Kodi Community Forum
Android Kodi 18.4 random crashes on the Shield TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Android Kodi 18.4 random crashes on the Shield TV (/showthread.php?tid=347265)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Kodi 18.4 random crashes on the Shield TV - Zak11 - 2019-11-18

(2019-11-18, 15:20)VonMagnum Wrote:
(2019-11-18, 13:34)ZombieViewer Wrote: I am in the same boat as you. Kodi crashes at random, even when sitting on the home page, or viewing a photo album, or playing music or just browsing the configuration options. Kodi has never managed to run more than an hour tops without crashing.

I've read somewhere to enable developer options and to increase the log value to the max, I did that but I did not see much difference. The thread is here:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/313675/struggling-with-kodi-crashs-on-shield-easy-to-solv/

Poking around the various Kodi developers, I found out that the Android version of Kodi is not being maintained and/or developed, which is probably why nobody has bothered to take a look. The debug log has nothing of interest, once a crash happens it seems as if the log is stopped there without any error messages. My setup uses a remote MariaDB database for storing kodi data and 3 samba shares (/movies/, /music/, /pictures/).

I believe its relevant to mention that with NVIDIA Shield TV android 7 and Kodi 17, everything worked fine and Kodi was quite reliable to play movies and music. But loading my large (10,000+) picture archive almost always crashed Kodi.

(2019-11-18, 08:26)VonMagnum Wrote: Anyone else getting random "stop" behavior from KODI 18.4 after the last Shield firmware update?  It's still doing it here, usually 20-50 minutes in or so (2-3 times per 2 hour movie). I tried every possible setting I can think of that could somehow interfere.  I'm at a loss.  I don't know if the log would show the cause of the issue or just show it stopping (seems like a 40+ minute run would create quite a long log).  CEC commands caused it in the past, but I have them all turned off as far as I can tell.  This really kills the usability of KODI on the Shield.

That's not what happens here.  KODI almost never crashes on me and certainly doesn't do it on photo albums or music.  I have gotten "skips" playing music over the network (seems to work better playing it locally off its own hard drive, although that ProjectM visualizer seems to cause skipping sometimes if its active, which is odd since it didn't have that problem in 18.3, but it could be the firmware change in the Shield too.  I noticed if I go back to the Shield's main menu, it will show whatever music is playing as a Notification (seems odd that it would show as a notification) and if no music is playing it shows a notification as "UNKNOWN" from KODI.  I don't think it showed the latter before the last firmware update.  Something seems to have changed in how KODI interacts with the Shield (KODI added ability to integrate with the Shield's search, etc., which was great until these issues came up which may or may not have something to do with that).

What Zak11 posted sounds like what it does here.  I found no connection to SMB vs NFS, though.  It does the same thing on both. 
Hi so same issue with NFS i wont bother trying to set that up then couldnt figure it out anyway, nvidia released fix for the 2015/2017 models so cant be long till 2019 fix is released , I only stream 4K files with Kodi it never crashes it just randomly exits to Kodi homescreen at least i know its not me

RE: Kodi 18.4 random crashes on the Shield TV - VonMagnum - 2019-11-18

(2019-11-18, 14:41)Zak11 Wrote: seeing this fix released for 2015/2017 models hopefully not long for 2019 models 
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/326778/20152017-shield-experience-upgrade-801-hotfix-imag/

I don't know what a hot fix is or how to install it, but it clearly doesn't sound like it's a regular update.  Mine is a 2017 model and I saw no updates available last night.  Hopefully that SMB drop from large files fixes the exiting movie thing, but somehow I doubt it.  KODI just acts like someone clicked the stop button on a remote or something.  We also never got SMB3 for the Shield side (only for server side).  They said it would be coming next and that was over a year ago...

I see NO support for Atmos sound in ANY App on my Shield.  Either it wants a 4K set connected to get Atmos (AppleTV 4K doesn't require a 4K set or projector to play Atmos for Apple content, Netflix content or Disney+ content) or the apps don't support Atmos on the Shield.  That's sad give how expensive the Shield was.  It was supposed to be the BEST box device for KODI, but between exiting my own library and no Atmos support for any Apps, it seems like an overpriced POS now.  Sadly, my X9S works better (and supports 3D playback) and it doesn't even support SMB3 directly (KODI will run with SMB3, though now that they fixed the firmware to run Leia).

(2019-11-18, 15:27)VonMagnum Wrote:
(2019-11-18, 14:41)Zak11 Wrote: seeing this fix released for 2015/2017 models hopefully not long for 2019 models 
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/326778/20152017-shield-experience-upgrade-801-hotfix-imag/

I don't know what a hot fix is or how to install it, but it clearly doesn't sound like it's a regular update.  Mine is a 2017 model and I saw no updates available last night.  Hopefully that SMB drop from large files fixes the exiting movie thing, but somehow I doubt it.  KODI just acts like someone clicked the stop button on a remote or something.  We also never got SMB3 for the Shield side (only for server side).  They said it would be coming next and that was over a year ago...

I see NO support for Atmos sound in ANY App on my Shield.  Either it wants a 4K set connected to get Atmos (AppleTV 4K doesn't require a 4K set or projector to play Atmos for Apple content, Netflix content or Disney+ content) or the apps don't support Atmos on the Shield.  That's sad give how expensive the Shield was.  It was supposed to be the BEST box device for KODI, but between exiting my own library and no Atmos support for any Apps, it seems like an overpriced POS now.  Sadly, my X9S works better (and supports 3D playback) and it doesn't even support SMB3 directly (KODI will run with SMB3, though now that they fixed the firmware to run Leia). 

Hi, you have to fill this in to get the update and someone posted it fixed SMB issue they had
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeZTXIjnx18nxZGAxMY3ioHIaUKrvBMhbn5GJyhtURlHTd9BA/viewform?entry.1352533101=DONTDELETE-

Thanks

(2019-11-18, 15:24)Zak11 Wrote:
(2019-11-18, 15:20)VonMagnum Wrote:
(2019-11-18, 13:34)ZombieViewer Wrote: I am in the same boat as you. Kodi crashes at random, even when sitting on the home page, or viewing a photo album, or playing music or just browsing the configuration options. Kodi has never managed to run more than an hour tops without crashing.

I've read somewhere to enable developer options and to increase the log value to the max, I did that but I did not see much difference. The thread is here:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/313675/struggling-with-kodi-crashs-on-shield-easy-to-solv/

Poking around the various Kodi developers, I found out that the Android version of Kodi is not being maintained and/or developed, which is probably why nobody has bothered to take a look. The debug log has nothing of interest, once a crash happens it seems as if the log is stopped there without any error messages. My setup uses a remote MariaDB database for storing kodi data and 3 samba shares (/movies/, /music/, /pictures/).

I believe its relevant to mention that with NVIDIA Shield TV android 7 and Kodi 17, everything worked fine and Kodi was quite reliable to play movies and music. But loading my large (10,000+) picture archive almost always crashed Kodi.

That's not what happens here.  KODI almost never crashes on me and certainly doesn't do it on photo albums or music.  I have gotten "skips" playing music over the network (seems to work better playing it locally off its own hard drive, although that ProjectM visualizer seems to cause skipping sometimes if its active, which is odd since it didn't have that problem in 18.3, but it could be the firmware change in the Shield too.  I noticed if I go back to the Shield's main menu, it will show whatever music is playing as a Notification (seems odd that it would show as a notification) and if no music is playing it shows a notification as "UNKNOWN" from KODI.  I don't think it showed the latter before the last firmware update.  Something seems to have changed in how KODI interacts with the Shield (KODI added ability to integrate with the Shield's search, etc., which was great until these issues came up which may or may not have something to do with that).

What Zak11 posted sounds like what it does here.  I found no connection to SMB vs NFS, though.  It does the same thing on both.  
Hi so same issue with NFS i wont bother trying to set that up then couldnt figure it out anyway, nvidia released fix for the 2015/2017 models so cant be long till 2019 fix is released , I only stream 4K files with Kodi it never crashes it just randomly exits to Kodi homescreen at least i know its not me 
It goes back to the screen I clicked to start the movie (whether from the "new movies" images on the main home screen or the movies listing).  It's exactly as if I hit the 'stop' button except I didn't hit it and don't want it to stop.  It did this before in 17.x, but turning off CEC got rid of it.  17.3 worked GREAT and it 17.4 seemed to work OK until the last firmware update (which I think upgraded Android OS to the newer version) and then this 'stopping' stuff started.  I wish I could revert back to the previous firmware.  Nothing improved elsewhere, IMO.  I get no Atmos in anything but my own movie library, but that was the primary reason I got a Shield (and up until now playing Atmos, DTS:X or Auro-3D worked fine and they still play, but just randomly stop).  AppleTV 4K gets Atmos in almost everything streaming, though (save Vudu and PRIME, although it sounds like they only pass it if you have a 4K TV/Projector or an HD Fury to fool it, but then I read some said they only get stereo or 5.1 with the Prime App even with a 4K set so who knows).

(2019-11-18, 15:29)Zak11 Wrote:
(2019-11-18, 15:27)VonMagnum Wrote:

Hi, you have to fill this in to get the update and someone posted it fixed SMB issue they had
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeZTXIjnx18nxZGAxMY3ioHIaUKrvBMhbn5GJyhtURlHTd9BA/viewform?entry.1352533101=DONTDELETE-

Thanks 

Thanks for the link, but I'm afraid it might screw something up even worse since there's no way to roll back.  It's not an SMB "server" issue here.  It's a "stops playing" issue.  The SMB3 in question is KODI's implementation, not the server the Shield uses to transfer files to your desktop computer (which was having trouble connecting here recently but seems OK right now when I tried it).

(2019-11-18, 15:35)VonMagnum Wrote:
(2019-11-18, 15:29)Zak11 Wrote:
(2019-11-18, 15:27)VonMagnum Wrote: I don't know what a hot fix is or how to install it, but it clearly doesn't sound like it's a regular update.  Mine is a 2017 model and I saw no updates available last night.  Hopefully that SMB drop from large files fixes the exiting movie thing, but somehow I doubt it.  KODI just acts like someone clicked the stop button on a remote or something.  We also never got SMB3 for the Shield side (only for server side).  They said it would be coming next and that was over a year ago...

Thanks  

Thanks for the link, but I'm afraid it might screw something up even worse since there's no way to roll back.  It's not an SMB "server" issue here.  It's a "stops playing" issue.  The SMB3 in question is KODI's implementation, not the server the Shield uses to transfer files to your desktop computer (which was having trouble connecting here recently but seems OK right now when I tried it). 

Oh ok, that seems to be my issue SMB Server timeout/disconnect when transferring large files which is listed in that fix also does it in VLC player my main use is using KODI and cant do much with it now and annoyed for how much it cost

(2019-11-18, 15:44)Zak11 Wrote:
(2019-11-18, 15:35)VonMagnum Wrote:
(2019-11-18, 15:29)Zak11 Wrote: Hi, you have to fill this in to get the update and someone posted it fixed SMB issue they had

Thanks  

Oh ok, that seems to be my issue SMB Server timeout/disconnect when transferring large files which is listed in that fix also does it in VLC player my main use is using KODI and cant do much with it now and annoyed for how much it cost     

Let me know if the fix works.  I'll apply the next full update when it's stable.  I'll just use my X9S until then, I guess.  Yeah, it's annoying.  But you're using a free product so you can't expect any support. I'm thinking of looking into Plex again.  I think it supports Atmos passthrough now and since they work for money, they actually listen to bug reports and actually fix things rather than tell you that they'll be looking forward to your submitted fix and other condescending crap.

KODI Issues here compared to other devices

BIG ISSUES (breaks functionality):

-Music skips on network (SMB, NFS don't matter nor does Windows 10 or MacOS server host here; this has existed for many years and never gets looked at; goes away with local playback)

-Music now skips on ProjectM playback on Shield (seemed OK before last firmware update, but now skips when the pattern changes about 20% of the time)

-Movies stop playing randomly on Shield (seems to be Shield issue as KODI 18.4 on FireTV still works fine).

-Choppy playback on AVI and some other old format video files on Android devices with hardware acceleration turned on (KODI used to bypass hardware acceleration for formats that don't work correctly under acceleration, but for some bizarre 'coding accuracy, ON MEANS ON' reason turn it on anyway starting in Leia with hardware acceleration leading the end user to have to manually turn it on/off to get smooth playback (ridiculous).

-Large photo libraries/directories (say above 2000+ photos or so, maybe a bit higher) cause extreme slowdown or crashes

Disappointing these features never added the past ten years they were requested:

-Still no ID Tag support for videos nearly 14 years after Apple added it to AppleTV for MP4/M4V (just looks at the problem right now with TVDB scraping being broken; that wouldn't really exist with tag support as you could add the basic info yourself easily or using other sources).  This, despite the fact that the music ID tag reader can already read video tags if videos are relabeled to appear to be music files so how much effort would it have taken to add it all those years ago?  Too bad.  No interest.

-No whole house music sync with other similar devices as KODI doesn't talk to other instances of itself (Apple had it in 2006).

-Central Database organization requires external plugin and external database (i.e. Kodi can't talk to other instances of itself on the network and let them know something has been watched, for example whereas AppleTV tells iTunes that's running on the server and also keeps track of music playback count, etc. for you).  I think you can get this functionality with database plugins, but you have to understand how it works as it's not simple to set up for an end user.

(2019-11-18, 20:03)VonMagnum Wrote:
(2019-11-18, 15:44)Zak11 Wrote:
(2019-11-18, 15:35)VonMagnum Wrote: Thanks for the link, but I'm afraid it might screw something up even worse since there's no way to roll back.  It's not an SMB "server" issue here.  It's a "stops playing" issue.  The SMB3 in question is KODI's implementation, not the server the Shield uses to transfer files to your desktop computer (which was having trouble connecting here recently but seems OK right now when I tried it).      

Let me know if the fix works.  I'll apply the next full update when it's stable.  I'll just use my X9S until then, I guess.  Yeah, it's annoying.  But you're using a free product so you can't expect any support. I'm thinking of looking into Plex again.  I think it supports Atmos passthrough now and since they work for money, they actually listen to bug reports and actually fix things rather than tell you that they'll be looking forward to your submitted fix and other condescending crap.

KODI Issues here compared to other devicesBIG ISSUES (breaks functionality):

-Music skips on network (SMB, NFS don't matter nor does Windows 10 or MacOS server host here; this has existed for many years and never gets looked at; goes away with local playback)

-Music now skips on ProjectM playback on Shield (seemed OK before last firmware update, but now skips when the pattern changes about 20% of the time)

-Movies stop playing randomly on Shield (seems to be Shield issue as KODI 18.4 on FireTV still works fine).

-Choppy playback on AVI and some other old format video files on Android devices with hardware acceleration turned on (KODI used to bypass hardware acceleration for formats that don't work correctly under acceleration, but for some bizarre 'coding accuracy, ON MEANS ON' reason turn it on anyway starting in Leia with hardware acceleration leading the end user to have to manually turn it on/off to get smooth playback (ridiculous).

-Large photo libraries/directories (say above 2000+ photos or so, maybe a bit higher) cause extreme slowdown or crashes

Disappointing these features never added the past ten years they were requested:

-Still no ID Tag support for videos nearly 14 years after Apple added it to AppleTV for MP4/M4V (just looks at the problem right now with TVDB scraping being broken; that wouldn't really exist with tag support as you could add the basic info yourself easily or using other sources).  This, despite the fact that the music ID tag reader can already read video tags if videos are relabeled to appear to be music files so how much effort would it have taken to add it all those years ago?  Too bad.  No interest.

-No whole house music sync with other similar devices as KODI doesn't talk to other instances of itself (Apple had it in 2006).

-Central Database organization requires external plugin and external database (i.e. Kodi can't talk to other instances of itself on the network and let them know something has been watched, for example whereas AppleTV tells iTunes that's running on the server and also keeps track of music playback count, etc. for you).  I think you can get this functionality with database plugins, but you have to understand how it works as it's not simple to set up for an end user. 

Hi, this is the replies i got from the Nvidia Forum

We've not been able to reproduce internally as yet. After kodi exits on you, can you immediately go into settings, device preferences, about, Send Feedback to nvidia
which i have done see what happens

Shield@nvidia
5h
18 Nov 3:09PM
 Close
The HotFix for 2015/2017 smb mention is for the smb server feature, when mounting shield from a windows pc. Mounting something from Kodi does not use this feature and so that issue is not related to your post.

RE: Kodi 18.4 random crashes on the Shield TV - VonMagnum - 2019-11-19

(2019-11-18, 21:53)Zak11 Wrote:
(2019-11-18, 20:03)VonMagnum Wrote:
(2019-11-18, 15:44)Zak11 Wrote: Oh ok, that seems to be my issue SMB Server timeout/disconnect when transferring large files which is listed in that fix also does it in VLC player my main use is using KODI and cant do much with it now and annoyed for how much it cost      

We've not been able to reproduce internally as yet. After kodi exits on you, can you immediately go into settings, device preferences, about, Send Feedback to nvidia

Shield@nvidia
5h
 Close
The HotFix for 2015/2017 smb mention is for the smb server feature, when mounting shield from a windows pc. Mounting something from Kodi does not use this feature and so that issue is not related to your post. 
Well, thanks for trying to get their attention, anyway.  I do think a change in their firmware had something to do with it and my money is on a CEC command that is being overlooked, despite having them all set to OFF in the settings menu because CEC commands are what caused it to stop before.  Now what a CEC command has to do with KODI interpreting that command to STOP I have no idea, but it definitely went away for like a year until that last update.

RE: Kodi 18.4 random crashes on the Shield TV - Zak11 - 2019-11-19

(2019-11-19, 02:42)VonMagnum Wrote:
(2019-11-18, 21:53)Zak11 Wrote:
(2019-11-18, 20:03)VonMagnum Wrote: Let me know if the fix works.  I'll apply the next full update when it's stable.  I'll just use my X9S until then, I guess.  Yeah, it's annoying.  But you're using a free product so you can't expect any support. I'm thinking of looking into Plex again.  I think it supports Atmos passthrough now and since they work for money, they actually listen to bug reports and actually fix things rather than tell you that they'll be looking forward to your submitted fix and other condescending crap.

Shield@nvidia
5h
 Close
Well, thanks for trying to get their attention, anyway.  I do think a change in their firmware had something to do with it and my money is on a CEC command that is being overlooked, despite having them all set to OFF in the settings menu because CEC commands are what caused it to stop before.  Now what a CEC command has to do with KODI interpreting that command to STOP I have no idea, but it definitely went away for like a year until that last update. 
Not tried disabling CEC but dont think its that because i dont get the issue playing 1080p files made me think the 4K files being bigger and some network bug saying that i did also play 16gb 4K which isnt that demanding and it happened, anyway I will be getting Firestick 4K soon just annoyed get this problem and how much the device costs

RE: Kodi 18.4 random crashes on the Shield TV - Zak11 - 2019-11-20

I see 2nd hotfix for 2019 model

Second Hotfix (32.7.301.43): -
Allows Disney+ to be installed from Google Play Store - Changing language crashes TVSettings - Google certification issue where SHIELD was not starting Google TV launcher on pressing Home button on 3rd party launcher - Audio corruption on DACs that don't support 16 bit PCM like Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 - SMB server transfer speed slows to 0 then drops during transfer - Device is not entering in Daydream when Netflix playback is paused - Changing DV resolution from Display & Sound will not reset DV Menu in Quick Setting

it mentions SMB server transfer speed slows to 0 then drops during transfer 

I have signed up to get the update and hope it fixes the issue

RE: Kodi 18.4 random crashes on the Shield TV - VonMagnum - 2019-11-20

I wonder if that Disney+ for the Shield is supposed to support Atmos or not.  All I get here is 5.1 with it while AppleTV 4K gives me Atmos.  But some devices and/or apps need a 4K set and my projector is 2K/3D, but AppleTV doesn't care for iTunes, Netflix or Disney+ and offers Atmos anyway (whereas Vudu and Prime seem to require the 4K stream to get them and won't give you the 4K stream if you don't have a 4K set).

RE: Kodi 18.4 random crashes on the Shield TV - Zak11 - 2019-11-20

The Second Hotfix didnt fix issue with kodi randomly stopping video had high hopes oh well back to the Firestick 4K, even thing on Nvidia forum they deleted my post about it

RE: Kodi 18.4 random crashes on the Shield TV - Bladerunner1962 - 2019-11-25

Some months ago I thought, my random crashes with Kodi (now version 18.4) on Nvidia Shield are gone and solved.
I increased the buffer log limit to 16GB. And it worked for some time, having no crashes.

Now, since update Kodi to 18.4 if have the crashes back :-(
Always after 20-50 minutes Kodi crashes.
Also sometimes, if I start Kodi new after starting the Nvidia Shield it crashes after some seconds or minutes without looking a movie or hear music. Sometimes I get these crashes on start more times behind another.

I use my files via SMB on Windows 10 with passwords.

I see, other members here are also struggling with this kind of crashes.

Again I have no idea, if the crashes belongs to SMB or not. If there would be an issue for secondes with the speed or interrupts of SMB, normally Kodi would buffer the video or the music. So was it solved with Kodi in the past.

Comes on the end Nvidia Shield to the maximum, cause I have in my database lots of movies, music files and photos. Could be that be the reason?

So Kodi on Nivdia Shield is not reliable and the fun goes more and more.

RE: Kodi 18.4 random crashes on the Shield TV - VonMagnum - 2019-11-26

Yeah, it sucks doesn't it?  I bought an (expensive) NVidia Shield becuase I was told repeatedly how much FireTVs SUCKED for KODI.  The ironic thing is that other than not supporting Atmos/X and the like, KODI runs almost perfect on my FireTV 2nd Gen unit (save it skips on music sooner or later played over the network, whether NFS or SMB on the Mac and SMB3 on Windows 10).  I can't say the same thing for the Nvidia Shield (random stopping of the movie and now the ProjectM visualizer causes skips in music when it changes patterns for some odd unknown reason).