Kodi Community Forum
Pivos Xios DS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Pivos Xios DS (/showthread.php?tid=136852)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Pivos Xios DS - AndroiDad75 - 2013-01-25

Guys. I have a question. I want a box that I can put in the bedroom for the wife and I. I would like to hook it up to my network, via Cat5e, to stream the movies from my WHS2011. I ripped all the movies, BluRay & DVD, 1:1 using makemkv. My question is, will I just be able to plug this into the TV and be able to play my files?

I was looking at the Raspberry Pi, but it will not play the audio, unless I add a new audio track since it can't decode DTS or Dolby. I do not have an AVR in the bedroom, so would really like to be able to plug something into the TV via HDMI and not have to purchase a receiver.

Will this work for that?

RE: Pivos Xios DS - tennisbgc - 2013-01-25

I'm considering getting a pivos to replace my boxee box. All of my media would be stored on a usb drive directly connected to the device are there any certain type of files that it chocks on? Also I have a live tv adapter that boxee released would that work with this device.

RE: Pivos Xios DS - latex_labia - 2013-01-25

(2013-01-25, 09:49)tennisbgc Wrote: I'm considering getting a pivos to replace my boxee box. All of my media would be stored on a usb drive directly connected to the device are there any certain type of files that it chocks on? Also I have a live tv adapter that boxee released would that work with this device.

My Pivos has not choked on any file type. 1080p mkvs, avi, vc1, etc all play fine. Implementation of PVR (Live TV) on Boxee and on XBMC is very different. Your device will not be plug and play on any XBMC install. For XBMC PVR you need a backend running the TV server software and on the XBMC side you will need the appropriate add-on.

RE: Pivos Xios DS - ozkhan1 - 2013-01-25

(2013-01-25, 17:21)latex_labia Wrote:
(2013-01-25, 09:49)tennisbgc Wrote: I'm considering getting a pivos to replace my boxee box. All of my media would be stored on a usb drive directly connected to the device are there any certain type of files that it chocks on? Also I have a live tv adapter that boxee released would that work with this device.

My Pivos has not choked on any file type. 1080p mkvs, avi, vc1, etc all play fine. Implementation of PVR (Live TV) on Boxee and on XBMC is very different. Your device will not be plug and play on any XBMC install. For XBMC PVR you need a backend running the TV server software and on the XBMC side you will need the appropriate add-on.

L_L.

How does the livetv/PVR component work on your Pivos? Can you do NPVR on it? Did you notice any lags/stuttering with HD tv stations on it?

Are you using Android or Linux?

(2013-01-25, 02:14)rhmclay Wrote: Guys. I have a question. I want a box that I can put in the bedroom for the wife and I. I would like to hook it up to my network, via Cat5e, to stream the movies from my WHS2011. I ripped all the movies, BluRay & DVD, 1:1 using makemkv. My question is, will I just be able to plug this into the TV and be able to play my files?

I was looking at the Raspberry Pi, but it will not play the audio, unless I add a new audio track since it can't decode DTS or Dolby. I do not have an AVR in the bedroom, so would really like to be able to plug something into the TV via HDMI and not have to purchase a receiver.

Will this work for that?

This is exactly how I use my Pivos, so yes.

(2013-01-25, 17:58)ozkhan1 Wrote:

L_L.

How does the livetv/PVR component work on your Pivos? Can you do NPVR on it? Did you notice any lags/stuttering with HD tv stations on it?

Are you using Android or Linux?

EDIT: I am using the linux build.

How does the livetv/PVR component work on your Pivos? Same as any other XBMC box, just install the add-on and point it to your TV server IP.
Can you do NPVR on it? Yup, I use NPVR with a HDHomeRun.
Did you notice any lags/stuttering with HD tv stations on it? Not really. Channel changes causes A/V to go out of sync, so I just stop the stream and select another channel if I need to change channels. 720p ATSC broadcast is pretty flawless. 1080i ATSC broadcast is a bit of a different story, sometimes A/V will be out of sync, but I am sure XBMC and NPVR devs will get it sorted soon. Remember this is all still BETA. I should add that I have not tested recording of live TV at all as I do not use this function. I only use to view live TV for news or sporting events. Hope this helps.

RE: Pivos Xios DS - davilla - 2013-01-25

remember, PVR is a work in progress even in mainline code.

RE: Pivos Xios DS - tennisbgc - 2013-01-25

Thanks for the info. Still not sure what you are talking about with the live TV and I guess the wiki page is still being worked on. Also are pgs subs supported and how well does the remote work with it in terms of navigating.

RE: Pivos Xios DS - Robgue - 2013-01-25

Live tv is a work in progress across all platforms. But it does work.

I don't like the remote. Feels kind of cheap and not as responsive as I would like. I just use Flirc with it now. I think you can also use any wmc remote now (with wmc remote ir receiver). Of course you can use a Harmony too, it's in the Harmony remote database.

(2013-01-25, 19:48)Robgue Wrote: Live tv is a work in progress across all platforms. But it does work.

I don't like the remote. Feels kind of cheap and not as responsive as I would like. I just use Flirc with it now. I think you can also use any wmc remote now (with wmc remote ir receiver). Of course you can use a Harmony too, it's in the Harmony remote database.

What he said regarding the remote, but for a bedroom xbmc box it works well enough (no lag). If you need more i recommend a cheap RC6 MCE setup. I do not know what PGS subs are sorry.

RE: Pivos Xios DS - AndroiDad75 - 2013-01-25

(2013-01-25, 18:29)latex_labia Wrote: This is exactly how I use my Pivos, so yes.

So do you have any issues with streaming 1080p MKV's from a server, since it doesn't have a gigabit NIC. It only has a 10/100, so wasn't sure how it handled full 1080p bluray over a network.

you don't need Gig-E for 30-40Mb streams.

RE: Pivos Xios DS - ozkhan1 - 2013-01-25

10/100 used to work just fine for HD streaming before Gigabit Ethernet came along and now everyone has to have it.

It is good to have it on your server if you have multiple devices connecting to it for HD streaming but for front end, you should be ok.

damn specs, causing trouble for everyone Smile

RE: Pivos Xios DS - latex_labia - 2013-01-26

(2013-01-25, 21:43)rhmclay Wrote:
(2013-01-25, 18:29)latex_labia Wrote: This is exactly how I use my Pivos, so yes.

So do you have any issues with streaming 1080p MKV's from a server, since it doesn't have a gigabit NIC. It only has a 10/100, so wasn't sure how it handled full 1080p bluray over a network.

Nah man. as davilla and everyone else said, you don't need a gb nic for 1080p (full even).