Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [MOD] Add an internet browser-button (or any application) to Home-menu (Win7)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First open Home.xml in \skin\Confluence\720p

Add following code between the closing </item> tag and before the <item id=”6”> tag (scroll down to somewhere in the middle of home.xml or search for "id=6"):

<item id="12">
<label>Internet</label>
<onclick>XBMC.System.Exec(C:\Program files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe)</onclick>
<icon>special://skin/backgrounds/firefox.jpg</icon>
</item>

(You can use any id as long as it's unique.)

So when you click on the "Internet"-item the browser will open up and when you're done surfing and close the browser-window, XBMC will popup again.

[EDIT]
Additionally if you want the screen to change to lower resolution before executing the browser or program so it's easier to read, here's what you do:

1. Download ResSwitch & ResCopy v1.24 (free) and extract it to C:\

2. Create a textfile in "C:\Program files\Mozilla Firefox" and name it: Firefox.bat, rightclick it and select Edit.

3. Add the following lines:

C:\ResSwitch.exe /WIDTH:1280 /HEIGHT:800
start /w C:\Program files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe
C:\ResSwitch.exe /WIDTH:1920 /HEIGHT:1080

4. Open Home.xml in ...\skin\Confluence\720p and change <onclick>XBMC.System.Exec(C:\Program files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe)</onclick> to
<onclick>XBMC.System.Exec(C:\Program files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.bat)</onclick> and save and close. Done!

5. Now when you click on the Internet-button in the Home-menu, XBMC will minimize, change resolution to 1240x800 and launch Firefox. When you exit Firefox the resolution will change back to default and XBMC will popup again.

SPOTIFY
Here's what i did to get Spotify to launch correctly:

<item id="13">
<label>Spotify</label>
<onclick>XBMC.System.Exec(C:\Spotify.bat)</onclick>
<icon>special://skin/backgrounds/spotify.jpg</icon>
</item>

Create a shortcut to Spotify.exe and place it in c:\ and rename it to "spotify.exe.lnk"
Create a spotify.bat file and put this in it:

C:\ResSwitch.exe /WIDTH:1280 /HEIGHT:800
C:\spotify.exe.lnk
C:\ResSwitch.exe /WIDTH:1920 /HEIGHT:1080

The ResSwitch is ofcourse optional.
Exit Spotify from the File menu otherwise the .bat-file won't continue to the next line and exit back to XBMC.
Can this be done in Linux?
rflores2323 Wrote:Can this be done in Linux?

try with:
Code:
<onclick>XBMC.System.Exec(/usr/bin/firefox)</onclick>
do you have to have the launcher script installed? what else is required to set up?
No you do not need the Launcher-plugin...
And if you want some nice backgrounds for whatever browser or app you use, check out deviantart.com
I'm having trouble getting it to launch firefox.exe from C:\Program Files\Firefox\firefox.exe

When I "launch" this from the homescreen it says: windows cannot find... etc...

Whats wrong with it? I can double click the firefox.exe from the above location and it launches just fine.
t2ffn Wrote:I'm having trouble getting it to launch firefox.exe from C:\Program Files\Firefox\firefox.exe

When I "launch" this from the homescreen it says: windows cannot find... etc...

Whats wrong with it? I can double click the firefox.exe from the above location and it launches just fine.

Try: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

Works for me in Win7
Thanks but I actually used firefox\firefox.exe as thats the folder structure I have in my Program Files folder, I installed to firefox, not mozilla firefox folder.

I thought it was the spaces at first, between program and files... stumped for now.

I'm in XP incase it makes a difference.
Ok, tried it with internet explorer and still comes back with a windows cannot find C:\Program '.

If I paste the location into Run, it launches firefox, so again, dunno!
Double post.
t2ffn Wrote:Ok, tried it with internet explorer and still comes back with a windows cannot find C:\Program '.

If I paste the location into Run, it launches firefox, so again, dunno!

you can try (i dont know enough from windows):

1. <onclick>XBMC.System.Exec("C:\Program files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe")</onclick> (use quotes)
2. <onclick>XBMC.System.Exec(C:\Progra~1\Mozill~1\Firefox.exe)</onclick>
3. create an c:\firefox.bat with that contains:
C:\Program files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe
and use:
<onclick>XBMC.System.Exec(C:\firefox.bat)</onclick>
4. setup path also to C:\Program files\Mozilla Firefox\ and use:
<onclick>XBMC.System.Exec(Firefox.exe)</onclick>
Smile
I've ran this script and have gotten xbmc to launch the application (google chrome) how ever right after it opens the page xbmc pops back up and I have to alt+tab to bring up the page.

I'm running xbmc dharma build under the xii skin with win7 any thoughts ?

sgkcem
I was able to figure it out

Thanks for looking
Pages: 1 2