Kodi Community Forum
Shuttle XS35 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Shuttle XS35 (/showthread.php?tid=74974)

- stiggs - 2010-10-02

heldchen Wrote:with the sound settings we're using here (plughw:1,7 etc) playback of 7.1 audio seems to fail ("audio device initialization failed"). anyone else noticed?

By any chance would the file you trying to play be an AC3 audio codec? I got the same error with a file of that audio compression. Funny enough in my xbmc settings i just use hdmi output and that high quality analog setting, when I tried custom-> plughw:1,7 it wouldn't work for me. Im sure I had messed some file up tho for that.

Heldchen since you are using Maverick did you get audio over flash/youtube etc on your web browser? Or do you just stick to xbmc? i got mine going but Im sure there is a better way

- heldchen - 2010-10-02

openelec.tv Wrote:i like the tips for using the SSD, maybe i will find an way to include this per default if an SSD is detected ;-) does this helps a lot?

it doesn't help performance wise but prevents the wearing off. so it's defenitely useful

- heldchen - 2010-10-02

stiggs Wrote:Nice guides gents. Did any of ye get the wireless working on dharma live with the command line interface?
With the help of froggits guide I installed dharma today and I managed to get my external usb wireless (since the shuttle wireless network card is not very good imo) installed and detected. I think I was in a sniff of getting onto the wireless network here but am gonna call it a night, I changed so many config files etc now that I might just do a clean install again - not sure of what tho.
Wired connection is out of the question for me unfortunately.

find below my installation log for lucid & wifi (using the internal wifi, but shouldn't differ much):

Code:
enable wlan (RTL8192SE) (lucid only)

update bios

1. update bios to 1.0.9 or newer
        2. enable wifi card "always on" in bios

install RTL8192S wifi card

1. download sources from http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=48&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true

2. compile:
            cp -r /mnt/rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0017.0705.2010/ /usr/local/src/    
            cd /usr/local/src/rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0017.0705.2010/
            make
            make install
            reboot

maybe needed:
                apt-get install build-essential subversion module-assistant
                module-assistant prepare

3. generate wpa-psk hex key
            wpa_passphrase "<wlan network name>" "<plaintext passphrase>"

4. edit /etc/network/interfaces
            auto wlan0
            iface wlan0 inet dhcp
                wpa-ssid "<wlan network name>"
                wpa-psk <generated wpa key from step 3 or alternatively plaintext passphraase>

5. protect the network key
            sudo chmod o=-r /etc/network/interfaces

- heldchen - 2010-10-02

stiggs Wrote:By any chance would the file you trying to play be an AC3 audio codec? I got the same error with a file of that audio compression. Funny enough in my xbmc settings i just use hdmi output and that high quality analog setting, when I tried custom-> plughw:1,7 it wouldn't work for me. Im sure I had messed some file up tho for that.
ac3 works fine, at least up until 5.1 channels. i don't think i have a 6.1/7.1 ac3 movie tho.

stiggs Wrote:Heldchen since you are using Maverick did you get audio over flash/youtube etc on your web browser? Or do you just stick to xbmc? i got mine going but Im sure there is a better way
yes to all. except for the 6.1/7.1 issue, i have sounds everywhere - also in gnome.

- stiggs - 2010-10-02

Thanks a million heldchen, I see what i was doing wrong. Looking forward to trying this. Much appreciated!

- bossanova808 - 2010-10-03

Anyone have a working link for a copy of the 1.0.9 BIOS - it's gone missing on the Shuttle site and I would like to get wireless working as I want to try testing the box in a different place that only has wireless.

In my guide I spoke too soon - suspend/resume only works now and again...so I tried upgrading to the latest ubuntu lucid stable kernel (.25) and that broke sound.

It's all getting a bit messy and I think I am going to go down the Maverick path like Heldchen, seems the easiest option for now - all the drivers free out of the box pretty much.

It's a real shame that Dharma is going to come out bsaed on lucid in a way - maverick is only a few weeks away and would be a much easier choice for new hardware like ours!

- heldchen - 2010-10-03

bossanova808 Wrote:Anyone have a working link for a copy of the 1.0.9 BIOS - it's gone missing on the Shuttle site and I would like to get wireless working as I want to try testing the box in a different place that only has wireless.

In my guide I spoke too soon - suspend/resume only works now and again...so I tried upgrading to the latest ubuntu lucid stable kernel (.25) and that broke sound.

It's all getting a bit messy and I think I am going to go down the Maverick path like Heldchen, seems the easiest option for now - all the drivers free out of the box pretty much.

It's a real shame that Dharma is going to come out bsaed on lucid in a way - maverick is only a few weeks away and would be a much easier choice for new hardware like ours!

you're in luck, it's much simpler to install xbmc on maverick than xbmc live on lucid... Wink

i have some detailed installation logs as text files on my pc, might create a wiki page sometimes once everything is working nicely.

heldchen Wrote:you're in luck, it's much simpler to install xbmc on maverick than xbmc live on lucid... Wink

i have some detailed installation logs as text files on my pc, might create a wiki page sometimes once everything is working nicely.

That would be good.....what's not working at the moment?

- heldchen - 2010-10-03

7.1 sound isn't working properly

That I can live with....I've only got 5.1 - very nice 5.1 but 5.1 none the less.

Would love to see your guide/text file when you have a chance as I will hopefully find some time for an install soon. Don't suppose you have bios 1.0.9 lying around anywhere?

- froggit - 2010-10-03

bossanova808 Wrote:That I can live with....I've only got 5.1 - very nice 5.1 but 5.1 none the less.

Would love to see your guide/text file when you have a chance as I will hopefully find some time for an install soon. Don't suppose you have bios 1.0.9 lying around anywhere?

I've got BIOS 1.09, if you have somewhere I can copy it? It's 1.5MB

- bossanova808 - 2010-10-04

I'll PM you some details, thanks!

- froggit - 2010-10-04

bossanova808 Wrote:I'll PM you some details, thanks!

OK, you should have it now.

- bossanova808 - 2010-10-04

Yep, got it thanks!

- froggit - 2010-10-04

OK, great!