Kodi Community Forum
Jittery Video? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Jittery Video? (/showthread.php?tid=38530)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

- HexusOdy - 2008-11-20

I thought this was agreed that it is primarily a Win32 OpenGL driver issue?

What is the list going to achieve? It happens on many specs including Nvidia, Intel and ATI cards. I'm pretty sure nothing can be done to fix this other than to switch from OpenGL on Windows or find some OGL Guru that can improve the drivers.

- Hitcher - 2008-11-20

I've made a torrent of olympia's test videos that you can download from my sig.

- Ashex - 2008-11-20

I've also been having this issue. I recorded a clip with my phone to show a dev what was going on.
Check it here. Sorry it's in 3gp, my converter is freaking out on me.
Specs are Intel E7200 proc, Intel DG45FC, 1GB ram, with X4500HD graphics over hdmi. Res in XBMC is set to 720p 16:9 with sync set to "Let Driver Choose"

- regulator207 - 2008-11-20

I have a G45 and i noticed some horizontal tearing so i put in an nvidia 8600 and it looks fine now.

I had the most uptodate drivers from intel and the video looked fine when I would use media player classic but not in xbmc.

any ideas?

- nugentgl - 2008-11-20

SneakerElph Wrote:Also, if you're running Vista turning off Aero got rid of the jitteryness for me. I switched to the classic vista theme and everything seems a lot speedier.

I had the exact opposite experience. I was suffering from extreme jittery and tearing video with aero off. I turned it back on after I vaguely remember reading that turning off aero caused problems in XBMC. Once I did that, all my tearing went away and I have minor jitter (not enough for me to notice when casually watching a movie).

BTW - I tried it on two boxes (both Intel IGP's), G45 and G35.

- HexusOdy - 2008-11-22

I notice there has been an FFMPEG update applied to a recently SVN build int he Timeline on Trac. has anyone tries this to see if any improvement?

- WiSo - 2008-11-22

The update was just done in a developer branch. Nothing in the main trunk yet.

- sexus6 - 2008-11-26

Jitter summary: Jitter in all video formats, divx, mkv, SD, HD. 24fps, 25 fps... Credit titles is the most notable sequence that I see that.

Problem Media info:All
Video codec:all
Video resolution: all
Video bitrate:all
Audio codec:all
Audio bitrate:all

HTPC Config:
TV=> TV PANASONIC TH-42PX70EA (manual says that only 50hz and 60 hz supports)
XBMC Build: Atlantis 8.10
Windows Version:Windows XP SP2 Profesional
Type of CPU: AMd athlon core duo 4500
RAM: 2 gb
Video Chipset: Integrated ATI HD3200 HDMI
Video Driver version: 8.11
Windows Resolution: 720p
XBMC Resolution: 720p
XBMC Vsync setting: Always Off.

-When I enable VSYNC in ATI CONTROL CENTER, and disable at XBMC, jitter decrease, but not complete fluid.
-I have xbox 1 with XBMC, at 720p 60 hz and all SD contents (25 fps for this zone) works perfect.
- I test with HD-WD same videos (SD and HD) at 50hz and 60hz, and there is not jitter.
- I test with xbox360 some SD videos, and any HD videos (mp4 coded), and there is not jitter (my xbox360 is set to 60HZ).
- I have to enable SAME AS DESKTOP refresh rate at "3D/fullscreen apps" option in ATI CONTROL CENTER, for make that xbmc takes the same refresh rate that I put to the desktop. Was the only way to change xbmc refresh rate that I found. But this not works always (¿?) Some times xbmc takes same refresh rate that I change (50 or 60), and sometimes didn't change. Why? Is there any way to specify refresh rate to xbmc?
- Theoretically, my plasma does not support another refresh rate than 50hz or 60hz . But, sometimes when I change refresh rate at ATI CONTROL CENTER (50 hz or 60 only), and SAME AS DESKTOP to 3D/fullscreen apps option, when I enter to xbmc, I see in xbmc system info that graphic card refresh is set to 30 HZ (¿?¿?¿?). The menu runs at 30 fps smoothly (I see at debug info), and jitter decrease!. I don't understand why, and how can I make posible to force 30 hz (or another refressh) at xbmc, and how can my plasma show correct this misterious 30 hz refresh rate, because this mode is not supported by my plasma (if I force this at desktop with ATI CONTROL CENTER, shows jerky graphics).

Any help? Thanks in advance
Sorry for my bad english

- mpw222 - 2008-12-06

I managed to fix this problem by disabling vsync in xbmc, but forcing it on through the nvidia control panel. I went from +/- .4fps to +/-.02fps.

- noikz - 2008-12-08

Had an identical issue and followed what mpw222 said and I'm now jitter free with no tearing. Thanks ! Big Grin

- ashlar - 2008-12-08

mpw222 Wrote:I managed to fix this problem by disabling vsync in xbmc, but forcing it on through the nvidia control panel. I went from +/- .4fps to +/-.02fps.
Really interesting approach. Never tried this way. I'll try and report back.

- Hitcher - 2008-12-08

mpw222 Wrote:I managed to fix this problem by disabling vsync in xbmc, but forcing it on through the nvidia control panel. I went from +/- .4fps to +/-.02fps.

Mine's been about +/-0.2fps since I enabled 'Let Driver Decide' in XBMC and setting my ATI control to 'On, unless application specifies'.

- azido - 2008-12-08

Hitcher Wrote:Mine's been about +/-0.2fps since I enabled 'Let Driver Decide' in XBMC and setting my ATI control to 'On, unless application specifies'.

sounds like this should be tested by me on my xp partition to see if it changes those horizontal lines on fast moves and bright scenes.. Smile

- parrots - 2008-12-09

Don't know if it'll be of much help, but this seems related to the problem I was having last night. Under XP (fresh install, patched to SP3) video playback was usually at about 1 frame every 5 seconds under XBMC on standard definition files. Tried media in VLC playback was smooth. Latest drivers, everything (Core2 3.18,gHz, Intel g45 chipset, output over hdmi).

Wiped and moved to Vista and the playback is perfect, even with 720p content.

Both systems were x86 versions of the OS.

- mpw222 - 2008-12-10

parrots Wrote:Don't know if it'll be of much help, but this seems related to the problem I was having last night. Under XP (fresh install, patched to SP3) video playback was usually at about 1 frame every 5 seconds under XBMC on standard definition files. Tried media in VLC playback was smooth. Latest drivers, everything (Core2 3.18,gHz, Intel g45 chipset, output over hdmi).

Wiped and moved to Vista and the playback is perfect, even with 720p content.

Both systems were x86 versions of the OS.
Edit Sorry, misread your post