Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xbox 360 running XBMC (XBMC for Xbox360?) port possible someday?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Looks like there's gonna be an better exploit released soon according to xbox-scene. cool. although why bother when you're probably better off now with a ion machine. unless you get a real customized linux-ppc-xbmc going with hardware video acceleration, sound, and what ever else is missing.
Robgue Wrote:Looks like there's gonna be an better exploit released soon according to xbox-scene. cool. although why bother when you're probably better off now with a ion machine. unless you get a real customized linux-ppc-xbmc going with hardware video acceleration, sound, and what ever else is missing.

I saw that. I've actually been avoiding updating my dash in order to hopefully keep the system open to said exploit.

If that's the case, then hopefully it'll make the machine that much more accessible to developers. A one-shot-hits-all install of linux requiring no modchip or fw downgrade...well, damn.

And yes, the ion machine is a great piece of hardware. But the fact of the matter is, I've got a 360 already, while I honestly don't even have the cash to buy me a nice ion setup. So to me, the concept is still quite appealing.
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=690029

shit are people excited about that hack or what!.. 19 pages in that thread and god theres one hell of a bitch fight happening in the middle of it.. still not sure if the hacks being released or not.. some hackz0r groups have got pissed because the information was released to the public, and now dont want to release the hack.. yep thats awesome..
Laugh

look at this post (dated yesterday) i found on an xbox360 hardware forum:

Quote:Free60 (www.free60.org) is a project that aims to enable Xbox 360 users to run homebrew applications and operating systems like Linux on their consoles. The effort is headed by Felix Domke and Michael Steil, who have a background in dbox2, Xbox and GameCube hacking, and who have spoken at various conferences about their findings. Two years ago, Free60 released a hack that allowed arbitrary code execution using a game ("King Kong Hack") as well as an adapted version of Linux, but this possibility has been disabled by Microsoft in subsequent updates of the Xbox 360 software.

On Tuesday, Microsoft has released an Xbox 360 software update that overwrites the first stage bootloader of the system. Although there have been numerous software updates for Microsoft's gaming console in the past, this is the first one to overwrite the vital boot block. Any failure while updating this will break the Xbox 360 beyond repair. Statistics from other systems have shown that about one in a thousand bootloader updates goes wrong, and unless Microsoft has a novel solution to this problem, this puts tens of thousands of Xboxes at risk.

It seems that this update is being done to fix a vulnerability already known to the Free60 Project. This vulnerability has been successfully exploited to run arbitrary code, and a complete end user compatible hack has been in development for some time and is planned to be released on free60.org shortly. It will allow users to take back control of their Xboxes and run arbitrary code like homebrew applications or Linux right after turning on the console and without the need of a modchip, finally opening up the Xbox 360 to a level of hacking as the original Xbox.

Because of the dangerousness of the update and the homebrew lockout, the Free60 Project advises all Xbox 360 users to not update their systems to the latest software version. The Project website at http://free60.org/ will provide the latest information on this ongoing topic, including the final hack software.
so for all you xbox360 users out there that might want to have a chance to run linux (and so xbmc) on the 360: DON'T do the august 09 update (triggered yesterday i guess) and stay tuned at free60.org..

more info on the possibilities this hack seems to offer:

Quote:- We can boot own code in HV context ~5s after boot, before any video output, right after the kernel runs.
- we need to reflash the flash, and add 3 resistors for the JTAG (no modchip required! but you might want a dual-nand modchip),
- 8498 kills this by updating the bootloader - it blacklists 4532/4548. it also does hw init stuff which might interefere with the jtag hack, we don't know yet.
- we have a proof of concept hack, we will release it SOON (a matter of hours/days, not more - promised.).
- DON'T UPDATE to summer 09. Did i already say this?
- you don't need to know your cpu key. You can update to all BUT summer '09. you don't need a dvdrom.
- It works on all xenon, zephyr, falcon, opus, jasper. Unless you have updated to 849x. Then you're screwed.
Hmmm - I can hear the devs keys jangerling as they get the locking bunch out Big Grin

Been discussed a gazzzzzillion times and the usual outcome is "no" and "code welcome"

I doubt your'll be running XBMC on a 360 before it takes its place in console history....
Geeba Wrote:Hmmm - I can hear the devs keys jangerling as the get the locking bunch out Big Grin

Been discussed a gazzzzzillion times and the usual outcome is "no" and "code welcome"

I doubt your'll be running XBMC on a 360 before it takes its place in console history....

there's nothing to prevent us from running xbmc on xbox360 once a full-featured linux can be installed, since the hardware is already more of a pc than an "ordinary console".
uhrr. rite. you have the drivers written then? you know, these little trivial parts of code that makes the hardware work
spiff Wrote:uhrr. rite. you have the drivers written then? you know, these little trivial parts of code that makes the hardware work

mr. grumpy again Laugh yeah, i know.. but chances are the hardware inside an xbox360 is not that special or exotic or specially designed to work as a console. in fact, to me it seems that's quite the same stuff you'll find in a typical pc. at least that's what my guess is when reading tech specs.

of course i can be wrong here, sure. in that case we might remove "soon" - but i'm sure there are freaks out there getting a full featured linux running which is able to detect and run all hardware in this nifty little machine in the end - once it can be booted.

i'm not that euphoric on this topic anyway, since imho the xbox 360 still is noisy as hell compared to my pc - just wanted to tell ya'll the latest ongoing.
azido Wrote:mr. grumpy again Laugh yeah, i know.. but chances are the hardware inside an xbox360 is not that special or exotic or specially designed to work as a console. in fact, to me it seems that's quite the same stuff you'll find in a typical pc. at least that's what my guess is when reading tech specs.

of course i can be wrong here, sure.

It seems as you haven't read much about the hardware in the xbox360 and just assume that it has the same type of run of the mill components like the first xbox.
Yep its a long way from the first Xbox - which was like a PC - which in turn got hacked to buggery!! hence uncle Bill and M$ didnt make the same mistake twice Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_hardware
watzen Wrote:I seems as you haven't read much about the hardware in the xbox360 and just assume that it has the same type of run of the mill components like the first xbox.

nope, i know they didn't follow their initial way like on standard xbox.

but, see here:

Quote:Status

• Run Code: You can run your own code on Xbox 360 systems with kernel versions 4532 and 4548. If you own a box manufactured before 2007, upgrade to one of these versions, but to no later one. A new hack is in development which works on all consoles not yet updated to the 849x update (Summer 09). This hack will be released soon.
  • Linux Bootloader: A preliminary second-stage boot loader exists.
  • Linux Kernel: Patches for the Linux kernel to support a large part of the Xbox 360 hardware exist. As long as you're waiting for a convenient way to boot, you can set up your cross compiler environment.
  • Linux Distributions: Several LiveCD variants and installation howtos for Debian-etch, Ubuntu7.04 and Ubuntu7.10 are available.

i'm unsure what " support a large part of the Xbox 360 hardware" actually includes, though.
last time i checked neither audio nor video (granted a while ago)
spiff Wrote:last time i checked neither audio nor video (granted a while ago)

got ya. let's see what comes up once the promised hack is released and confirmed working. as i digged deeper on that free60 page, all other info regarding linux on the 360 still refers to the 2007 findings. if that's still the "top of possibilities" we will have to wait for a loooooongt time for sure.

mind changing topic? remove "soon" and add "might become" Wink last time i tried changing, it only worked for my 1st post, but not in thread view.
Last time I checked XBMC does not run on the PPC architecture(vs. X86 by Intel[original XBOX]). I know it's being ported but it take a while for that to be completed and they cannot even start to consider porting it to the XBOX 360 until then..... But O man I am excited for this hack.

*Going out to buy five XBOX 360*
most stuff works just fine on ppc - we do build for ppc-osx after all
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23