Kodi Community Forum
User experiences so far with the dx builds of xbmc - share them here.. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: User experiences so far with the dx builds of xbmc - share them here.. (/showthread.php?tid=57681)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

- jochenz - 2009-09-27

today I updated to the latest IKON dx-build "XBMCSetup-Rev23196-dx.exe".

During movie playback the screensaver will kick in. I mean the windows screensaver. Which Is really annoying.

how can I solve this? shouldn't this be disabled when XBMC is active?

- joshuass - 2009-09-28

One other thing thats been bothering me is there are vertical black bars that show up for certain video files. Theres another post about this in the forum, but I figure I would mention it here as I've seen it in 2 -DX builds. It seems to happen for videos with a DAR of 16/9. So basically any Hi-Def video shows it. But, it does not happen from what I've seen, on files with a wierd DAR ratio number (say, a movie that was in letterbox format, but did not have the black horizontal bars encoded with the movie).

- mcage - 2009-09-29

gulp Wrote:Since DX introduction in svn revisions i've a bar at top screen (in DX or GL versions...is the same) always present, also during video reproduction.
Anyone has the same problem?
I've set fullscreen resolution in xbmc settings, and also in the advancedsettings.xml with no luck.

this is an image of the problem...

That's what I previously reported. To 'fix' this for now: in the properties of the xbmc executable or shortcut in Windows (no it's not an xbmc setting!) set the window size property to maximized!

- vriesm - 2009-09-29

This is what I discovered on my setup (ATI3650) when having XBMC on the second display [1 display --> monitor 1280*1024@60 Hz, 2 display --> TV 1280*720@60 Hz]:
DX build: perfect full screen, video playback done in display 1 rather than in display 2, refresh rate ok in home screen if both display 1 and 2 have the same refresh rates.
GL build: no perfect screen (shifted down), playback ok, refresh rate not ok in home screen on second display --> varies between 80 and 200 Hz.
So both DX and GL builds have there problems with one of the latest SVN builds checked out.

- azido - 2009-09-29

vriesm Wrote:This is what I discovered on my setup (ATI3650) when having XBMC on the second display [1 display --> monitor 1280*1024@60 Hz, 2 display --> TV 1280*720@60 Hz]:
DX build: perfect full screen, video playback done in display 1 rather than in display 2, refresh rate ok in home screen if both display 1 and 2 have the same refresh rates.
GL build: no perfect screen (shifted down), playback ok, refresh rate not ok in home screen on second display --> varies between 80 and 200 Hz.
So both DX and GL builds have there problems with one of the latest SVN builds checked out.

as i can see we share the same card, so there are exactly the same issues here.. though refresh rate on my tv cannot get higher than 60hz.

interesting:

if i remove guisettings.xml to give xbmc-gl svn revision 23196 a fresh, clean start, it fires up on screen #1 as expected. if i now go to settings -> appearance -> screen and set xbmc to display on screen #2, it fits perfectly!!

no black bar on top, no down-shift. but as soon as i quit xbmc and start it again, the black bar/down shift issue is back again.

so to me this looks like if xbmc-gl has to probe for positioning, it has more success to find the upper left corner then when there is a given setup in guisettings.xml. plus, when comparing screenshots, it looks like not only y-position, but also x-position is not determined right. a slight shift to right also applies (look at the highlighted screen button, there you can see it easily).

- azido - 2009-09-29

another interesting thing:

xbmc reports my main screen is running at 1680x1050 @59hz in xbmc.log, upon screen resolution selection it says 1680x1050 @59.94 Full Screen, whereas resolution for screen #2 is offered as 1360x768 @60.00 Full Screen #2.

Windows 7 reports screen #1 to be at 59hz. 60hz is available on dropdown, but when selected and applied, it drops back to 59hz. The Ati driver application report both screens to be running at 60hz. There i cannot set screen#1 to 59hz - goes back to 60hz. Also my monitor settings OSD reports screen #1 to be at 60hz.

As i use extend mode to extend my desktop across both screens: this might be the reason of that right/down shift issue?

- kricker - 2009-09-29

mcage Wrote:That's what I previously reported. To 'fix' this for now: in the properties of the xbmc executable or shortcut in Windows (no it's not an xbmc setting!) set the window size property to maximized!
For me I simply removed the -fs from the shortcut. Once the res is set, it will launch full screen from then on without any window title bar.

- joshuass - 2009-09-29

I went back to SVN 22516.

I could not for the life of me get the DX version of 23196 to display subtitles. I used to dependency walker to look at libass.dll's dependencies and found it found some implicit imports that were screwing up.

The black vertical bar phenomenon was also screwing with me (looked like the normal screen ratio wasn't really defaulting to 1080x1920, so the screen looked squished during video playback).

As side note, no luck with the GL version either, as I couldn't get any video playback, but the subtitles worked Smile

- natew - 2009-09-29

If I have just all around decreased performance--everything just runs a bit slower--is that an issue with the build or does my computer just not handle dx as well as opengl?

- dj_gerbil - 2009-09-30

natew Wrote:If I have just all around decreased performance--everything just runs a bit slower--is that an issue with the build or does my computer just not handle dx as well as opengl?

To be honest it could be either and without some more information i.e. machine specs it would be unwise to make a sweeping judgement. However if, for example, you PC runs normally doing normal things like surfing the net and using the GL builds but runs slow in say the DX build then you may find that either your graphics card or its driver have been optimised for OpenGL rather then DirectX and therefore will give you a poor performance. I may be wrong, but this is how I understand it.

- mitul103 - 2009-09-30

dj_gerbil Wrote:To be honest it could be either and without some more information i.e. machine specs it would be unwise to make a sweeping judgement. However if, for example, you PC runs normally doing normal things like surfing the net and using the GL builds but runs slow in say the DX build then you may find that either your graphics card or its driver have been optimised for OpenGL rather then DirectX and therefore will give you a poor performance. I may be wrong, but this is how I understand it.

I would think it would be far more likely that the directx port isn't nearly as optimized as the much older opengl branch. I can't imagine Nvidia or ATI (or anybody else) have worse directx drivers than opengl given that most of their customers care about directx more than opengl.

For the record I get worse performance with the directx branch, but only in menus. FPS hovers at around 58 whereas in the opengl version it is always at 60. This is with a 9400GT and a E8500 C2D.

- dj_gerbil - 2009-09-30

mitul103 Wrote:I would think it would be far more likely that the directx port isn't nearly as optimized as the much older opengl branch. I can't imagine Nvidia or ATI (or anybody else) have worse directx drivers than opengl given that most of their customers care about directx more than opengl.

For the record I get worse performance with the directx branch, but only in menus. FPS hovers at around 58 whereas in the opengl version it is always at 60. This is with a 9400GT and a E8500 C2D.

Good point, I forgot about that lol. However my original point is still valid, without further information it makes it hard to comment.

DirectX Runtimes - AnalogKid - 2009-09-30

hummm

I'm a little curious about this, but using recent DX builds has resulted in a warning message about missing directx dll's. This is on brand new installations of 7 and Vista....

I was under the impression that since XP, directx was already installed with the OS, but perhaps I am wrong.

Either way, the DX builds fail to run unless I explicitly install the DirectX end user runtimes.
This is fine for ME, but for your everyday user, it's not a good experience. Creating a sexy installer to install DirectX would be nice, but a very low priority I'd say...

I'm just curious... what IS the end user experience expected to be in the longer term?
I've taken a portable openGL version to many PC's without ever once having trouble (other than having to reconfigure for specific SPDIF audio out for user who have it)... but I get the feeling the DirectX version isn't going to run 'out of the box'

- ezhik - 2009-09-30

I've been trying out the DX builds in W7 (64bit). I got the message to the effect that D3DX9_41.dll was missing. I just found that dll on-line, downloaded it and copied it to the XBMC installation folder. After that the DX builds load, no need to install anything else for me, seemed fairly straightforward.

What are others doing who get this error message?

- AnalogKid - 2009-09-30

ezhik Wrote:I've been trying out the DX builds in W7 (64bit). I got the message to the effect that D3DX9_41.dll was missing. I just found that dll on-line, downloaded it and copied it to the XBMC installation folder. After that the DX builds load, no need to install anything else for me, seemed fairly straightforward.

What are others doing who get this error message?

Installed the latest DirectX.

I never download individual dll's (some very nasty sites out there with rogue DLL's! But, interesting to learn it just needs one dll in the distribution. That makes life a LOT simpler (providing they're allowed to redistribute it)