Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH (/showthread.php?tid=187433)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - calev - 2014-02-03

I really dont get the 60hz problem. I live in America, is that why? I never notice any of my bluray rips stuttering on ouya (fixed at 60hz). Im following this thread for a while till I click the buy button on amazon.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - SgtSlaughter - 2014-02-03

(2014-02-03, 05:14)calev Wrote: I really dont get the 60hz problem. I live in America, is that why? I never notice any of my bluray rips stuttering on ouya (fixed at 60hz). Im following this thread for a while till I click the buy button on amazon.

provantage.com was cheaper than amazon.com I got my NUC next day. never happened to me ever in my life.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - User 72023 - 2014-02-03

(2014-02-02, 17:52)mhaaland Wrote: Do you have IR enabled in BIOS?

Pretty sure I do but will double check. I wouldn't have thought that Windows would have installed it in Device Manager if it wasn't?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - Ned Scott - 2014-02-03

So update the bios or use another linux distro. Using Windows on a $140 NUC that's just going to be an HTPC seems like madness to me, but I've never really liked Windows in the first place.

No PC has CEC. You know who has the only built-in and fully (mostly) functional CEC implementation? Raspberry Pi. Why? Who the hell knows. The entire market is retarded about CEC. Even the HDMI group is retarded about CEC. All the TV manufacturers screw it all up and give it different names and slightly different implementations. I don't blame intel for saying "screw that", and at least they included headers so you could install an internal CEC chip. OUYA and ATV2 don't have CEC, so why is it not an issue for them?

OUYA can only do 60hz refresh rate. Depending on the content you are playing, it might not even be an issue at all, let alone if someone even notices it. I'm fairly certain that the ATV2 can't do 24hz either.

The Raspberry Pi is a weird exception, not the rule. Somehow this tiny, underpowered device has turned out to be a majorly kick ass HTPC. That doesn't mean that everyone else sucks because the Pi can do it for dirt cheap.

All I know is, it's not normal to lose your OS install, regardless of OS, just at random like that. No matter what the hardware. You should find out why it happened rather than just assume it's the NUC boogyman.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - User 72023 - 2014-02-03

My DN2820 hasn't had any issues with my 1080p content under Windows 8.1. All came good after I installed the Intel video drivers. Just sorting out the infrared now.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - tristan_b - 2014-02-03

While I may have had a rough start with this NUC - install the new bios, install the new drivers, don't fiddle with bios settings once it is working - I believe I now have all the major issues ironed out. It has been running Ubuntu 13.10 and dipping in and out of XBMC, Netflix and YouTube all with 1080p content all weekend with not even a stutter. A full PC with such a small form factor (I now have it VESA mounted to the back of the TV) for around $250 is a good deal in my book.

Little glitches still to work out -
Ubuntu still thinks I have a VGA monitor and a HDMI monitor plugged in (which I don't obviously)
Mouse turns the whole system on (from full power down) with the tiniest wiggle no matter what bios settings used
WiFi occasionally drops out and requires a full system reboot to get going (I eventually gave up with it and switched to ethernet)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - saunderez - 2014-02-03

(2014-02-03, 06:22)nogi Wrote: My DN2820 hasn't had any issues with my 1080p content under Windows 8.1. All came good after I installed the Intel video drivers. Just sorting out the infrared now.
My IR wasn't working the second time I installed Windows 8.1, what worked for me was uninstalling the device in device manager (tick the box to remove the drivers) then rebooting and installing the drivers from the Intel website again using the setup exe. NFI why it didn't work until I reinstalled them but that was the solution for me in the end.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - PANiCnz - 2014-02-03

Pretty sure most new products have a few bugs to sort out on release, not sure why people are so surprised about the NUC. I'm sure the ATV2 and RPI weren't perfect when the devs started ported XBMC to those devices.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - dhead - 2014-02-03

(2014-02-03, 06:17)Ned Scott Wrote: So update the bios or use another linux distro. Using Windows on a $140 NUC that's just going to be an HTPC seems like madness to me, but I've never really liked Windows in the first place.

I don't like MS at all but they done great work with Win8.1.
I've played a bit with a friend's Bay Trail tablet (which I recommened to him instead of Apple and Android) and it's way superior to Android, Google should take some notes from MS.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - Ned Scott - 2014-02-03

(2014-02-03, 09:44)dhead Wrote:
(2014-02-03, 06:17)Ned Scott Wrote: So update the bios or use another linux distro. Using Windows on a $140 NUC that's just going to be an HTPC seems like madness to me, but I've never really liked Windows in the first place.

I don't like MS at all but they done great work with Win8.1.
I've played a bit with a friend's Bay Trail tablet (which I recommened to him instead of Apple and Android) and it's way superior to Android, Google should take some notes from MS.

Well, unless you really need Windows, it's still hard for me to justify the license cost on a $140 device that will likely just do HTPC stuff.

Is there a windows app to test the iR sensor?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - zAo_OSX - 2014-02-03

$ irw
I guess that its part or lirc.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - luksol - 2014-02-03

(2014-02-03, 06:17)Ned Scott Wrote: [...] OUYA and ATV2 don't have CEC, so why is it not an issue for them? [...]

I am pretty sure that OUYA has CEC hardware. It is software part of it that does not work, but apparently devs are working on it. Read this post (at the bottom) https://www.ouya.tv/ouya-system-hotfix-for-abominable-snowman-december-18-2013/

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - jjd-uk - 2014-02-03

(2014-02-03, 04:41)SgtSlaughter Wrote: I have been experiencing issues with my Baytrail NUC.
I totally lost my windows 8 install today, I am not happy about having to re-install my OS after 9 days.

I would not recommend the Baytrail NUC. I personally believe that the OUYA and the ARM community has way more to offer than Intel for tons less money.
The NUC DN2820 is a neutered processor and has inferior GPU for the majority of my 720 files. Every-time I turnoff my hotel's tv the display will not restore my session and I needed to reboot the CPU.

At this point I would only recommend a Raspberry Pi or Ouya.
Intel doesn't invest in the XBMC community period. At best they overcharge for a inferior/under built product.
It is pathetic that a BILLION dollar company couldn't fix the 24hz bug or add CEC to their low end media center product.

Raspbmc/Ouya/Apple tv2 outperforms dollar for dollar. Intel is incapable of innovating for the sub 200 dollar price point. It is not wonder that they have announced the lay off of 5,000 employees this year (2014)

What makes you think the GPU is inferior? all reports thus far indicate the 24Hz bug is fixed on Bay Trail despite having last gen Ivy Bridge graphics, and regarding what happens when you turn the TV off is likely to be the well known Windows hotplug issue for the HDMI, it's likely the simple Pin 19 trick will sort that, see HDMI (wiki)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - joelbaby - 2014-02-03

(2014-02-03, 04:41)SgtSlaughter Wrote: I have been experiencing issues with my Baytrail NUC.
I totally lost my windows 8 install today, I am not happy about having to re-install my OS after 9 days.

Is this because you were disconnecting it from the power constantly without shutting it down first?
If so - blame the OS implementation - not the computer you installed it on.