Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [WINDOWS] Apple Remote to work for XBMC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So I have an Mac Mini. I used to run Plex for a while but I came back to XBMC because of some minor issues and I decided to install Windows 7 on my Mac so I can use some of my other tools on it aswell.

I have the lovely wireless keyboard from Apple and its working great, however, it would be nice if I could get the remote to work aswell.

I have been reading quiet abit about this issue and it seems that the problem is in the drivers/bootcamp software. The remote works fine with iTunes...tools that should be able to capture IR commands dont see anything coming in tho.

Has anyone figured out if its possible to get the remote to work for XBMC at all?

Or should I get a 3rd party IR receiver?
I use a Mac Mini with Bootcamp and I love it :-) Apart from looking good and being wonderfully built the sound seems better than on a Revo. Apple presumably paid more for the audio circuitry.

Anyhow I use a Microsoft remote bought from eBay. This works very well with XBMC, see http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows, and is a lot more flexible than the Apple remote. The receiver can be tucked in under the TV and is not intrusive.

JR
OK, I've finally found a way to use an Apple Remote with XBMC, running on Windows 7 and Boot Camp 3.1.

1. First you need to adjust how the IR receiver is seen by the OS. This will disable the remote's ability to control the volume and iTunes, which is necessary for this procedure. Open up the Control Panel, and go to System-> Device Manager. From there, expand the "Human Interface Devices" box, and right click on the Apple IR Receiver. Go to Properties->Driver->Update Driver. From here, choose "Browse...", then "Let me choose..." Now, choose USB Input Device. You'll have to restart your computer to install this generic driver.

2. Download EventGhost, and install it. It may seem a bit daunting at first, but it's pretty easy to use and very flexible. Create a new Tree file (a new one will be opened by default), and make it look like the screenshots below:

Image Image

(The second file is the bottom part of the first)

In order to make this file, you'll first need to add the plugin you see near the top for the Apple IR Receiver. Go to "Add Plugin", then under "remote receiver" choose "Generic HID." Now choose the Apple IR Receiver, and uncheck the box labeled "Trigger enduring events for buttons," and check the box under it, labeled "Use raw data as event name." Click OK, and now any button press of your Apple Remote should show up as events in the leftmost window. Just create the file tree shown in the pictures by adding the appropriate plugins, folders, macros, events, and actions. I named all the macros after the remote buttons they are emulating to make it easier for you/me, but it's not necessary.

Enjoy!
fromeout11 Wrote:OK, I've finally found a way to use an Apple Remote with XBMC, running on Windows 7 and Boot Camp 3.1.

Well, I tried this and unfortunately discovered that it triggers each button twice (ex: if I press the Up button, it triggers both Up and Up (Hold) ). The end result is I move up two spaces.

Any clues on how to make it read the button presses as different? Unfortunately, there is an action command along the line of "If long press", but that doesn't work because the remote seems to send out short bursts/events if one holds the button down.

I really want this to work so any help would be appreciated. It's almost there! It only needs to differentiate between long press and short press. Thanks!

Tim Huh

GAH! My God, I'm an idiot! There are two different commands that come up - just the numbers are slightly different. I couldn't tell. Thank you. It looks like it will work! You're a genius!
By the way, I made a few changes that I think make it work better.

Right Hold -> Start XMBC (moved disabling/enabling accordingly)
Left Hold -> Quit XMBC (moved disabling/enabling accordingly)
Select -> XMBC Select rather than Return
Select Hold -> XMBC Play
Menu -> XMBC Parent Dir
MenuHold -> XMBC Show OSD

The reason I did the changes were that the Left Hold and Right Hold weren't being used so it was logical to assign them. I don't often used them to navigate, so there is little chance of me accidentally activating it. (BTW, I used Wait 2 sec, Clear Pending Events)

With Select, Select Hold, Menu and Menu Hold, I found that your assignments could cause me to exit the fullscreen and have a directory. I didn't want that and wanted it to act more like Plex, wherein I have to actively exit the video.

Hope that makes sense. If you need, I can post images.

Again, thank you so much for this. I have been going crazy trying to figure it all out. I was going to have to switch back to Mac OS if I didn't figure this out (and I don't like it much). Lifesaver!!!

Tim
fromeout11 Wrote:1. First you need to adjust how the IR receiver is seen by the OS. This will disable the remote's ability to control the volume and iTunes, which is necessary for this procedure. Open up the Control Panel, and go to System-> Device Manager. From there, expand the "Human Interface Devices" box, and right click on the Apple IR Receiver. Go to Properties->Driver->Update Driver. From here, choose "Browse...", then "Let me choose..." Now, choose USB Input Device. You'll have to restart your computer to install this generic driver.

Anyone else have an issue with this section? I can install the USB Input Device driver for this, but there's an error on the device (Code 10). This makes it so that EventGhost cannot see the IR Receiver and I cannot proceed. Help?
Did any of you save the xml file, so i can have a copy?
yes there a way to use i with XBMC LIVE ?
hi all. i think this post is gonna change my life as Pojken Tim already said!!! i'm on mac using win 7 and i love my xbmc, and i was trying to figure out how to use the IR apple remote to use my media center.... i m gonna try to set it up on eventghost.. hope i'll achieve this task, cause i m not properly a programmer...

thank u, if i'll have problems i'll try to post here again,
thanks, tom
hi guys,
sorry for my ignorance, i m actually troubleshooting with the latest version of Eventghost, that includes a new XBMC plugin version very nice.

i tryied to build the tree similar to your, and for instance, if i try to execute an item (an action for switching on the XBMC) it happens successfully.

the problem is when i close eventghost. my apple remote appears not able to execute any command.

so, the problem is in the xml file? where i have to put it? how i have to rename it in order to be seen by XBMC and apple remote? or what else i m misunderstandingHuh

please, someone who answer me...

thanks everybody

tom

tom
Thanks for the guide!

When using XBMC and the Apple Remote on Mac OS X the setup for them MENU button is as follows:

For example when navigating the movie library:

Press MENU --> ParentDirectory
Hold MENU --> ContextMenu

How can i achieve this with EventGhost?

Sorry to bring up an older thread, but I've been trying to figure this out for the past 5 hours. I'm having the same issue as Fujii13. I'm quite tech savvy, but I can't seem to get it to work. When I try using the generic driver, the IR receiver doesn't work, and I get this error:

This device cannot be started (Error Code 10). I'm running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit on an A1181 White 13" Macbook.

I've searched all over the web and can't find a solution.

Thanks,
jm
Bootcamp should install drivers for the IR receiver.

JR
Thanks for your reply jhsrennie! That's the problem though... The default Bootcamp drivers filter out the up, down, and menu buttons. I'm trying to use the generic USB drivers, but, unfortunately, I get the error I mentioned before.

jm
Quote:In order to make this file, you'll first need to add the plugin you see near the top for the Apple IR Receiver. Go to "Add Plugin", then under "remote receiver" choose "Generic HID." Now choose the Apple IR Receiver, and uncheck the box labeled "Trigger enduring events for buttons," and check the box under it, labeled "Use raw data as event name." Click OK, and now any button press of your Apple Remote should show up as events in the leftmost window. Just create the file tree shown in the pictures by adding the appropriate plugins, folders, macros, events, and actions. I named all the macros after the remote buttons they are emulating to make it easier for you/me, but it's not necessary.

Enjoy!

Ok, I have all the events mapped and EventGhost can see all the AppleIR events. Problem is, once I launch XBMC, the remote doesn't work. Anything special I need to do to have XBMC "see" the IR data that EventGhost is passing through?
Pages: 1 2 3 4