for album covers.
  • However, users with no folder structure will not see any covers, this is going to be fixed in the next release
  • Droid users use this on your own risk. Hires GFX aren't added yet and the layout is probably messed up. You have been warned.
  • I tested with ~1000 movies and ~20'000 actors, worked okay. If you have crashes, please don't hesitate to submit them.
  • The "Now playing" screen still displays the square jewel case. That will of course change sooner or later.

Feedbacks to the movie library are welcome, note however that this is NOT the TV shows library, which will get a separate implementation. Also general impressions are always welcome, if it's snappy for you or lagging, if you get a lot of crashes or if everything is working great, or if the new jewel case is beautiful or disgusting. Smile

Screenshots are updated.

Enjoy!
Good news !

little feed-back:
I Just test without my xbmc running and clicking on cover is allowed .. but I'm not connected so .. Then I get a ForceClose.

Kytrix
Nice. I'll test it right away.

EDIT: I really like the menu icons in Movies
Ok. I still have little Force close here and there. Can I help you with some new debuglogs or something or do you have anything you need already?

Have a couple suggestions and questions to:
* Change the Artist menu icon to a head in profile. Maybe Genres icon to, to something more easy understanding, a note maybe.
* In Genres menu: be able to unselect undesirable genres to decrease the number of them. Also a wise thing to do is to move an artist that missing an unhidden genre to genre "Other" so there should be no missing artist in genres.
* when typing on the keyboard to search an album, insert string search instead of first letter search.

Keep up the good work!
Cheers StarChild
StarChild Wrote:* when typing on the keyboard to search an album, insert string search instead of first letter search.
Cheers StarChild

Do we want a regular search, or just a 2-chars string.startsWith() search like the one in XBMC?
I'm actually thinking of doing both, if possible, so entering lower-case chars will do regular search, and shifted chars will do like XBMC. (XBMC also uses shifted chars).

Whaddaya think?

:O) Mikkle
StarChild Wrote:Ok. I still have little Force close here and there. Can I help you with some new debuglogs or something or do you have anything you need already?
Yes please, logs of the exception would be great. Just open a new issue on the tracker for each crash you feel unrelated to the other.

StarChild Wrote:Have a couple suggestions and questions to:
* Change the Artist menu icon to a head in profile. Maybe Genres icon to, to something more easy understanding, a note maybe.
* In Genres menu: be able to unselect undesirable genres to decrease the number of them. Also a wise thing to do is to move an artist that missing an unhidden genre to genre "Other" so there should be no missing artist in genres.
* when typing on the keyboard to search an album, insert string search instead of first letter search.
Icons: I assume you're talking about the tab icons. It's hard to find an icon for "genres". Quite impossible actually. For actor it's easier, but the one now I find pretty obvious.
Genres menu: Add a ticket. Unlikely to be done soon.. I don't understand at all what you mean by the missing artists.
Search: Not at all implemented yet, I thought about making use of the search button of the device and not fiddling with the shift key which most of us don't even have. I imagined having a "while-typing-search" with at least 3 chars. Any thoughts, mikkle?
freezy Wrote:Yes please, logs of the exception would be great. Just open a new issue on the tracker for each crash you feel unrelated to the other.
Ok. The problem is that I don't know anymore if these errors is related to the ones in the tickets. Or even if the tickets is fixed and these are new ones. Its hard to find a model to reproduce them.

freezy Wrote:Icons: I assume you're talking about the tab icons. It's hard to find an icon for "genres". Quite impossible actually. For actor it's easier, but the one now I find pretty obvious.
Genres menu: Add a ticket. Unlikely to be done soon.. I don't understand at all what you mean by the missing artists.
Search: Not at all implemented yet, I thought about making use of the search button of the device and not fiddling with the shift key which most of us don't even have. I imagined having a "while-typing-search" with at least 3 chars. Any thoughts, mikkle?
Icons: Hmm.. do we talk about the same icon, albumicon? The second one from the left in Music section, right?
Genres menu: Ok, if you hide a genre there will be missing artists in the Genre menu, right?
Search: Search is implemented here (HTC Magic). Search button sounds good to me.
StarChild Wrote:Ok. The problem is that I don't know anymore if these errors is related to the ones in the tickets. Or even if the tickets is fixed and these are new ones. Its hard to find a model to reproduce them.
Doesn't matter then. Just open a ticket for each one and we'll merge them.

StarChild Wrote:Icons: Hmm.. do we talk about the same icon, albumicon? The second one from the left in Music section, right?
Ah, that. I thought you were talking about the actors icon in the movie section. Yeah I guess that could use some rework.

StarChild Wrote:Genres menu: Ok, if you hide a genre there will be missing artists in the Genre menu, right?
Ah so you want to be able to group some genres of choice into a "Others" genre?

StarChild Wrote:Search: Search is implemented here (HTC Magic). Search button sounds good to me.
That's not really a search, it just jumps to the letter you typed. By search I mean wipe non-matched items from the list and fulltext search anywhere in the title with keyword(s) highlighted.
@freezy

Icons: Yes the actors icon is superb. I have an idé about the genre icon. But I cant find any examples on that. But its basically to heads in profile pointing from eachother with two completely different music styles (ex. punk and classics). But I don't know if its possible to get it viewable enough in black and white in such a small place. Maybe a dancing couple. Maybe a tone then Wink Or maybe its best as it is now.
Genres menu: Yes, something like that. A filter to sort out genres to increase the number of them.
Search: Ok, a real search is even better then Smile

/Cheers StarChild
i cant connect with the newest version. The remote works but it wont connect to view my films, music etc.

it did connect once but then force closed while downloading covers.

this is on a g1.

it is doing something, as i i put the wrong password in the settings then it comes up with 401 error - not authorised. but when i put the right settings in i get socket timeout first time around then nothing
I have an issue with movie posters. For some reason they don't show up. When I try to manually download them using the menu option, it will go through all of the items but then there are only about 6 files in the xbmc/Video/Small folder. If I go to Download actor shots it will F/C on me but the files in xbmc/Video/Small seem to be some actor images that made it before the F/C.

One minor thing you probably already have somewhere on the list: Instead of the "Play Movie" and "Play Trailer" button have a bar on bottom that will offer these actions.
ccMatrix Wrote:I have an issue with movie posters. For some reason they don't show up. When I try to manually download them using the menu option, it will go through all of the items but then there are only about 6 files in the xbmc/Video/Small folder. If I go to Download actor shots it will F/C on me but the files in xbmc/Video/Small seem to be some actor images that made it before the F/C.
Do keep your movies in separate folders or all in one folder?

ccMatrix Wrote:One minor thing you probably already have somewhere on the list: Instead of the "Play Movie" and "Play Trailer" button have a bar on bottom that will offer these actions.
Yeah the buttons are real ugly. Will figure something out.
welly_59 Wrote:i cant connect with the newest version. The remote works but it wont connect to view my films, music etc.
Newest version of XBMC or the remote app? XBMC changed quite a few settings lately, so if you updated XBMC, your network settings will probably be reset. Keep that in mind.
On that note, we didn't change anything in the network code. Try, dunno, without password protection already? Then you sure you allowed other computers to connect to XBMC? That setting was renamed for sure.

welly_59 Wrote:it did connect once but then force closed while downloading covers.
Batch downloading or on the fly download while browsing?