Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AppleTV] Import existing Apple TV iTunes synced content into XBMC's library?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys - sorry to resurrect this question but the few threads I have found on the subject just died or never did come to a conclusion!

I have an ATV Flash enabled Apple TV as of a couple of days now, I synced my iTunes content from my main Macbook (no streaming as I have upgraded ATV to 500Gb internal drive) and can play my music and watch my few MP4 Handbrake encoded movies absolutely fine in the bog standard ATV interface (FrontRow?). I then installed and ran XBMC and no matter where I browse to add sources nothing shows up that has any content!!? I have FTP'd into the ATV and all I get is the folders listed in attached pic (hope the attachment works!). PS. Movies folder has some VOB files in it I have FTP'd across to play with, hence the size!

There doesn't seem much point in copying all my iTunes synced content again to the XBMC Movies and Music folders and therefore using up valuable disk space - can XBMC not see the synced content?

Tim.
That is what the itunes plugin in the audio section should take care of
interceptor121 Wrote:That is what the itunes plugin in the audio section should take care of

Thanks interceptor121 but nope that link does absolutely nothing! Is it supposed to, can't find any documentation that talks of it at all?

Has anyone wrote a user guide to this software? I don't mean the convoluted excuse that is basically a list of features that calls itself a wiki - I mean a guide written for users, not programmers, and not written by the developers (who are programmers and therefore inhabit a totally different universe to 'users').

Sorry to be grouchy - but this does look a sweet bit of software, that is made virtually useless by the lack of documentation. Free or not - if you can't make it work what's it for?
then friggan do something about it, user as you are. it's a wiki - have at it.
spiff Wrote:then friggan do something about it, user as you are. it's a wiki - have at it.

You live up to your tag line spiff ...and I would not expect anything less from a developer, yet alone a grumpy bastard one - back in your programming cupboard who let you out :-)
timiambeing Wrote:You live up to your tag line spiff ...and I would not expect anything less from a developer, yet alone a grumpy bastard one - back in your programming cupboard who let you out :-)

You're just joking around right?

Try to google XBMC wiki. You will find man hours of effort there for you by these "developers" and others.

Then specific to the plugin for iTunes you could try:
http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37313
Thanks boseman - have googled the wiki but nothing on how to import your local Apple TV iTunes library into the XBMC app, nor is there any direct illumination in the thread you highlighted - although it does seem to indicate people are doing it so I have posted a question there - I think most folk are pointing to iTunes libraries elsewhere whereas I want to access the one already on the ATV's internal drive.

PS. Joking? Hmm. Well I have seen several of spiff's short, curt and pretty unhelpful replies whilst I have been researching all things XBMC... someone really should feed him before he goes out :-)

PPS. Mind you I have just re-read my original post and yes, if I was a developer then maybe I would come out spitting!!! Apologies all round if my tone offended, just so frustrating when you have been at it all afternoon and can't get things working because there isn't a simple step-by-step user guide explaining the basics.
spiff Wrote:then friggan do something about it, user as you are. it's a wiki - have at it.

Ah the joys of the friendly xbmc folksSmile But seriously, that plugin is not obvious. It doesn't work for me, at least, on my ATV 3.01 and running Confluence (which is really nice). Even if you change over to some other skin and import the iTunes Library nothing shows up. I have read the wiki and a zillion things here. Perhaps it only works for XBMC on the Mac? Or perhaps ATV 2.x? Things changed a bit with ATV 3.x and that plugin is older. It would be great if it worked.

philip
timiambeing Wrote:Thanks boseman - have googled the wiki but nothing on how to import your local Apple TV iTunes library into the XBMC app, nor is there any direct illumination in the thread you highlighted - although it does seem to indicate people are doing it so I have posted a question there - I think most folk are pointing to iTunes libraries elsewhere whereas I want to access the one already on the ATV's internal drive.

PS. Joking? Hmm. Well I have seen several of spiff's short, curt and pretty unhelpful replies whilst I have been researching all things XBMC... someone really should feed him before he goes out :-)

PPS. Mind you I have just re-read my original post and yes, if I was a developer then maybe I would come out spitting!!! Apologies all round if my tone offended, just so frustrating when you have been at it all afternoon and can't get things working because there isn't a simple step-by-step user guide explaining the basics.

Would you please explain it to me? I have been trying to get that to work, under the same conditions as you, for quite some time.

I am running ATV 3.01 and XBMC 9.11. I typically sync (don't stream) to my ATV. This would really be a breakthrough if it worked, which I am not convinced it does.

philip
timiambeing Wrote:... (no streaming as I have upgraded ATV to 500Gb internal drive) ...
Hi Tim,
What is your HDD model? The biggest 2,5" IDE (PATA) I've found is a 320GB from WD.
raydevos Wrote:Hi Tim,
What is your HDD model? The biggest 2,5" IDE (PATA) I've found is a 320GB from WD.

Yes that's what Apple would have you believe as well - no idea what mine is as it just arrived with it in all ATV Flash hacked and ready to go, bought it from http://www.marlcroftcomputers.co.uk/ who was recommended by Ashley at AVI where I bought my speakers :-) Andy there says I can go to 750Gb if required.
think of SATA to PATA connectors Tongue
pmcd Wrote:Ah the joys of the friendly xbmc folksSmile But seriously, that plugin is not obvious. It doesn't work for me, at least, on my ATV 3.01 and running Confluence (which is really nice).
philip

... when we get criticized and attacked for what we have done by somebody that has contributed zilch i WILL react, in particular when it is done in a mocking tone like that. he was way out of line there. not just against us devs, personally i have a thick skin, but also against all the users that actually have contributed to the wiki. nobody else will speak up so i do it even if it makes me unpopular and grumpy.
The best way of getting _ANY_ file based content into XBMC is to just add the folder where they're located, and (if you want them in the library) scan them in.

Just add the iTunes music folder as a source, and scan 'em in.

Cheers,
Jonathan
spiff Wrote:... when we get criticized and attacked for what we have done by somebody that has contributed zilch i WILL react, in particular when it is done in a mocking tone like that. he was way out of line there. not just against us devs, personally i have a thick skin, but also against all the users that actually have contributed to the wiki. nobody else will speak up so i do it even if it makes me unpopular and grumpy.

Spiff, how do I play this in XMBC? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eA3XCvrK90 Need help asap, didn't read wiki.
Pages: 1 2