Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New forum software?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
it looks like the xbmc forums is running Vbulletin .. Not open source.

Has the site admin considered using something open source like phpbb or even better, vanilla forums?
Ofcourse - it's simply a matter of time to ensure the other options do all we want them to and then time to transfer things over.

Both are being considered.

Cheers,
Jonathan
jmarshall Wrote:Ofcourse - it's simply a matter of time to ensure the other options do all we want them to and then time to transfer things over.

Both are being considered.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I'm glad other forum software is being looked at, I hate to be blunt but xbmc forums kinda suck haha Shocked You devs must have a million other things to do before redoing the forums but I'll look forward to the day we change.

M.
Marvel Wrote:I'm glad other forum software is being looked at, I hate to be blunt but xbmc forums kinda suck haha Shocked You devs must have a million other things to do before redoing the forums but I'll look forward to the day we change.

M.

Maybe if you let us know what sucks, we can take this into consideration when we look at alternatives ?
pike Wrote:Maybe if you let us know what sucks, we can take this into consideration when we look at alternatives ?

Exactly.

Forum is on my list of to-do's with xbmc.org. But a few other things before it.

TheUni
Right let's see if I can do some constructive criticism Laugh . For me it's all a bit busy i.e too much info and its all a bit uneasy on the eye. For instance on the XBMC Community Forum page where all the different sections are listed, I don't think you need all the info under each Title cos the title says what you need to know really. And also the colours could be better imo like I mentioned before it seems to hurt your eyes when you spend any length of time reading.

Here's a forum I like : ***----Removed---*** . Its modern and stylish looking, not too much info going on and the colours are good.

I don't know if you guys would ever change the xbmc logo, but maybe you could run a competition and see what some of the talented artists on here can come up with. I just don't think it's stylish enough to go with this awesome software.

Well I hope you lads find that a little bit helpful, after all it's just my personal opinion.

M. Big Grin
removed the link to that forum, you think you could find one example that has more family friendly content?

Cheers,
Zeljko
To be quite honest i find the current xbmc forum one of the best iv used, if not THE best. i now use the xbmc4xbox forum as well, but find its definitely lacking something (Carbon theme maybe)

Marvel - try switching to the "polished carbon theme" at the bottom of the page. its a lot easier on the eyes.

I guess its just what your used to. Iv been using this forum for years and to be honest don't really use any other forums apart from xbmc4xbox.

Please don't change the software, it just means everyones got to get used to a new layout/format when theres absolutely nothing wrong with what we have. (its served us well until now and xbmc has done nothing other than benefit from it)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it
Marvel Wrote:Right let's see if I can do some constructive criticism Laugh . For me it's all a bit busy i.e too much info and its all a bit uneasy on the eye. For instance on the XBMC Community Forum page where all the different sections are listed, I don't think you need all the info under each Title cos the title says what you need to know really. And also the colours could be better imo like I mentioned before it seems to hurt your eyes when you spend any length of time reading.

Here's a forum I like : ***----Removed---*** . Its modern and stylish looking, not too much info going on and the colours are good.

I don't know if you guys would ever change the xbmc logo, but maybe you could run a competition and see what some of the talented artists on here can come up with. I just don't think it's stylish enough to go with this awesome software.

Well I hope you lads find that a little bit helpful, after all it's just my personal opinion.

M. Big Grin

What do you like about that forum? It is using the same software and using the same layout. The only thing different is the theme, which personally i find more "busy" than the current default theme here. If you dont like the default theme, there are a few to chose from....
Amet Wrote:removed the link to that forum, you think you could find one example that has more family friendly content?

Cheers,
Zeljko

Yeh sorry about that Blush

rudeboyx Wrote:To be quite honest i find the current xbmc forum one of the best iv used, if not THE best. i now use the xbmc4xbox forum as well, but find its definitely lacking something (Carbon theme maybe)

Marvel - try switching to the "polished carbon theme" at the bottom of the page. its a lot easier on the eyes.

I guess its just what your used to. Iv been using this forum for years and to be honest don't really use any other forums apart from xbmc4xbox.

Please don't change the software, it just means everyones got to get used to a new layout/format when theres absolutely nothing wrong with what we have. (its served us well until now and xbmc has done nothing other than benefit from it)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Yeh it's not the software, I suppose it's just the themes I don't like. Maybe we could get more added ? Do they cost money tho because vbullet isn't open source ?

prae5 Wrote:What do you like about that forum? It is using the same software and using the same layout. The only thing different is the theme, which personally i find more "busy" than the current default theme here. If you dont like the default theme, there are a few to chose from....

I just like it, it's more of a modern stylish theme. This is all personal preference I suppose, I just felt the default layout is a bit old fashioned looking. Right I'm going to shut up now about the subject before people start getting annoyed at my opinions hahah.....

Toodles M.

P.s I wish there was a quick link to find the posts made by you
Marvel Wrote:P.s I wish there was a quick link to find the post made by you

click on your name (here in the thread) -> "Find more posts by Marvel" , that not fast enough or am I not understanding what you mean? Smile
Amet Wrote:click on your name (here in the thread) -> "Find more posts by Marvel" , that not fast enough or am I not understanding what you mean? Smile

I mean when you first log-in, I go to my name > then statistics > Find all posts.
I just wondered if there was an easier way around like add it to quick links? Big Grin
I personally think the layout, function and color theme of the forum is one of the better ones I've used. My hope, if it is decided to use another forum software, is that the replacement is as usable as the current forum setup is.
pike Wrote:Maybe if you let us know what sucks, we can take this into consideration when we look at alternatives ?

Better support for mobile devices. It's almost impossible to use it on a phone.
pecinko Wrote:Better support for mobile devices. It's almost impossible to use it on a phone.

Actually, completely agree with this one. That is one thing I'd change/like to see added with the forums.
Pages: 1 2 3