Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: User Download Folders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I download something from an ad-don the content is downloaded to default directories in the hidden .xbmc folder and difficult to find.

Have a user-definable option to have xbmc download to folders in the /home/user/<folder> directories to make it easy for users to find the content they downloaded.

For instance: Navi-X downloads content to .xbmc/addons/Navi-X/downloads which is counter-intuitive.

It would be better to have all downloads go to /home/user/Videos
That's up to the addon. XBMC does not have any control over where an addon decides to download files (of a user-nature) to.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Oh well, just an idea. It's hard to explain file structure to non technical people. I guess I will just have to try to set up some paths in the file manager so the end user can find their content and hope they don't install any add ons that allow downloading.
We could add a special://downloads though which could be set in settings (and could default to /home/foo/Downloads on linux etc.), although as jmarshall say, we still have no control on where it chooses to store it so it would depend on the addon adhering to the standard we give them. Not sure how useful it would be though?

Is it really that many addons which allows downloads? I guess it would depend quite a bit on the content aswell, and having setup for folder for picture, music, videos and files seems a bit over the top. I guess the addon could ask if you want to store it in the generic or a custom.
I'll have to see how many addons actually download content. If it's few, then I can just add some standard sources for the user so they can easily get to them.

Not knowing anything about development I thought it would be fairly trivial to have a setting that asks the user where they want to download their file.
It is fairly trivial - the addon writers can do that no problem.

The question is whether XBMC should hold the setting, or whether it makes more sense for the addon to have it (given that the majority of addons don't download content).

Cheers,
Jonathan
jmarshall Wrote:It is fairly trivial - the addon writers can do that no problem.

The question is whether XBMC should hold the setting, or whether it makes more sense for the addon to have it (given that the majority of addons don't download content).

Cheers,
Jonathan

Personally I'd say if there is a significant number of addons allowing it it makes sense to be consistent. Are there any other folders we want to change because if we have that perhaps splitting it to a seperate setting tabb would ease in the thought of adding yet another setting (the download path).?

I guess screenshots is one, is there any other?
I think some trailer plugins provide the possibility to save the viewed trailers as well.
Ok, I just went through all my add-ons. You're right; very few allow downloading. Even Revision3 and CNET Podcasts don't offer downloads.

I've pretty much got my first box built. Had to use XP on this one because of driver issues. I'll set up the file manager and bookmarks to add-ons that do allow downloads and see what kind of reception I get from users.

Thanks for thinking about my idea. As a lowly computer tech, I have to find ways to reduce the support calls I get.