Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Acer Revo R3610 ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hiya all,

I want to order the Acer Revo R3610 from here http://www.ebuyer.com/product/182588

The price is in my range and I don't care about its operating system as its going to be used purely as a Media Centre with XBMC. Before I make the purchase I have a couple of small questions. What's the best type or version of XBMC to use on the revo? Like I say I don't care about operating system and stuff as its going to be nothing other than a media centre. Also is it possible to use a remote control? as I don't fancy having wireless keyboard and mouse in the lounge. If a remote is possible what would you recommend? as I would like to order the revo and remote together.

Many many thanks.
I have a Revo 3610 with a Logitech Harmony remote, with an official MCE receiver. Running on windows with latest SVN. It all works beautifully although you do have to pick your skins carefully, some of the 'bigger' skins like Aeon can struggle but many others perform flawlessly.
I went for that unit with Windows 7 pro 32 bit. (Student) using Harmony remote and it works amazingly well. Using the builds from the syn it plays every file I have over wireless N which syncs at 108mbps with a Cisco usb dongle. Can't really hear it neither in my bedroom! Big Grin
Cheers guys, I have ordered the unit. Will probably get one those Harmony remote too but there £120 Sad cant stretch my funds that far just yet hehe. How does the harmony remote control the Revo? Guessing I need a IR receiver via USB. I know media centrer extenders have them but I can only find stuff that is bundled with a remote rather than just the receiver.
here too, have a Revo 3610 atom 330, 2go ram with an XBOX DVD IR dongle and Harmony remote works perfectly! ideal for IE, mkv 1080p internet radio, mp3 music, etc... on a LCD TV Smile
cheers
Just FYI, the 3610 runs XBMC Live extremely well. Skins that have performance issues under a standard Windows install do not suffer the same penalty under Linux.
rainking2020 Wrote:Cheers guys, I have ordered the unit. Will probably get one those Harmony remote too but there £120 Sad cant stretch my funds that far just yet hehe. How does the harmony remote control the Revo? Guessing I need a IR receiver via USB. I know media centrer extenders have them but I can only find stuff that is bundled with a remote rather than just the receiver.

The Harmony remote emulates a Microsoft remote, so you could just buy an MS remote. MS don't make them any more, but they're available on eBay and there are some MS compatible remotes like the HP. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Control_Reviews for some remotes tested with XBMC.

JR
Even my 1600 runs XBMC pretty flawlessly.. Just pick up a cheap MCE remote, and keep the IR Receiver when you upgrade to the Logitech.
I have the logitech harmony one with my mac mini downstairs but have a much cheeper harmony remote being used with the Acer 3610 (harmony 525 or something) and it works just as well, I bought that for about £40 - I have it set to act as a few different Keyboards so I can send ALT+F4 etc to close XBMC on one button etc.
I bought the exact same Revo from ebuyer a few weeks ago, saved a few quid by going for the Linux version as I only wanted it for XBMC and being able the browse from my sofa in lounge. Originally installed Linux Mint over Linpus but soon went over to Ubuntu and now run 64-bit Lucid 10.04 which I'm more than happy with.
Until a few days I was running the last working SVN build from the PPA coupled with a PS3 Bluetooth remote. Ubuntu boots up in 20 seconds or so and I can load up XBMC by pressing the 'PS' on the remote - couldn't really ask for more.

Audio was a bit more tricky, in my setup I wanted stereo out via HDMI to my TV and pass-thru via optical to my Onkyo and be able to switch - it's working but needs some tweaking and I'm going to wait for the 10.05 release before I spend any more time tinkering!!
Well my Revo arrived yesterday and is now all setup and installed with Ubunto Live install for XBMC and its working fine. Got a sound issue myself. When I play any video file encoded in 5.1 his get a white noise kind of sound from the tv. If I play a mp3 or any file in stereo its completely fine.

All my TV shows went on flawlessly using media companion also my meagre film collection, all my films are still on DVD Sad

I have a PS3 remote here it's doing nothing as my PS3 is fried, would I only need a bluetooth usb dongle? Just looking for a cheap option until I can get the Harmony remote. Also what would you guys recommend I start using to rip my DVD's to harddisk so they can be added to my library? I dot mind paying for a program as long as it's reasonably priced

Many Thanks
rainking2020 Wrote:Well my Revo arrived yesterday and is now all setup and installed with Ubunto Live install for XBMC and its working fine. Got a sound issue myself. When I play any video file encoded in 5.1 his get a white noise kind of sound from the tv. If I play a mp3 or any file in stereo its completely fine.

All my TV shows went on flawlessly using media companion also my meagre film collection, all my films are still on DVD Sad

I have a PS3 remote here it's doing nothing as my PS3 is fried, would I only need a bluetooth usb dongle? Just looking for a cheap option until I can get the Harmony remote. Also what would you guys recommend I start using to rip my DVD's to harddisk so they can be added to my library? I dot mind paying for a program as long as it's reasonably priced

Many Thanks

Use MakeMKV if large files do not scare you. Use Handbrake if they do. Both are free (MakeMKV for now, maybe pay later).

I paid $19 for the MCE remote and IR Receiver on Amazon and it worked out of the box. You would be hard pressed to find a bluetooth dongle for much less.
apotropaic Wrote:Audio was a bit more tricky, in my setup I wanted stereo out via HDMI to my TV and pass-thru via optical to my Onkyo and be able to switch - it's working but needs some tweaking and I'm going to wait for the 10.05 release before I spend any more time tinkering!!

i have the exact same issue with no sound though HDMI or optical, how did you get it going albeit temporary? Sad
GJones Wrote:I paid $19 for the MCE remote and IR Receiver on Amazon and it worked out of the box. You would be hard pressed to find a bluetooth dongle for much less.

Seconded. Well, to be fair, you can get very cheap Bluetooth dongles, but if you buy an official MS remote or full compatible then not only will it work out of the box but when you get a Harmony it just needs configuring to emulate the MS remote.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Seconded. Well, to be fair, you can get very cheap Bluetooth dongles, but if you buy an official MS remote or full compatible then not only will it work out of the box but when you get a Harmony it just needs configuring to emulate the MS remote.

JR

Ding Ding Ding. My thinking too.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8