Kodi Community Forum
New Movie (and TV!) view: Multiplex - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: New Movie (and TV!) view: Multiplex (/showthread.php?tid=49559)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

- babyface - 2009-04-26

There are decent series icons on tv.yahoo.com that can be cropped to 16:9. Not an ideal solution, but the banners on yahoo are a *little* bit narrower than the tvdb ones (and are slicker looking imho), which helps for making 16:9 versions. You have to crop down to 210x374. Obviously, not a great solution if you have a lot of tv series, but getting the job done for me for the time being.

- djh_ - 2009-04-26

Cheers for the heads-up. I've fixed it.

- Hidd3nFury - 2009-04-26

sialivi Wrote:djh_,
The font download link in the Download / Changelog thread still points to the old font archive

Thats why it says to go to the aeon website.

- Hidd3nFury - 2009-04-26

babyface Wrote:There are decent series icons on tv.yahoo.com that can be cropped to 16:9. Not an ideal solution, but the banners on yahoo are a *little* bit narrower than the tvdb ones (and are slicker looking imho), which helps for making 16:9 versions. You have to crop down to 210x374. Obviously, not a great solution if you have a lot of tv series, but getting the job done for me for the time being.

Good call. I didn't think to look there.

- babyface - 2009-04-26

djh_ Wrote:Season
labels are added by XBMC; the seasons thumbs need only feature textless
artwork.

Why not do this for series thumbs as well? At least an option maybe for people who have already mentioned they don't want to add another new image type to their library.

- iBeech - 2009-04-26

The original fonts worked for me... Whats different in the new fonts?

- jonm42 - 2009-04-26

sialivi Wrote:djh_,
The font download link in the Download / Changelog thread still points to the old font archive

As of right now there's a zip date stamped 260409...

- djh_ - 2009-04-26

Doraemonn Wrote:I wasn't referring to tones as such, just at the fact that what was previously the only skin to truly make Fanart shine seems now to be heading in a mediastream-like direction of occluding it whenever possible.

Frankly, if some dynamic info could be brought back to Showcase/Flow, that'd be my ideal view. As it is I use Showcase and Wall for movies, List for TV, and it works great - the only pain is having to bring up the info screen manually, but whatever.

Well, I'm not sure I get the 'occluding whenever possible' bit. Multiplex merely replaces the Panel view that was even more opaque, and has options for removing the info pane to make it even slimmer than Showcase. List view has ditched the panel which again makes it more fanart-friendly, and Showcase remains unchanged. I certainly don't think any of the recent additions/changes have compromised Aeon's objective.

If it's the darker tone you're worried about, I can assure you that everything's going to stay as it is besides one minor change, which is the recent darkening of the fullscreen info panel. Again, that change actually makes both the text and fanart more visible than before, so the only compromise is if you specifically liked the lighter grey it used before. I still need to tweak that page to even out the colour scheme a bit, though.

- mistenkt - 2009-04-26

in what files are all the settings for the skin stored? Would be nice if i could just upgrade the skin and not having to set all the background n stuff every time : )

- Doraemonn - 2009-04-26

djh_ Wrote:Well, I'm not sure I get the 'occluding whenever possible' bit. Multiplex merely replaces the Panel view that was even more opaque, and has options for removing the info pane to make it even slimmer than Showcase. List view has ditched the panel which again makes it more fanart-friendly, and Showcase remains unchanged. I certainly don't think any of the recent additions/changes have compromised Aeon's objective.

If it's the darker tone you're worried about, I can assure you that everything's going to stay as it is besides one minor change, which is the recent darkening of the fullscreen info panel. Again, that change actually makes both the text and fanart more visible than before, so the only compromise is if you specifically liked the lighter grey it used before. I still need to tweak that page to even out the colour scheme a bit, though.

Fair enough. I spent some time with Multiplex in the latest Auriga on GitHub, and although as always I respect your skillful execution I think I just like the look of views like Showcase, lots of space, beautiful round corners, reflections, and clean textures.

Multiplex just reminds me too much of both Focus and MediaStream. If anything I'd ask that the black areas currently reserved for images in the info panel be redesigned to look neutral when no matching images are available. Empty space as opposed to black boxes. A colour change from black to the kinds of textures used in Lost and Settings might also help "blend" the Multiplex concept better into the skin's theme. In any case I'm sure things like that will develop as you refine your concept of the view.

The new list on the other hand is very much in step with what I would have classed as Aeon's unique style. I think it's a very nice replacement for the old list view.

- Hitcher - 2009-04-26

I think using the library images only is rather limiting because once you've got a 16x9 folder.jpg you're stuck using Aeon (not that I mind but others might). It also screws up the info panel.

Here I grabbed a different fanart for the and saved it as the folder.jpg.

But viewing the info screen results in this.

Could fanart be used along the bottom and another 'new' image (ie fanart2.jpg) be used for the larger one?
This way the folder.jpg will be left alone.

- djh_ - 2009-04-27

I do see your point. In defence of the Multiplex view, it was designed specifically to provide both a data- and media-intensive browser, which is what a lot of movie users want and what TV users require. At the risk of sounding too general, the more a user has to digest, the greater the contrast needs to be between background and text. Hence the darker tone. I've spent months trying to crowbar countless such concepts into the old colour scheme without success - I just had to draw the line.

I think the watchwords of Aeon have always been artwork and content rather than transparency, so the only difference in that sense with Multiplex is that the artwork's a foreground rather than background object. I'll certainly look at the black box thing you were talking about. Obviously, the idea is that you have artwork to fill that box, but I don't see the harm in having a more transparent placeholder.

My last words on the subject would be that Aeon isn't specifically designed to be 'unique', though its remit so far may have given that impression. It's designed to strike the ultimate balance between all the media types and ideals that a modern media centre presents, and you can't deny that MediaStream (I haven't tried Focus though it looks very nice) has previously exploited its design to greater effect for these metadata-heavy views. The great thing about the 'canvas' Multiplex provides is that you can extend it in all kinds of ways - that one view could provide the functionality of an entire skin for the media it concerns.

You needn't worry about the Music-specific view, either. I've never been too impressed by music metadata so much as playlist support and playcounts, etc, so some of that 'Aeon uniqueness' will certainly be returning there.

- djh_ - 2009-04-27

Hitcher Wrote:I think using the library images only is rather limiting because once you've got a 16x9 folder.jpg you're stuck using Aeon (not that I mind but others might). It also screws up the info panel.

I'm really not concerned about limiting users to Aeon. I wouldn't spend so much time on it if I wanted it to play happy families with other skins, and I don't let external influences have a say in the design. Clearly the fullscreen info page does need adjusting for TV shows, though, and I'll attend to that in due course. I'd consider a complete removal of fullscreen info for TV shows were the management functions of it less essential, but a change of thumbnail is the more likely solution.

- crowbar77 - 2009-04-27

This is probably a dumb question, but reading through the thread it sounds like this available already for download? Just wondering because git shows the latest update as april 11.

again sorry prob a stupid question.

- Aenima99x - 2009-04-27

crowbar77 Wrote:This is probably a dumb question, but reading through the thread it sounds like this available already for download? Just wondering because git shows the latest update as april 11.

again sorry prob a stupid question.

You need to look at the Auriga branch and not the master branch.