Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Netflix and XBMC out of US in Apple TV 2g
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Is there any way or trick I can use to play netflix and xbmc movies outside US? I am using an Apple TV 2g and it works great with the jailbreak and xbmc but I can´t see a lot of channels, because it tell me I am out US.
Thank you. Sad
You need a VPN, but that's not possible on ATV2 atm.
vmgp Wrote:Is there any way or trick I can use to play netflix and xbmc movies outside US? I am using an Apple TV 2g and it works great with the jailbreak and xbmc but I can´t see a lot of channels, because it tell me I am out US.
Thank you. Sad

Currently I use second router with DD-WRT that establishes VPN connection to USA.
I just specify the gateway of ATV2 to be that router, and then all packets go thru VPN tunnel.
piranha Wrote:Currently I use second router with DD-WRT that establishes VPN connection to USA.
I just specify the gateway of ATV2 to be that router, and then all packets go thru VPN tunnel.

Thank you very much

Is a normal router? like Link Sys router?
Do you know were can I see the steps to configure the network?
I used Buffallo router, which has DD-WRT preinstalled, but I guess any that can be flashed with DD-WRT would work.
I use OverPlay as VPN provider and they have good instructions and support (in case of troubles):

https://www.overplay.net/blog/using-a-dd...h-overplay
piranha Wrote:I used Buffallo router, which has DD-WRT preinstalled, but I guess any that can be flashed with DD-WRT would work.
I use OverPlay as VPN provider and they have good instructions and support (in case of troubles):

https://www.overplay.net/blog/using-a-dd...h-overplay

Thanks this will help me alot.Nod
Hi
I connect my apple tv 2g to the internet through a bridge in my laptop and it works great but when I start my VPN on my laptop to use netflix the apple tv stops receiving bytes it is connected but it doesn't open nothing.

Any ideas?
Just in case you haven't found it already, check compatability of your router with DD-WRT here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
Thank you

But I´m trying to use my laptop with a bridge instead of buy the router (that would be 2 step).
Is there a problem on my configuration that when I turn on the VPN on my laptop the atv stops receiving bytes and on the laptop the connection status looks just normal as the VPN was turned of. Confused
vmgp Wrote:Thank you

But I´m trying to use my laptop with a bridge instead of buy the router (that would be 2 step).
Is there a problem on my configuration that when I turn on the VPN on my laptop the atv stops receiving bytes and on the laptop the connection status looks just normal as the VPN was turned of. Confused

I've been trying to get this working for me for ages. From what I've found out, if you are using a Mac as your laptop, Mac's won't allow you to share a VPN connection through internet sharing - I think Windows computers will allow you to share a VPN connection.

If anyone else out there has a solution to this without having to buy a new router or a way to circumvent the Mac refusal to share a VPN connection I would also love to hear.
I´m using win vista and it looks like the vpn connection doesn´t go to the atv because the laptop gets the new connection by the vpn but the apple tv just lose the download power when the vpn connection is on.
kealan Wrote:I've been trying to get this working for me for ages. From what I've found out, if you are using a Mac as your laptop, Mac's won't allow you to share a VPN connection through internet sharing - I think Windows computers will allow you to share a VPN connection.

If anyone else out there has a solution to this without having to buy a new router or a way to circumvent the Mac refusal to share a VPN connection I would also love to hear.

It looks like the only way to do this is by a DD-WRT router so I think, I will buy one, because the bridge idea doesn't work and no one knows how to do it.

We need a VPN software to be installed at the apple tv just like the one iphone has.Nod
vmgp Wrote:It looks like the only way to do this is by a DD-WRT router so I think, I will buy one, because the bridge idea doesn't work and no one knows how to do it.

We need a VPN software to be installed at the apple tv just like the one iphone has.Nod

Exactly. A VPN option on the ATV2 would be ideal so it would be easy to turn on and off. Anyone out there know of anyone working on such a thing?
It shouldn't be too difficult to get OpenVPN on to the ATV2 to be honest. Will try to get a look when I get chance.
motd2k Wrote:It shouldn't be too difficult to get OpenVPN on to the ATV2 to be honest. Will try to get a look when I get chance.

This would be great..... Big Grin

A lot of people will use this and will be very pleased.

I have just try to make my laptop a hot spot with ad-hoc connection but it didn't work, this make me think that the only way to make this work is with a DD-WRT router.
Pages: 1 2 3