Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AppleTV2] All videos stream slow on ATV2?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I know that there is problems with 1080p and also someone has a thread that .avi files are choppy, but all of my videos are streaming very choppy on the ATV2.

Well, except for one 15mb file that is a recording from my iPhone.

I am very new to XBMC, so it could be a setting that i have mixed up. I am trying to stream from an external HD on my iMac and an internal HD on my MacBook Pro. I'm using airport extreme for networking.

Thanks so much in advanced.

Brien
Could you please provide more information about those videos? Also, check the sticky threads with information about known issues.
I have read the sticky threads.

I have tried 1080p, 720P and 480p. mkv and mp4's. I have tried AVI files and WMV files. No matter if they are 1080p or dvd quality it stutters.

I didn't know if there is any settings i need to do to my router to maybe make it stream faster I have Peerguardian but i have all the filters turned off.

I have two older mac's both 2-3 years old but they do run snow leopard fine.

I was just wondering if mine could be fixed with settings or maybe i have to wait for an update?
I can only tell you what i did, switched to a WIRED connection first, which only made it a little bit better, i then changed the skin to PM3.HD... now everything plays properly even 720p mkvs...
I will give that a try and get back to you.

Thanks
What router do you have and have you ever had problem streaming with it before?

A lot of bottle necking actually occurs at the router in some cases Sad
I have the airport extreme.

I tried installing the PM3.HD skin but XBMC is still stuttering. Some files are playing better.

I am also using a wired connection.

It seems as if the file is over 1.5 gigs that it has a problem playing them.

I have even tried rebooting my ATV2. Should i look at uninstalling it and reinstalling it next? I've also done a killall appletv.

I'm wondering if it has more to do with my network more than a setting.
actually seems to be stuttering if anything is "HD" a HD episode of The Office (558 mb) did not play smoothly, but a the moving 127 hours (1.27 gb) did not have a problem playing

The Office episode is a MKV file and 127 hours is an AVI file.
Do you have the option Sync playback to display in Settings and Playback enabled? if so disable that and try again
I didn't have that option Sync playback to display enabled, but i did change a TON of options back and forth and now all videos are streaming fine. EVEN 1080p!!

Thank y'all for all the help!

Brien
What I found is initially, while ATV is scraping your files and you try to play a video then...you will get the slowness and stutter. Once the entire library has been scrape, I guess ATV has the full processor at it's disposal. Not sure if that was what happened in your case or not.
brienmizell Wrote:I didn't have that option Sync playback to display enabled, but i did change a TON of options back and forth and now all videos are streaming fine. EVEN 1080p!!

Thank y'all for all the help!

Brien

What settings did you change that ultimately worked for you?
Is there anyway to setup a crontab job on the ATV2 that will do a scan of my contents everyday at like 4am?
al3x1980 Wrote:Is there anyway to setup a crontab job on the ATV2 that will do a scan of my contents everyday at like 4am?

ATV2 does not use cron, it uses launchd just like osx. google around for 'launchd jobs' and you should find something you can adapt.
Thanks, Also it seems ATV2 stutters even when I am using wired. It is not scraping in the background not sure what else I can to make it better. this is with none MKV. Just with avi files.
Pages: 1 2 3