Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) (/showthread.php?tid=44019)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

- SwedishGojira - 2009-02-04

spozen Wrote:Are you familiar with the linux terminal? If so you should look into ssh.

No' I'm not that familiar with the terminal. I'm still learning.
I'm used to DOS and windows systems and that's why I'd like an easier way to handle the files.

- spozen - 2009-02-04

Well i guess samba is the way for you to go. And since you are from Sweden this tutorial should be easy to understand:

http://ubuntu-se.org/Wiki/Samba

- legoburner - 2009-02-04

One glitch that I experienced following this guide was that plugins and scripts were not working properly. A little investigation showed that at no point is zip ever installed (apt-get install zip) which is a requirement for building the python library correctly during the make step. Once I installed zip and rebuilt the project the scripts worked perfectly, so assuming I did not make some illogical error occur, perhaps zip should be added to the initial apt-get install command?

Thanks for the great guide, made things very simple!

- olympia - 2009-02-04

legoburner Wrote:One glitch that I experienced following this guide was that plugins and scripts were not working properly. A little investigation showed that at no point is zip ever installed (apt-get install zip) which is a requirement for building the python library correctly during the make step. Once I installed zip and rebuilt the project the scripts worked perfectly, so assuming I did not make some illogical error occur, perhaps zip should be added to the initial apt-get install command?

Thanks for the great guide, made things very simple!

If this is the case, the README.Linux in SVN should be updated as well.
Could you please give an example script which is not working?

Thank you for the feedback!

- danode - 2009-02-04

anyone else got a problem w/ audio synch in 24hz? i have A/V synch in 50 and 60hz, but 24fps material gets out of sync up to two secs, when all of a sudden the video gets superfast and gets to sync, for some seconds bfore starting to get out of sync again.

i use coaxial digital audio.

- legoburner - 2009-02-04

olympia Wrote:If this is the case, the README.Linux in SVN should be updated as well.
Could you please give an example script which is not working?

Thank you for the feedback!

Apologies, I am not going to get a chance to rebuild it for some time, and to replicate the circumstances exactly I'd need to do a full reinstall. The error occurred at the point in the build where python is compiled, and it died with 'zip: command not found'.

- bogey - 2009-02-04

I have problems with automatic refreshrate changes.
I'm using GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H which has integrated NVIDIA 9400, so I have
added this in xorg.conf in Screen section.
Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"

When xbmc tries to change screen refreshrate to 48Hz on 24P material, I see this in xbmc output:

/usr/local/share/xbmc/xbmc-xrandr: cannot find mode 0x10e

If I check with ubuntu xrandr, screen is still at 50Hz

Mode changes using ID with xbmc-xrandr does not work, but works with ubuntu binary xrandr.

xbmc-xrandr
# /usr/local/share/xbmc/xbmc-xrandr --output default --mode 0x10e
/usr/local/share/xbmc/xbmc-xrandr: cannot find mode 0x10e

Using ubuntu binary, mode change works:

# xrandr --output default --mode 0x10e

I think is ubuntu specific, see my other post:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=44871

Has anyone built xbmc-xrandr built ok with ubuntu 8.10 x86_64, so that mode changes using ID works?

I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 x86_64 2.6.27-11-generic with all updates installed.
XBMC revision is 17558
Nvidia driver 180.27

- olympia - 2009-02-04

bogey Wrote:I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 x86_64 2.6.27-11-generic with all updates installed

I'd say, using 64bit is strongly offtopic here, as your system is obviously not based on the platform, which is in the guide.

Anyway, have you tried it with custom modelines?

- bogey - 2009-02-04

olympia Wrote:I'd say, using 64bit is strongly offtopic here, as your system is obviously not based on the platform, which is in the guide.

Anyway, have you tried it with custom modelines?
Other than for mode changes, this guide works also for 64-bit.

My monitor EDID has only 60Hz modes, so yes I have custom modelines for 24p (47.95Hz) and 50Hz.

Xbmc-xrandr fetches mode IDConfused for those fine and tries to use them.
<mode id="0x10d" name="1680x1050" w="1680" h="1050" hz="50.00000" current="true" preferred="false"/>
<mode id="0x10e" name="1680x1050" w="1680" h="1050" hz="48.00000" current="false" preferred="false"/>

Though I have same problem also with my TV when using edid modes.

But, ubuntu binary xrandr works fine, so the problem is somewhere when building the xrandr from source. I have tested build xrandr also from ubuntu source package x11-xserver-utils_7.3+5, and it has the same problem.
See my other post for that. Maybe I should post this to ubuntu forums.

I'm just interested if someone else has this same problem with ubuntu 8.10 x86_64.

SVN specific revision - vajonam - 2009-02-04

Is there are recommended SVN revision for use in the svn checkout? the reason I ask is that coming up to 9.04 i am sure there are going to be some unstable features.

I think the guide should recommend a version that works with intrepid and has all the necessary checkins for example the cputtempcommand etc are post 8.04 as is the refresh rate adjustment based on the content.

any ideas anyone? what revision has worked well for you?

- danillll - 2009-02-04

As usual, kudos to OLYMPIA and every contributor. My new htpc parts will arrive tomorrow and can't wait to start contributing to this community.

OLYMPIA, quick question. I saw your other guide about installing the xbmc live version http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42863
as you have tested both, the current Intrepid solution and the live xbmc solution, which one do you recommend? any pros and cons for one install against the other? performance, picture quality, ease of driver install, etc...

Thanks.

- olympia - 2009-02-04

danillll Wrote:as you have tested both, the current Intrepid solution and the live xbmc solution, which one do you recommend? any pros and cons for one install against the other? performance, picture quality, ease of driver install, etc...

If you don't mind I won't create a long detailed verdict here (Live is so great, Luigi did a fantastique job with it). My "productive" system is still Live based (as I am still strugling with drive issues). The only reason why I am going for Intrepid, is the better support of my motherboard and obviously there is more chance to for customization.

getting this to work with nVidia CK804 AC'97 (Realtec chip) - toelicker - 2009-02-05

Very good howto, thanks!

A note regardning the sound configuration when using the CK804 AC'97 (Realtec chip on the ABIT AN8-sli MB). I didn't get surround sound to work with your settings.

After skipping the setting in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and setting the devices in XBMC to use "digital" and the others to "default" I got it to work fine.

When running movies in 720p or 1080p i get some wierd speed increases occuring that is annoying to say the least.
It's like if someone keeps activating "fast forward" for shorter periods...it's like the move "bursts"..

The sound seems to work fine, no disturbances etc.
CPU load is ranging from 80-180% (dual cores using somewhat even load).
It doesn't matter if the load is high or low, the problem persists.

Tried removing powernowd but that didn't have any impact.
No differences when running movies locally or via network shares.

Rig:AMD 4600 dualcore 2,4Ghz, Abit AN8-SLI MB, 2GB RAM, nVidia 7800GTX with DVI/HDMI cable to fullHD LDC, latest bios, USB mouse instead of remote).

Running VLC or SMplayer under Windows is working ok (well, full HD material can sometimes stumble) with this PC.
(Will try to install the full version of Intrepid aswell to see it the problem occures then aswell)

Any ideas, would really love to run XBMC this way..?

//Toe

- Dragm@ - 2009-02-05

Hello everybody Smile,
good media center software. I tried all kind of software, but I think this is one of the best Smile.

I make like reported in this wiki, but I have this problem too:
spozen Wrote:Awesome XBMC is up and running!
But i have some minor problems:

When i boot up there is a blue window: "There seems to be another X running on this display to you want GDM to run on another display or do you want to try again"
[...]

If a click Yes then xbmc is ok, how can I solve this problem?

Sorry for my bad english Sad, thank in advance Smile.

Dragm@

- olympia - 2009-02-05

Dragm@ Wrote:Hello everybody Smile,
good media center software. I tried all kind of software, but I think this is one of the best Smile.

I make like reported in this wiki, but I have this problem too:

If a click Yes then xbmc is ok, how can I solve this problem?

Sorry for my bad english Sad, thank in advance Smile.

Dragm@

You definitely not followed the wiki, as you have most probably installed the full version of Ubuntu.

If you were that smart to find the above post, why did you not read a little bit further on the answers? NoAngry